PDA

View Full Version : What age to introduce water?

kaharris83
10-19-2013, 07:47 PM
DS2 will be 1 in less than a month. I'm pretty sure I was giving DS1 sippies of water by now but when I asked the pedi at 9 months if I should be giving water she said no. I'm not trying to have water replace breastmilk. He only nurses about 3x during the day and usually 3x overnight and I worry that's not enough. We are headed to FL for 2 weeks and I want to be sure he stays hydrated so was wondering if I should be giving him water too.

TwinFoxes
10-19-2013, 08:04 PM
My SIL is a PICU nurse practitioner. When DDs were 6 months (3 adjusted) she said it was ok to give them small amounts of water. (She traveled with me when I moved 3000 miles, best companion EVER with two preemies!) By a year I think they were drinking a few ounces at a time when it was hot out. (A few meaning 2-3).

AngB
10-19-2013, 08:20 PM
I started giving a sippy of water with meals about 7-8 months. (Ped was fine with that.) I don't think he ever even finished off a full ounce, it was mostly play/practice for him. He turns one in a week and just in the last couple days I've been offering a sippy with whole milk instead of water. (I am SO ready to wean and I've been on my period for the last couple weeks and don't think my supply is what it used to be since DS keeps getting fussy and crying and pulling off while nursing.) At 11 months I would definitely have no qualms about giving/offering water.

Green_Tea
10-19-2013, 08:29 PM
I started giving water in a sippy to DD1 at around 6 months, when it became clear that she was NEVER going to take a bottle. I would give it to her at mealtimes, and it's how she learned to use a sippy cup. She basically played with it, and would take sips.

My recommendation is to never give water in a bottle, only a sippy cup. That way they figure out a sippy and never associate water with a bottle - one less habit to break.

BunnyBee
10-19-2013, 08:34 PM
We started giving water to practice using a straw cup with around 6 months. It entertained the kids more than anything. :) I only offer water with food while the babies are still nursing. I introduce whole milk after a year, more after they wean.

kaharris83
10-19-2013, 08:40 PM
Guess I was right and I'm behind the curve. Even though he's my second I feel like I forgot everything from DS1. But he EP'd and only had bottles so working with nursing is new to me. I worry about losing my supply.

DS2 only takes a bottle so it will be a sippy. A few of you also mentioned the other question I had, which was do you introduce milk after 1 even if you plan to continue nursing. Sounds like some of you do.

Green_Tea
10-19-2013, 08:53 PM
Guess I was right and I'm behind the curve. Even though he's my second I feel like I forgot everything from DS1. But he EP'd and only had bottles so working with nursing is new to me. I worry about losing my supply.

You're not behind the curve at all! If a baby is nursing frequently, they don't really NEED the water. But it is totally fine to give it, and let them practice with a sippy.

TwinFoxes
10-19-2013, 09:14 PM
You're not behind the curve at all! If a baby is nursing frequently, they don't really NEED the water. But it is totally fine to give it, and let them practice with a sippy.

:yeahthat:

mikala
10-19-2013, 11:43 PM
DS2 only takes a bottle so it will be a sippy. A few of you also mentioned the other question I had, which was do you introduce milk after 1 even if you plan to continue nursing. Sounds like some of you do.

I'm still nursing my 14 mo and just discussed milk with his pediatrician. She's fine with giving him water for now since he nurses 3-4x a day, is a healthy weight and eats cheese and yogurt. She said it was also fine to introduce milk at any point but to limit consumption to 12-16 oz. I'm holding off for now because I want to focus on eating real food and I don't think there is a nutritional need since I'm nursing and he eats a varied diet. I'm also hesitant to put anything but water in a cup while he's still regularly chucking his cup to the ground at the end of meals.

I've given him water with meals in a straw cup since 8 months or so. I figured it was a good habit to take small sips of water while eating and it's something he sees us do. I'd rather not nurse him mid meal so a straw cup of water had to do.