PDA

View Full Version : FAVORITE stocking stuffer items for the kids =)

calv
10-17-2013, 11:26 AM
what are some fun/different things to put in the XMas stockings? I know many do tooth brushes and such but looking for unique ideas! TIA =)

Binkandabee
10-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Every year I put a personalized ornament in my girls stockings. It's a representation of them for that year, their interests, an activity they participated in, something along those lines. The girls LOVE this ornament that they believe Santa made just for them :) I've ordered them from Etsy and christmasspiritshop. We put them on the tree every year and when the girls have their own trees, it will be something that they can use as adults as well. Thanks for posting this....I need to get on getting these ordered :).

calv
10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
Every year I put a personalized ornament in my girls stockings. It's a representation of them for that year, their interests, an activity they participated in, something along those lines. The girls LOVE this ornament that they believe Santa made just for them :) I've ordered them from Etsy and christmasspiritshop. We put them on the tree every year and when the girls have their own trees, it will be something that they can use as adults as well. Thanks for posting this....I need to get on getting these ordered :).

LOVE this. we too do this tradition (because when I got my new house I had a fabulous/meaningful stash of ornaments for my own tree) but we all go together to pick it out on the day we get our santa pics done. Wish I had thought of the from Santa idea.

elliput
10-17-2013, 11:56 AM
For the past several years, I have included a Holztiger figure, a Playmobil mystery figure, and some sort of silly wind up or novelty toy.

crl
10-17-2013, 12:28 PM
Oil pastels and a small sketch book wen over well last year with both my 14 year old niece and my 2 year old dd. Ds, age nine at the time, also like it. My 11 year old nephew, not so much.

For or little kids, bubbles, sidewalk chalk (assuming you aren't snowed in) and play silks have all been hits.

Catherine

Tenasparkl
10-17-2013, 01:52 PM
I just got some little bagged lego friends sets and some rainbow loom bands.

musicalgrl
10-17-2013, 01:56 PM
I haven't done this yet, but a few people on this board have mentioned rolls of scotch tape. My DD was REALLY into taping things last year, but I bet she could get into it again, so I always keep it in the back of my mind. I thought that it was a clever idea for a stocking, as I'm always looking for things that meet the 'size' criteria.

gymnbomb
10-17-2013, 02:40 PM
Last year my Mom did a pair of scissors in everyone's stocking because we always need them and are searching for them when opening presents. Our family has always been big on school/office supplies, so we often get things like fun pens, highlighters, post-it notes, etc. For younger kids maybe markers, crayons, stickers, or stamps?

lhafer
10-17-2013, 02:43 PM
We also do ornaments that represent whatever my kids were into that year. DD has ornaments of stuff like a penguin, Scoobydoo, Rudolph, etc. I love it! I will have to check out those other sites - I tend to just get mine at a hallmark store.

Also, I usually give small LED flashlights, and those are always a huge hit.

Blue Hydrangea
10-17-2013, 02:52 PM
Mine are still pretty little, so I'm doing a Little People tube and maybe puffs for the baby, and will make sure to include a couple new matchbox or hotwheels for DS.

ahisma
10-17-2013, 04:30 PM
I think I'm going to focus on art supplies. I'm trying to pick up cool stuff here and there - more fun than the old standards.

calv
10-17-2013, 04:39 PM
wonder if Kinder will have Christmas eggs? I know our kids LOVE LOVE those at Easter time!

fauve01
10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
we always get fun socks, a paperback, and a yummy chocolate treat. a small puzzle if I can find one. DD gets art supplies and activity book.

Forgot: also always get lip balm or gloss.

essnce629
10-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Last year I got the "hot chocolate on a stick" from Etsy that someone mentioned here.

I usually do at least one book. A small Lego set. Chocolate coins. A video game or Leappad game.

What about a fizzy or scented bath bomb?

hillview
10-17-2013, 08:59 PM
honestly candy is a BIG hit (rare here)

AngelaS
10-17-2013, 11:06 PM
Last year the biggest hit was whoopie cushions.

wallawala
10-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Last year the biggest hit was whoopie cushions.

Love this!! Will be in our stockings this year!!

inmypjs
10-18-2013, 12:53 AM
Lottery tickets!

kboyle
10-21-2013, 06:15 PM
we put whoopie cushions in last year and it was HUGE hit too!! all our gift cards will go into their stockings this year (iTunes, playstation points, xbox points), lego miniatures bag, gum (which i never buy them) and suckers, some sort of stuffed animal, tooth brush, chap stick, rolled up pair of pj pants, maybe a nintendo ds game

ellies mom
10-21-2013, 06:24 PM
I haven't done this yet, but a few people on this board have mentioned rolls of scotch tape. My DD was REALLY into taping things last year, but I bet she could get into it again, so I always keep it in the back of my mind. I thought that it was a clever idea for a stocking, as I'm always looking for things that meet the 'size' criteria.

We do rolls of scotch tape because the girls always tear through it so quickly that we (the adults) can never find it when we need it. So this way, they have their very own roll to do what they want. The other thing we have given them in the past is boxes of "character" band-aids for basically the same reason. They can go to town covering every nick and bruise and we can still find bandages when it really does matter.

I also do clementines or oranges because it was something that was always in my stocking as a kid that I just did not understand until I was an adult. My mom got them also, so I figure it is a great tradition even if an orange just isn't a special once a year treat anymore.

Corie
10-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Little glass figurines at GlassWorld.com

Super cool for their printer's box! :)

Sweetsunshine
10-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Not sure where to find them but flashlights on headbands. Kind of like a miner's hat with a light. My neighbor's kids had them this summer and they were the envy of the neighborhood.

aa2mama
10-21-2013, 11:46 PM
One of the big hits from last year's Christmas stockings were finger laser lights. I found them at Michaels.

Tondi G
10-22-2013, 12:07 AM
my boys each get an ornament in their stocking ... I try to find things that have some significance in their life during the year. DS1 has received a kid doing TKD, a penguin (his fav. animal), a mini nutcracker soldier (he loved them that year) a tiny videogame controller.... DS2 has received a truck (he was obsessed as a toddler), a kitty cat, a guitar etc.

last year we found these funny switchblade combs ... they were tiny mustache combs... DS2 particularly thought they were hysterical.

We have done small test tube looking things with that "snow" that you add water to the powder and it grows

mentos tubes for geysers

mini lego sets

lip balm

M&Ms or jelly bellies

they both love getting Christmas themed bubble tape bubble gum (target usually has it at Xmas time) http://www.candywarehouse.com/occasions/christmas-candy/christmas-candy-stocking-stuffers/products/hubba-bubba-santa-claus-bubble-tape-rolls-12-piece-box/

DS2 loves the Christmas "coal" we have found chocolates and gum

http://www.candywarehouse.com/products/santas-sacks-of-coal-chocolates-18-piece-box/?SSFEAT=1884CandyWarehouseCategoryMostPop-1379028411462&SREF=CustomerSite&SFBState=Unknown

http://www.candywarehouse.com/products/santas-coal-black-bubble-gum-satchels-12-piece-box/

Little flashlights are good

we did the Hexbug nano Christmas bugs ... they have little antlers that clip on and come in a little "ornament" ball packaging

We put tiny remote control cars in their stockings one year.

IansMom
10-22-2013, 09:33 AM
Not sure where to find them but flashlights on headbands. Kind of like a miner's hat with a light. My neighbor's kids had them this summer and they were the envy of the neighborhood.

I think Land of Nod carries these

lizzywednesday
10-22-2013, 09:38 AM

LL Bean carries them: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/71311?feat=506866-GN2&page=trailblazer-jr-headlamp

Land of Nod carries them: http://www.landofnod.com/stocking-stuffers/toys-gifts/light-the-way-head-lamp-red/f11358

REI carries them: http://www.rei.com/search?search=headlamps&origin=Google&cat=40006363&hist=search%2Cheadlamps^cat%2C40006363%3AKids%27+H eadlamps

123LuckyMom
10-22-2013, 11:23 AM
we did the Hexbug nano Christmas bugs ... they have little antlers that clip on and come in a little "ornament" ball packaging

I have GOT to find these! I was going to suggest hexbug nanos, but I had no idea there were ones with little antlers! How great!!!

lizzywednesday
10-22-2013, 11:59 AM
I have GOT to find these! I was going to suggest hexbug nanos, but I had no idea there were ones with little antlers! How great!!!

I found ours at Barnes & Noble last year.

BunnyBee
10-22-2013, 12:30 PM

Costco had them in three packs last year.

BabyBearsMom
10-22-2013, 02:22 PM
I usually do hair clips/headbands, lip balm, tooth brush, a little treat, crayons/markers, stickers, small coloring books. This year, DD1 has requested a jump rope and a yoyo so I will be including both of those. DD2 will probably get some little books and little cars.

Tondi G
10-23-2013, 01:05 AM

I believe we got ours at Radio Shack that year. I feel like I remember seeing them at Target as well.

Tondi G
10-23-2013, 01:06 AM

They have them on their website http://www.hexbug.com/hexbug-nano-christmas-ornament.html

calv
11-20-2013, 01:36 PM
bumping since we are getting closer ;)

elbenn
11-20-2013, 02:10 PM
I found ours at Barnes & Noble last year.

What's a good price for these? Amazon has them for $10 for two.

calv
11-20-2013, 02:14 PM
What's a good price for these? Amazon has them for $10 for two.

same price! They're $4.99 at target w/the holiday toys/stocking stuffer section

baymom
11-20-2013, 02:18 PM
We do a lot of the things already mentioned (mini lego figure bags, lip balm, hair accessories, candy, flashlight/headlights, ect.), BUT the thing that they get the biggest giggle out of has been socks/underwear/camisoles for some reason. I initially did it a few years ago, just to make the stocking look like it had more bulk and because those items truly needed to be replenished. Turns out it was hilariously funny and they got a kick out of telling all their friends and so now it's become a tradition with Santa! I'm stealing PP's idea of whoopie cushions this year....how fun! Do you just order them on Amazon is there a B&M place where I can find whoopie cushions?

YouAreTheFocus
11-20-2013, 03:00 PM
If anyone is still looking for the Xmas ornament hexbugs, you can get them on eBay 2 for 9.99 & FS.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pk-Hexbug-Nano-Christmas-Tree-Ornaments-Robotic-Bug-Toy-Reindeer-Holiday-Gift-/390688587506

Dream
11-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Last year I got the "hot chocolate on a stick" from Etsy that someone mentioned here.

I usually do at least one book. A small Lego set. Chocolate coins. A video game or Leappad game.

What about a fizzy or scented bath bomb?

Can you please recommend the hot chocolate on a stick you got? Seller?

blisstwins
11-27-2013, 01:40 PM
I gave whoopie cushions as part of the favor at my 9yos bday (circus/clown theme) and I have never given anything that was such a hit. True joy, though parents hate me.

baymom
11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
I gave whoopie cushions as part of the favor at my 9yos bday (circus/clown theme) and I have never given anything that was such a hit. True joy, though parents hate me.

Where did you buy them? I think my DS would LOVE that in his stocking!

mommylamb
11-27-2013, 02:13 PM
World Market has whoopie cushions and all sorts of similar gag type stocking stuffers. Things like hand buzzers, invisible ink writing sets, gadgets that make fart and burp noises, fake rotten teeth and the like. I got DS1 an inflatable tongue there.

ETA: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/whoopie-cushion-on-keychain.do?from=Search&cx=0 this one is on a keychain, but I saw regular whoopie cushions in the B&M store.

baymom
11-27-2013, 02:26 PM
World Market has whoopie cushions and all sorts of similar gag type stocking stuffers. Things like hand buzzers, invisible ink writing sets, gadgets that make fart and burp noises, fake rotten teeth and the like. I got DS1 an inflatable tongue there.

ETA: http://www.worldmarket.com/product/whoopie-cushion-on-keychain.do?from=Search&cx=0 this one is on a keychain, but I saw regular whoopie cushions in the B&M store.

Thanks Mommylamb! Will have to check out my World Market!

Minnifer
11-27-2013, 03:03 PM
Land of Nod has them too and free shipping right now :)

KDsMommy
11-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Oh boy, whoopie cushions would be a HUGE hit here...but do I really want to go down that road?! LOL

Minnifer
11-27-2013, 03:39 PM
Oh boy, whoopie cushions would be a HUGE hit here...but do I really want to go down that road?! LOLI was debating the same thing - my kids are obsessed enough with, ahem, tooting now... lol

essnce629
11-27-2013, 03:48 PM
Can you please recommend the hot chocolate on a stick you got? Seller?

I just checked my account and the etsy seller I bought them from no longer sells them. Now she just does dog treats?!

lizzywednesday
11-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh boy, whoopie cushions would be a HUGE hit here...but do I really want to go down that road?! LOL

As my DH says there are several things that are as certain as death & taxes.

That "fart" will always equal "funny" to little boys (and not-so-little ones, if we're being completely honest here) is one.

Get the whoopee cushions.

lizzywednesday
11-28-2013, 11:40 PM
DD has BEGGED for these "gold doubloons" since seeing the display at the See's stand in the mall:

http://www.sees.com/prod.cfm/Milk_Chocolates/gold_coins

We got them last year and they are, hands down, THE BEST chocolate coins out there.

I also do boring stuff like toothbrushes, lip balm, tissues, and hand lotion/sanitizer.

DD also begged for one of those liquid-and-glitter-filled "wands" … so I'm going to get her one.

KDsMommy
12-05-2013, 02:26 PM
As my DH says there are several things that are as certain as death & taxes.

That "fart" will always equal "funny" to little boys (and not-so-little ones, if we're being completely honest here) is one.

Get the whoopee cushions.

OK, you've talked me into it...now to try to find them. I could swear I've seen whoopie cushions at Dollar Tree in the past but I looked a few days ago and didn't see them.

KDsMommy
12-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I just ordered 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Loftus-0365-Inflate-Whoopee-Cushion/dp/B0006GK6X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386268024&sr=8-1&keywords=whoopie+cushion from the seller "Zowie Fun" since they had free shipping and were $2.50 cheaper than Amazon. The boys are going to go crazy over these!

lizzywednesday
12-06-2013, 02:09 PM
OK, you've talked me into it...now to try to find them. I could swear I've seen whoopie cushions at Dollar Tree in the past but I looked a few days ago and didn't see them.

I just ordered 2 of these: http://www.amazon.com/Loftus-0365-Inflate-Whoopee-Cushion/dp/B0006GK6X4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386268024&sr=8-1&keywords=whoopie+cushion from the seller "Zowie Fun" since they had free shipping and were $2.50 cheaper than Amazon. The boys are going to go crazy over these!

Part of the fun of having survived two little brothers and a divorced father when I was a teenager was developing a sensibility for bathroom humor. It helped me get along quite well with the 8-year-old son of a woman my dad dated seriously for a while - he would belch & fart to try and get me to squirm. I rolled my eyes and told him he could do better. The kid laughed … and never belched or farted in my direction again.

It makes me a great favorite with my younger cousins and all the nephews.

oneplustwo
12-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Some new things I'm doing this year are combination padlocks like this http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-1500T-Combination-Alike-2-Pack/dp/B00004SQLJ/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1386393031&sr=8-11&keywords=padlock and Harry Potter Bertie Botts: http://www.amazon.com/Bertie-Botts-Flavour-Jelly-Potter/dp/B005BFJGJU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1386393293&sr=8-3&keywords=bertie+botts+every+flavor+beans.

Oh, and Toblerone candy bars; we love those. :)

Other items for the stockings this year will be Lego minifigure mystery bags for the boys, mini microscopes (these came up last year on the BBB), chocolate gold coins.

lizzywednesday
12-08-2013, 06:15 PM

Oh, and Toblerone candy bars; we love those. :)

Those are my go-to for fancy candy for DD and I. Have you tried the salted caramel milk chocolate kind? (They are in the blue tube with red lettering - I get ours at Target.)

oneplustwo
12-10-2013, 12:56 AM
Those are my go-to for fancy candy for DD and I. Have you tried the salted caramel milk chocolate kind? (They are in the blue tube with red lettering - I get ours at Target.)

Oh, so that's what those are! I saw those in our supermarket when I picked up the regular ones. Didn't stop to look at them but they were blue tubes. Will go back to check them out. We were gobbling down salted caramel ice cream tonight so I bet the kids would like these too. Thanks for the tip!

georgiegirl
12-10-2013, 08:47 AM
We are doing lego mini figs, flashlights, whoopie cushions (thanks for that idea!), chocolate coins, stickers, pirate map (if the etsy seller ever decides to ship it) and good doubloons. I will probably put an orange in the toe.

Mikey0709
12-10-2013, 08:59 AM
So am I the only one whose kid asked for:

FAKE POOP!!!

Lucky me.... And who knew five below had quite a selection....dog, cat, brown, black, large, small.... And I also ended up with a poop pen for a $1

lizzywednesday
12-10-2013, 10:30 AM
So am I the only one whose kid asked for:

FAKE POOP!!!

Lucky me.... And who knew five below had quite a selection....dog, cat, brown, black, large, small.... And I also ended up with a poop pen for a $1

I love it.

At least it's not fake vomit.