PDA

View Full Version : Surgical Menopause

Binkandabee
10-18-2013, 12:03 PM
I am 3, almost 4 weeks post-op from my laprascopic supracervical hysterectomy and oophorectomy. During the surgery it was discovered that I have a very deep pocket of endometriosis, so it's been recommended to me that I not start estrogen replacement for at least 6 months (I am on a calcium and vitamin D supplement in the interim). Other than being cold all the time I'm not feeling much different than I did before surgery. Is it just a matter of time for me to start experiencing the typical menopause symptoms? I'm 36 and probably do have quite a bit of estrogen stored up, but a month's worth seems like a lot. Anyone have any insight?

abh5e8
10-18-2013, 03:02 PM
no insight...but could not read without posting. hugs mama! I hope the 6 months passes quickly for ya.

Indianamom2
10-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I'm glad you made it through your surgery ok. I was wondering how you were doing. I have no advice as I haven't BTDT, but I hope that everything goes smoothly for you.

StantonHyde
10-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Let's hope they have a menopause chat room that is as nice as the BBB!!! Cuz it looks like several of us are going to need one!

arivecchi
10-18-2013, 09:54 PM
No advice but glad to hear the surgery is behind you now!

TwinFoxes
10-18-2013, 10:20 PM
Just sending hugs. :hug5:

scriptkitten
10-18-2013, 10:35 PM
i'm in surgical menopause. it could be 1 month or it could be 6 months before you start to feel symptoms. i'm on HRT. i couldn't survive otherwise. women in my family get hit very hard by menopausal symptoms and the benefits of therapy outweigh the risks of not taking it.

*hugs*

you know... no doctor has the perfect answer for you. its sort of trial and error to figure out the best course of action to take...i've been in surgical menopause since i was 12. i have a uterus but no ovaries, which is why i was able to carry my children.

Rainbows&Roses
10-19-2013, 11:09 PM
when I was thrust into chemopause, it took a few months before the hot flashes showed up. I vacillate between really hot and really cold but I am now on tamoxifen so that doesn't help matters. Hoping my hypothalamus adjust soon.

sntm
10-19-2013, 11:32 PM
It's also affected by your liver and fatty tissue production of estrogen.

Binkandabee
10-20-2013, 02:14 PM
It's also affected by your liver and fatty tissue production of estrogen.

Can you elaborate on this? I don't understand what that means?

scriptkitten
10-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Fatty tissue doesn't produce estrogen. However it does hold on to estrogen that your body produces. If you are thin you won't have as much in store.

The neat thing was that during pregnancy my twins' placentas produced enough estrogen so that I didn't need to be on any hormones during pregnancy.

sntm
10-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Fatty tissue doesn't produce estrogen. .

Fatty tissue is one of the main tissues where aromatase is located and production of estrogen occurs after ovarian failure, also including bone, brain, liver, an other tissues. Whiich is one theory as to why obese women are more likely to develop breast cancer.