PDA

View Full Version : Where does your DH buy clothes?

BabyBearsMom
10-20-2013, 02:35 PM
DH wants a more "updated" look. I always just got him simple basics from Target but he's been working out a lot and wants to pay more attention to his appearance. Where do men shop? He isn't into the whole "metro" look, more classics. I feel like most men's fashion is geared towards teenagers or is old mannish.

SnuggleBuggles
10-20-2013, 02:39 PM
That's funny. :) Dh doesn't shop- I do. But, he likes/ approves of things I get at Banana Republic, Gap for basics and Macy's Alfani brand stuff. He can wear jeans and t's to work so he doesn't wear anything fancy. I bought 2 button downs and Express last year that had some fun style too. I get more basics at Costco too- their Timberland thermals are a good staple.

cookiemonster80
10-20-2013, 02:42 PM
DH is pretty classic- lucky/banana republic jeans usually, Polos and button downs from Polo, Lands End, Brooks Brothers. He wears these shoes with everything
http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-santa-barbara-saddle-tan

HannaAddict
10-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Nordstrom.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-20-2013, 02:47 PM
That's funny. :) Dh doesn't shop- I do.

:yeahthat: i'm convinced my DH would wear rags if it was allowed. he doesn't give a rat's hat what he wears, in terms of looks (it just has to be comfortable). all he wears are T-shirts from Old Navy and cargo pants (Old Navy, Land's end). A slightly dressier thing (out to eat at a restaurant) he wears polo shirts (Land's End). Occasionally he would get a zip up sweater from Costco. So i guess those are the staples..Land's End, Old Navy and Costco (often Kirkland brand). I love Banana Republic for my own work clothes, but DH turns up his nose at it and says it screams "metrosexual." :shrug:

I wonder if I would win the contest of whose DH here cares the absolute least about clothing. He's picky only in the sense of it has to be super comfortable/loose fitting, and it can't look trendy at all. the days he has to travel and wear a suit, he's in agony and changes as soon as he gets home. He hates fashion and thinks it's the silliest thing to spend any sort of money on "fashion" apparel (though thankfully he allows me do so :)). It's been moreso lately and he's been spending a lot of time out on bases doing testing for work, being eat alive by insects and the like

BabyBearsMom
10-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Just to clarify, I still have to shop for him, he just wants to look a little more "spruced up". He loathes shopping. He wears suits to work everyday because he has to. This is more weekend attire. I got him some straight cut Levi's jeans that he really likes but he wants some shirts and a fall jacket.

mommylamb
10-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Why don't you check out the men's section at next? I think their clothes look nice. DH has a few things from there. Mostly though he's a gap/BR guy. Sometimes j crew from the outlets. However I do not usually buy DH's clothes for him. He would rather do that himself for he most part.

crl
10-20-2013, 03:11 PM
Nordstrom mostly.

Catherine

boolady
10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
DH gets some things from Nordstrom and Macys, but he gets a lot more from Gap and Banana Republic . BR may have some metrosexual things, but they have a lot of preppy, classic basics. He should go with you and try the various trouser styles to see what he likes. I also get DH Lucky Brand jeans, because they give him a particularly pleasing rear view, IMHO. :)

etwahl
10-20-2013, 03:24 PM
Nordstrom. In fact I recently had him meet with my stylist and she did a great job for him. We explained his style and she totally worked with that. A good Nordstrom stylist is worth its weight in gold!

scriptkitten
10-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Nordstrom, banana republic. H&M can be okay for jeans.

Kindra178
10-20-2013, 04:26 PM
Banana Republic.

gymnbomb
10-20-2013, 04:27 PM
My DH gets most of his clothes from Old Navy, supplemented by what I (or my Mom when she is bored) gets him on sale from places like Eddie Bauer, JC Penney, Dillards, etc. He has gotten a couple pair of pants he likes from the Banana Republic outlet and has a navy blazer from Brooks Brothers outlet for times he needs to be dressed up. He wears the relaxed/broken in khakis from Old Navy with a company polo for work, and otherwise is jeans/t-shirt most of the time and nicer khakis/polo/casual button down when I tell him he needs to step it up a bit.

TxCat
10-20-2013, 04:30 PM
Nordstrom, Banana Republic, Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren/Polo. Shoes and belts usually Cole Haan. For Christmas the last few years I've been buying DH nice shirts, ties and coats from Thomas Pink, Façonnable, and Burberry.

weech
10-20-2013, 04:33 PM
DH has a really nice military-style jacket and some sweaters from Macys, some things from H&M. We buy most of his cotton t-shirts (short and longsleeved) as well as casual button ups from Timberland. He usually wears Levis, so we get them anywhere from Costco to Kohls. As you can tell, we're not into paying a lot for casual clothes :)

Green_Tea
10-20-2013, 04:51 PM
Banana Republic, Gap, Old Navy, J Crew. Some shirts from Lands End, sometimes Rack.

rolypoly27
10-20-2013, 04:55 PM
J. Crew mostly. Brooks Brothers for dress shirts.

speo
10-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Macys, Sport Chalet, and Lucky. Most if his clothes are Lucky, Levi, Prana, Quiksilver, and other surfing apparel brands. Most of his t-shirts come from the sporting goods store. My DH works from home and has very few business clothes. He despises Nordstrom for men. He has some Kenneth Cole, Calving Klein and Michael Kors.

YouAreTheFocus
10-20-2013, 05:05 PM
Gap/BR/ON, Macy's, Nordstrom, H&M, Lucky, Lacoste...that's all I can think of now. He does like shopping and will go buy clothes on his own. Last week on his lunch break he went to Saks and tried on a $1600 jacket...needless to say he left empty-handed :)

Tenasparkl
10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Gap or Levi's for jeans. His mom and sister always buy him sweaters and dress shirts from Banana & J. crew for holidays so we rarely buy stuff like that for him. Tshirts from all over - gap, target, American Apparel, Nordstrom and lots from friends bands, podcasts etc. that he gets for free.

westwoodmom04
10-20-2013, 05:37 PM
My dh has a pretty limited shopping universe -- Nordstrom, BR, Under Armour, Vineyard Vines, Brooks Brothers.

cvanbrunt
10-20-2013, 07:02 PM
Nordstrom and BR. I'm trying to expand his universe but it isn't working.

hillview
10-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Nordstrom and some Boden

DualvansMommy
10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Nordstrom & kohls for his pants like the classic dockers, shirts from Brooks Brothers, Land ends, and t shirts from Costco.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TwinFoxes
10-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Nordstrom primarily. BR for stylish sweaters mostly, LE for outerwear and warmer clothes. I can't remember the last time I bought him something from anywhere else.

BunnyBee
10-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Mostly Nordstrom and Brooks Brothers for basics, then Nordstrom Rack and Marshall's for random items. He enjoys shopping though and is friends with the ladies at Marshall's and has gotten some great scoops there.

twowhat?
10-20-2013, 09:22 PM
Banana Republic.

:yeahthat: and I do most of his shopping for him. But if he feels like he "needs" something, like more shirts, BR is the first place he goes. I have also gotten a lot of DH's stuff from J Crew but I rarely shop there for him anymore...the are SO stingy on deals and sales, and their stuff is more expensive but not nicer in quality. BR is a FAR better value. DH really likes the suits, button down shirts, long-sleeve basic layering tees, and polos from BR. Their men's clothes always seem modern without being trendy. I like the way the BR stuff looks on him a lot too.

lcarlson90
10-21-2013, 12:03 AM
DH shops at Nordstrom Rack, Hautelook and Rue la la. I think he likes shopping more than I do.

Globetrotter
10-21-2013, 03:11 AM
I wonder if I would win the contest of whose DH here cares the absolute least about clothing.

Nope. It HAS to be my dh! He never shops so I do his shopping, but I hate shopping for men's clothing and don't really understand it, so therefore I pretty much haven't bought him anything in a few years, other than a couple of tshirts that were gifts from the kids. I replace his jeans when they get holes in them. He is upper management but wears jeans and tshirts to work unless there's an external mtg- well, that's the work culture in silicone valley :) but I find it kind of nuts. Oh, he is also fond of those free company tshirts and polos and even wears them to parties, whereas I LOVE to dress up so we look ridiculous as a couple lol I've given up on this issue, though it caused a lot of angst in the early years. He's so difficult that portraits are a nightmare. He will not wear something I pick out for him if I tell him to wear it, so I have to tread lightly. My family is nervous about how he will dress for an upcoming wedding! I feel like I have three kids, IRT to this issue, which he sees as a control issue but, really, I only care about portraits and important formal occasions at this point.

WatchingThemGrow
10-21-2013, 05:54 AM
DH has been in a rut for years:
Columbia Outlet Lander pants (because they carry size 35)
LLB polos, ls polos, dress shirts in TALL
Brooks Brothers undershirts

He has a few shirts from Nordstrom, but he would love to go there and replenish his stash. Maybe that's what we will get him for Christmas. He loves picking out new clothes if they are tall enough in the torso.

Melaine
10-21-2013, 06:53 AM
I wouldn't dream of shopping for DH...I learned that lesson years ago. I think the best for him is Eddie Bauer because they have everything in Tall, but he mostly picks up stuff at Target or Old Navy.

MelissaTC
10-21-2013, 07:54 AM
His favorite store is Tommy Bahama. He thinks he is on island time.

He wears a mix of clothing from Macy's, Belk, Nordstrom, Brooks Brothers, etc.. He likes the usual guy brands - Dockers, Polo, Levi's, Under Armour, Nike, etc..

pastrygirl
10-21-2013, 08:37 AM
I love the idea of my husband meeting with a Nordstrom stylist. But I think he would break out in hives if I ever suggested it! I might be tied with ms.pacman. He hasn't bought anything new in YEARS. I told him last week that there are shirts I can't stand seeing anymore after 11 years!! Plus he's lifting weights now and slimming down, so his clothes are all horribly baggy on him. He needs a new wardrobe ASAP.

carolinacool
10-21-2013, 09:30 AM
I wouldn't dream of shopping for DH...I learned that lesson years ago.

Amen to that! :ROTFLMAO:

We don't quite have a Nordstrom's budget, so DH gets a lot of his dress shirts and pants from Kohl's. They have held up pretty well, I think. His casual style is definitely jeans and Nikes, usually with a Mark Ecko tee or a button-up shirt. His style leans more hip-hop.

Green22
10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Kohls and Costco. He's a jeans and T-shirt guy and has to have all cotton. I have the most luck at these stores for these requirements and I don't think he looks old mannish at all, more classic/simple. He also has one pair of jeans that he always wears which were from marshalls or something.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-21-2013, 10:31 AM
I love the idea of my husband meeting with a Nordstrom stylist. But I think he would break out in hives if I ever suggested it!
LOL my Dh would rather have a 5 root canals at once instead of doing that. I want to suggest it to him, just to see his reaction :)

arivecchi
10-21-2013, 10:42 AM
For casual wear, DH likes Polo (he likes their jeans a lot), LLBean and Under Armour/other athletic wear.

vtmom
10-21-2013, 01:34 PM
DH would probably ask if I'd been drinking if I suggested a Nordstrom stylist! :rotflmao: He wears Brooks Brothers and Lands End for work. Levis and Patagonia for casual plus whatever else his mom or my mom pick up for him (usually LLBean or EMS brand). Every once in a while I am able to slip in a JCrew top or sweater. That's it. If he thinks I am trying to "style" him he gets very nervous :shrug: He does like Frye shoes though...go figure!

nfowife
10-21-2013, 02:03 PM
Jeans are usually nordstrom (seven and AG)
T's from Kohls
sweaters from JCrew and Banana Republic, a few Brooks Brothers.
Dress shirts from a variety of places...mostly Banana, some Nordstrom as well.
He's just transitioning from the military to the business world, and has gotten 2 suits from suit supply that he's very happy with.
Because of leaving the military he's pretty much gotten a wardrobe makover in the last 6 months.... it hasn't been cheap but we have decided to go with quality over quantity. Which is pretty much the opposite of my wardrobe (hello, Kohls and Target!).

Mommy_Mea
10-21-2013, 02:05 PM
DH shops almost exclusively at American Eagle right now for tops, but the most conservative items they have. He jokes he destroys their demographic every time he walks into the store.

Pants he shops Carhartt, Dockers and Levis.

I buy him Banana Republic and Boden for Christmas :)

theriviera
10-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Dh just replaced all his work pants (was wearing brooks brothers) to Hugo boss (Bloomingdales). Dh has a slim build and the bb pants were too baggy. His shirts are mainly brooks brothers slim fit.

On the weekends he almost always wears shorts. He replaced most of his recently with nike golf shorts. They are made from a a super lightweight material. Shirts are polo usually.

AnnieW625
10-21-2013, 02:53 PM
DH is fine with me shopping for him so that is usually what I will do but we will often (every couple of months) go shopping as a family.

Jeans:
Target's Wrangler jeans or American Rag Cie (from Macy's). He works in the field a bunch so he loves the Wrangler jeans because they are under $30 and they still look nice, but if one pair gets a grease stain they aren't going to break the bank to get new ones.

Pants:
He likes Dockers D3 khaki pants so he gets them from Macy's, Kohls, or Nordstrom Rack. Banana Republic, and Gap khakis are nice, but after time they start to shrink more than the Dockers.

Shoes:
Macys, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, or Big 5 (he doesn't care what his workout shoes are)

Tee shirts/ long sleeve thermal tees:
Target, Gap, Eddie Bauer, or Old Navy

Polo Shirts:
Izod (usually from Macy's or the Izod Outlet store)
La Coste from a Nordstrom anniversary sale

short sleeve button down shirts:
Macy's, Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack

Button Down Shirts:
Brooks Brothers Outlet (my grandma usually gets them for him, love these shirts!)
Macy's (Alfani, or INC usually)

shorts:
Target, or Gap

Socks, Underwear:
Costco, Macy's, or Kohls, but most of the time it has been Costco.

workout:
Target

Sweaters:
Most of the sweaters DH owns are from J Crew and I bought them in Nor Cal. Thankfully they are pretty basic and haven't needed updating. He wears a heavy sweater maybe three times at home during the winter and then only other times he'll wear them are if we are visiting my Grandma in Lake Arrowhead, in Sacramento, or Lake Tahoe.

kerridean
10-22-2013, 05:26 PM
Military clothing supply. HAHA.

Globetrotter
10-22-2013, 06:56 PM
One of my problems is that dh will make a huge fuss to try on clothes, unless they are jeans that he asked me to replace because they were full of holes. Otherwise, he doesn't think he needs anything.

I swear it's like dealing with a toddler IRT certain issues.

alirebco
10-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Nordstrom. The guy would live there if he could. And he's not really super trendy or metro but he does drop some money on nice suits, shirts and shoes since he wears those all the time. His casual wear - jeans, sweaters, casual button downs are also from there. He also shops at Patagonia

sandwish
10-22-2013, 10:40 PM
My DH dresses like a college kid. He wears jeans and buy tshirts from eBay. Weekends are always cargo shorts and sandals. Same shirts. I am a horrible dresser as well, so I guess we match. But sometimes I wish we were a slight notch above college in our dress code.

MontrealMum
10-23-2013, 12:25 AM
My DH would be happy if his entire wardrobe came from MEC or Mark's Work Warehouse :) He's also a big fan of the Patagonia and North Face outlets. My dad and sales reps keep him in tees for weekends.

Luckily, I do his shopping, otherwise, he'd probably have lost his job by now!

His nicer things come from BR, Nordies, and TJMaxx/Winner's. He's also got a lot from LE/LLB/Eddie Bauer, with some JCrew sweaters and shirts here and there. Every now and then I try and buy him something a bit flashier from H&M or Zara, and one time, a gorgeous purple JCrew v-neck, but he's a pretty conservative dresser so those usually go unworn. I've been eyeing Next lately since I've really liked the things I've bought for DS from there, but have not bought anything for DH yet.

trales
10-23-2013, 08:29 AM
I order it all from Lands End. Some stuff he picks up at the LLBean outlet, I get him some stuff from Banana Republic. He could care less unless he has to actually purchase it - if I order it and get it, then he is happy and will wear anything.