PDA

View Full Version : What winter boots do you love (for you)?

Hemlock
10-17-2013, 09:18 PM
So I NEED new winter boots. I have been wearing the same grandma-style boots for the last 4-5 winters. I am. in Canada, so I need boots for real winter weather. I am looking for something stylish, comfy and warm for everyday use. So what do you love?

georgiegirl
10-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I have sorel Joan of arctic, the shale color.

http://www.sorel.com/womens-joan-of-arctic-boot-NL1540.html

Mommy_Mea
10-17-2013, 09:31 PM
I bought sorel Cate the great this summer, but have yet to wear them. I bought them after hearing my sil rave about hers...

ourbabygirl
10-17-2013, 10:25 PM
I also live in a very wintery climate, but just got the Sorel Tofinos this past summer (so haven't been able to use them yet). I love the looks of the other Sorels (mentioned above), but when I tried them on, they just seemed too over-the-top for what I would need, and like a bit of a pain to put on with all the laces and fitting my pants under them and stuff. I'm really hoping that my Tofinos and Hunters will keep me warm and dry enough over the winter- they should be better than the cheapy Target snow boots I've been using the past number of years. :)

ETA after looking at the link, they may have redesigned/ renamed the Tofinos, because the ones I got are much shorter... the other styles just add so much bulk to my (already 'athletic') legs, they didn't do me any favors. :rotflmao:

MontrealMum
10-17-2013, 10:38 PM
I have 3 pairs of true winter boots, which meet 3 different needs. At least, that's how I'm defending it :) Hey, I live in Canada, I have tons of boots and coats to fulfill our crazy weather needs ;)

My everyday boots are Keen Berns, which are lightly lined and good for walking with no heel and a grippy sole. I can wear them most days, weatherwise, unless I'm doing a lot of standing around. On the cold days they're not great for waiting at the bus stop. They are water resistant, not waterproof.

My other everyday boots are Ugg Jillians which have the advantage of a heel (for when I wear untucked pants), and are much warmer. I :heartbeat: them. Even with a heel they're good for walking, and very grippy. Again, not waterproof, but with our long winters that's not a huge problem. By the time there are puddles here I can usually do a rubber boot with wool socks or liners.

Lastly, I have Sorel Tofino boots. I bought these to replace my Sorel Caribous (original design, pre-Columbia buyout) which, while super warm, were not comfortable to walk in, and not very grippy. I am much happier with the Tofinos. Though they are probably not as warm, it's a rare day that I'd need that much warmth. I expect to wear them for winter walks, snow activities such as sledding and standing around ski areas, and for waiting for the bus on cold days. I have not worn them in the winter yet, but recently wore them on a camping trip where the nighttime temps hovered around 3 and we were outdoors constantly. They were great for walking, and I felt very stable on the rocks where I'd previously worn hiking boots in warmer weather. Also, they're waterproof.

mommylamb
10-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I have sorel tofinos too, and I love them. I like the cates and Joans, but honestly, I like the look of the tofinos more, and they're more practical for the mild mid-atlantic winters.

The other winter boots I've always coveted, but never owned are La Canadienne. They have so many pretty styles, but they're $$$.

wendibird22
10-18-2013, 09:23 AM
I love my Bogs. Got them last year and wore them throughout the winter. I HATE lacing up/tying boots so a slip on is a must for me. I also have ridiculously freezing feet all year round and Bogs keep me warm. I wear them to/from work with dress pants and to sled and play in the snow with the kids. I have the "mid" height version: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bogs+mid

TwinFoxes
10-18-2013, 09:25 AM
I have a bit of a winter boot problem (admitting it is the first step, right?) I have Cate the Greats, Tofinos, Ugg Jillians, another pair of Uggs from long ago that look like short Jillians, Kamiks, a pair of LE Ugg knock offs, and lastly (I think) I just bought a pair of LL Beans boots (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57134?feat=506936-CL2&page=women-s-insulated-comfort-boots) that are super comfy (in fact t hey're called insulated comfort boots) that will probably get a lot of wear. Oh, and a pair of Stuart Weitzman shearling boots that finally might get retired.

Stylish comfy and warm, I'd go with either Uggs (I don't think they make the Jillian any more, but I'm sure there's something similar) or the LL Beans I linked to. I love my Cates and Tofinos, but they're a bit much for every day.

Agree with mommylamb about the La Canadienne boots. Gorgeous, but pricey, and probably more than I need.

jgenie
10-18-2013, 09:47 AM
For those with the Ugg Jillians, do they run TTS?

MontrealMum
10-18-2013, 01:12 PM
For those with the Ugg Jillians, do they run TTS?
I've found that they do.

I also have 2 prs. of La Canadiennes, but I didn't include those in my inventory because they're not very warm. But they're very stylish! I wear them as dress boots for times that I'll be driven to an event, or for the in-between weather of late fall/early spring when it's not super cold.

Hemlock
10-25-2013, 02:35 PM
So, I really liked the look of Uggs Jillian, but it looks like they have been discontinued??. Can anyone recommend something similar. I'm looking for something that doesn't scream "huge winter boots".

jgenie
10-25-2013, 02:49 PM
So, I really liked the look of Uggs Jillian, but it looks like they have been discontinued??. Can anyone recommend something similar. I'm looking for something that doesn't scream "huge winter boots".

I like them too and was disappointed to find out they're discontinued. I just bought the Keen-Akita-High-Boot (http://www.amazon.com/Keen-Womens-Akita-High-Slate/dp/B006RAI5KE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382727074&sr=8-1&keywords=keen+akita+high+boot) on Amazon on sale. I think they're similar - they have the wedge heel at least. I haven't worn them out but they seem comfortable.

ETA: Just realized the Jillian's don't have a wedge heel. Oops…..I saw a pair of Ugg's at Marshall's last year that had a wedge heel but they were the wrong size. I had those in my head as being Jillian boots.

joonbug
10-25-2013, 06:13 PM
Sorel tofino in black/ gray plaid, got them last fall and wore them in the winter, they were perfect for walking in snow, slush and sledding with DD (tried the Cate the Greats and as much as I loved the look, they were too much for my small frame and suburban NJ lol)..