PDA

View Full Version : NYC in Dec with kids

JenaW
10-20-2013, 08:16 PM
We are going to NYC with DH in early Dec for a long weekend (flying in Fri eve, leaving Mon eve). Hubby will be busy most of the daytime, and I'll have our almost 1yo, plus 7 and 8yo DDs (and I'll be about 24 weeks preg). We are staying in Times Square. Trying to decide some evening activities with DH, and daytime things for the girls and I. I am NOT a big city girl, but I don't plan on sitting in the hotel either. I THINK I'm ok on the subway with the kids. Is it stroller friendly, or should I plan on a carrier. I have a Mei Tai but I've never used it with a preg belly.

Any must-do's or must-see's? I'd really like to do the Statue of Liberty and the former WTC site. If the weather is nice, the girls might like at least part of the dept store displays. We'd love to try and get matinee tix to Radio City, but I'm not sure if they are avail.

Fav restaurants? I know from a visit a few yrs ago (w/o kids) that Times Square is insanely pricey. And has a lot of chains. I'd love suggestions for off-the-main-path places that are kid friendly.

Anything else I need to know?

Thanks! You guys always give me such great advice.

J

ZeeBaby
10-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I have never worn a carrier pregnant either. Maybe try it and see how well you manage with it. It would definitely be my preferred mode of transporting the infant if possible. Much easier to navigate the stairs in the train station and keeping an eye on your DDs if you have your if your have your hands free.

The city will be very crowded in December, but I think manageable. I would avoid rush hours as much as possible. Plan to leave the hotel about 10 to avoid the crowds. I prefer the NYC neighborhoods to eat then the Times Square area. I would venture to little Italy or Chinatown when you go to visit the World Trade Center. Radio City tix will be tough then. I would get on their email list since they often send last minute tix via email.

elektra
10-20-2013, 09:47 PM
We went with the kids last year in December when they were 3 and 5. So it was different from your situation, but I can still chime in. I think your older girls are great ages to go btw. We want to do it again when DD and DS are 7 and 5.
I would say carrier in addition to stroller but I have no experience doing baby wearing while pregnant too. We took a stroller and had to fold in when doing he subway stairs but we actually did not do the subway a ton. The girls could probably help though. I would take your lightest stroller. We mostly walked but my kids really lagged in walking.
I just asked them what they liked the best about the trip, and besides visiting in laws in New Jersey, they said Central Park was the best. I guess they just liked running around there. The day wewednt to the park we took the subway to the natural history museum, then walked to Shake Shack for lunch, then walked around Central Park. Good for all ages.
We also took them to see Mary Poppins on another day. Outside of shake shack, I don't have great restaurant recs because we mostly ate close to where we were staying in the east village, soho area.
We did try to go to Rockefeller center one day but it was SO crowded. We grabbed hot chocolate and pastries at dean &deluca but we could literally barely move there. We could see a bit of the tree, but it seemed that everyone else on EARTH had the exact same idea.

ilfaith
10-20-2013, 11:23 PM
I would definitely spend some time in Central Park. The zoo is great and the kids should like the carousel. There is also skating, but with a 1YO and you being pregnant, that might be out. Since you are from upstate NY, cold weather shouldn't deter you from spending time outside (as opposed to my wimpy Florida-bred boys)

If your girls are into American Girl dolls, I would suggest making a trip to their store. My kids love the ferris wheel at the Times Square ToysRUs, and the "Big' piano at FAO Schwarz.

As for museums, my kids like the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Natural History...although neither are really as kid-focused as museums in other cities. My boys loved the Police museum (which I was going to link to, but it appears to still be closed while they recover from hurricane Sandy) and transit museum (if you don't mind a trip to Brooklyn) http://www.mta.info/mta/museum/

For information on stroller-friendly subway stations
http://mta.info/accessibility/stations.htm

Here is a link to some kid-friendly restaurants...
http://mommypoppins.com/family/nyc-kid-friendly-restaurant-guide

I would definitely check out mommypoppins (see restaurant link above), as well as Time Out NY http://www.timeout.com/new-york-kids as your trip gets closer, for events in the city.

jerseygirl07067
10-20-2013, 11:24 PM
We go every other year, as we have relatives in the metro area. This year my DDs will be 9.5, 8, and 4.5 When we went 4 years ago, DD3 was 6 months old. I did have DH to help me carry her up and down the subway steps, and I actually lugged our P3 up and down the steps. Surprisingly, we did it with ease. However, if you're by yourself, def bring a super easy folding, lightweight, but durable stroller. I never owned a Mei Tei but had a Baby Bjorn and loved it. I used it pg too, just adjusted it so the baby was higher and the straps were lower, which was more comfortable anyway.

If I were by myself, I'd transfer your child to the carrier, and then quickly fold up the stroller and go down the subway steps. Keep the child in the carrier until you get to your stop and then once you're up the steps, open your stroller back up. Depending on the size of your 1 y/o it might be a bit much to keep them in a carrier all day, I personally liked using my stroller when I could.

As far as destinations...we too are going to hit the Statue of Liberty this year, and the Empire State Building. After that, since ESB is on 5th Ave, we will just walk up 5th ave. Doing that you can hit Rockefeller Center (the tree will be lit after 1st weekend of Dec I think), St. Patrick's Cathedral (I'm Jewish, but still think it's neat), and many nice storefronts. We may go to the 9-11 memorial as well which is in lower Manhattan, so def a subway ride. My girls are also into American Girl so we will head over there for lunch (make reservations) and I believe it's on 5th ave too, can't remember.

Another thing we love to do is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, weather permitting. It is crazy cold over that bridge in the winter though!!, This is really best done during nicer, warmer weather, but since it is the only time we come to NYC, we just suck it up and do it anyway. We usually go about 1/3 of the way across and the views are very nice, assuming it is a clear day.

For food, you will probably get better responses from others since we often go to the touristy places. We went to Katz's deli (was very good), Serendipity for dessert - would not recommend, ridiculously crowded and way overpriced. One place I love, though I haven't been in years, I don't even know if it's still there....Al's International Soup Kitchen on 55th st and 8th ave, the inspiration for the infamous Soup Nazi episode of Seinfeld. When I last went 8 bucks got me a huge bowl of Mullicatawny (I know I spelled that wrong), an apple, a roll, and a chocolate truffle. It was delish!!! Not kid friendly though as it is a stand, no place to eat inside. I do recall Carmines being fun to eat at, and reasonable. I think there are two locations, one is in the theater district. Super huge portions, meant for sharing, and reasonable for NYC as I recall. DH and I ate there before kids, but it would probably work for kids too.

I will be following this thread for good eateries too. :)

I love NYC, enjoy your trip and be prepared for lots of walking!!!

vtmom
10-21-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm sure you've thought about this, but anywhere in midtown around the tree and department stores is going to be VERY crowded on the weekends. I'd try out the carrier before you go and think about wearing that the whole time you are near the "Christmas"y tourist spots. You should be fine with the stroller at the park, Statue of Liberty and other sites but walking around the tree with a stroller and keeping track of other kids near Christmas not fun (and I've BTDT).

elektra
10-21-2013, 02:08 PM
walking around the tree with a stroller and keeping track of other kids near Christmas not fun (and I've BTDT).
Never again!

I literally felt like I might have a panic attack trying to navigate around the tree with two kids, one in a stroller. OP, we had a great time overall though!

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Are you trying to go to the Statue of Liberty or is a boat ride past adequate? I just know we waited too long and couldn't get tickets to actually go out there.

mom2binsd
10-22-2013, 09:44 AM
If you were to get tix for Radio City, would you take the 1 year old or would that be something you would do with just the older one's? or have your DH take the older one's? I was just thinking that taking the 1 year old to Radio City might be tricky, and if the baby got fussy you'd miss the show. I've never been so I don't know how it works, I've only ever gone to a play on Broadway.

Does you hotel have a microwave/fridge as that would be important to me with three kids, then you minimize having to eat breakfast and can have snacks etc. such as yogurt, cheese sticks etc in the fridge.

123LuckyMom
10-22-2013, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't take the 1 year old to Radio City. People pay a lot for those tickets! If you were desperate, you could do it, but only if you get seats right near an exit. Once you get out of the theater, you could hang out with the 1 year old in the huge lobby or the sitting room by the restrooms, so there are places to go.

The Nutcracker is also great for the older ones, but DEFINITELY not for the little one. You might be able to get away with a little one at Radio City, but not at the Nutcracker.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
There are also great outdoor markets, like the Bryant Park (off 5th Ave, near AG store) and Union Square (downtown - take 4-5-6 or N-R lines downtown to Union Square/14th Street station & go upstairs) holiday markets, which might be fun to look at. I'm hoping to take my own DD this year ... if I can block out a weekend that isn't too cold and convince my brother & his girlfriend to meet up with us.

Depending on what you like to eat, there are quite a lot of options. I definitely recommend the "Time Out NY" kids tips!!

My DD adores Times Square at night, but I admit it does get crowded!! I don't mind much because I usually wear DD whenever we go to NYC, which means I can get to/from places a lot more quickly than if I'd had our stroller ... and she gets to see things at my eye-level, which is great.

Per Rockefeller Center.com, the 2013 tree will be lit on December 4th.

If you're interested in the store windows, here's a walking map: http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/l/bl_xmaswindows.htm

Do note that it's awesome, but does get VERY crowded and can be cold. I would definitely wear your 1y/o on your back if you can; tie the mei tei's belt above your belly if that's comfortable. If not, you can try below, but I think your best bet will be above.

Supplemental links:

Info for Union Square Holiday Market (opens 11/21): http://gonyc.about.com/od/christmassights/l/bl_xmaswindows.htm

NYPL Exhibitions calendar, including "The ABC of It: Why Children's Books Matter": http://www.nypl.org/locations/tid/36/exhibitions

Bryant Park Winter Village (also has ice skating if Central Park & Rockefeller Center are too crowded): http://www.bryantpark.org

JenaW
10-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions, especially about using the subway and carrier. I think I will NEED a stroller, bc although she is a peanut, I can not imagine lugging her all over NY. Unfortunately, she HATES the back carry on the Mei Tai, though I am trying to utilize it more at home so hopefully she will get used to it. The few times I've tried, she arches her back to get out, and I am afraid she would throw herself out of it...not good. I'm so spoiled by my Phil and Teds, but I will probably try to borrow or find a cheaper, smaller, lighter umbrella type stroller. I'm flying down with DH, but will be coming home a day early by myself with the three girls, so I will definitely need the stroller to get all of us, plus luggage, car seats, etc through the airport.

Radio City tix will be tough then. I would get on their email list since they often send last minute tix via email.
Thanks for that suggestion. I didn't know it was a possibility. Do I just go to the website? Last time we went (a few years ago), hubby was able to get "cheapER" tix thru the conference. But after the comments about the baby, I am having second thoughts. While she is generally very easy going, and I remember it being a fairly loud show, I would be upset if I had to spend the entire time in the lobby bc she was fussing, especially with the tix so pricey...

If your girls are into American Girl dolls, I would suggest making a trip to their store. My kids love the ferris wheel at the Times Square ToysRUs, and the "Big' piano at FAO Schwarz.

We don't own any dolls (so the idea of the store is SLIGHTLY frightening...LOL...but we are doing a history unit using the books this year in homeschool, so I know these two especially would LOVE the store. Thanks for that idea! Thanks for the rest of your great links too. Bummer about the police museum. But I will def look into the others.

Another thing we love to do is walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, weather permitting. It is crazy cold over that bridge in the winter though!!, This is really best done during nicer, warmer weather, but since it is the only time we come to NYC, we just suck it up and do it anyway. We usually go about 1/3 of the way across and the views are very nice, assuming it is a clear day.

This sounds awesome, and something I would have never thought of. Do I just take the subway to the nearest station, then get off and walk? We do a fair amt of hiking with our kids, so they should be fine in that regard, as long as it is not bitter cold. When I went a few years ago, it was during a warm streak, and it hit 50's most days. That would be nice if we got lucky again...

I'm sure you've thought about this, but anywhere in midtown around the tree and department stores is going to be VERY crowded on the weekends. I'd try out the carrier before you go and think about wearing that the whole time you are near the "Christmas"y tourist spots. You should be fine with the stroller at the park, Statue of Liberty and other sites but walking around the tree with a stroller and keeping track of other kids near Christmas not fun (and I've BTDT).
Thanks for that reminder. I do remember, not that you've mentioned it, that when DH and I were there alone, I commented that I could not imagine being there with the kids. We went by the tree after we did the Dept store walk one evening. Is it any better during the day? I'd be alone with the girls then, but if it's less crowded, it would be worth it. If not, we may avoid it all together. My kids do not watch much TV so they have no clue what Rockefeller Center is. It would be nice to see the tree, but not with the stress of those packed crowds.

Are you trying to go to the Statue of Liberty or is a boat ride past adequate? I just know we waited too long and couldn't get tickets to actually go out there.
I'd REALLY like to climb the SOL. So once DH gets his final schedule for the conference (he's both lecturing and attending), I will try to get advance tix. Every single other time I have been in NY, it has been closed. So this is something I'd really like to cross off my list. Though, in all honesty, walking up with the 12mos old may be impossible. I know she can't go up into the crown...I am not sure if I (or DH) would be allowed to bring her in the carrier?? Does anyone know? We climbed a bunch of lighthouses this summer, and were not allowed to bring her into any of them, so we took turns going up.

Does you hotel have a microwave/fridge as that would be important to me with three kids, then you minimize having to eat breakfast and can have snacks etc. such as yogurt, cheese sticks etc in the fridge.
Yes, thank goodness. This is the only way we can survive when traveling, especially when we have all 7 kids!

My DD adores Times Square at night, but I admit it does get crowded!! I don't mind much because I usually wear DD whenever we go to NYC, which means I can get to/from places a lot more quickly than if I'd had our stroller ... and she gets to see things at my eye-level, which is great.

Do note that it's awesome, but does get VERY crowded and can be cold. I would definitely wear your 1y/o on your back if you can; tie the mei tei's belt above your belly if that's comfortable. If not, you can try below, but I think your best bet will be above.

I'm working on this. She is NOT a fan of the back carry right now, but she also doesn't like the inward facing front carry, unless she is tired. Sigh. We are working on it though. I hope I can make it work. I do have a Kelty backpack, which although very bulky and cumbersome, its comfy and she'll tolerate it for a while. I'm not sure how I feel about using it in a crowded city though.....

jerseygirl07067
10-25-2013, 11:33 PM
If I remember correctly, we took a cab there, and I think we took the subway back uptown. You would just have to check the schedules and double check the map, I can't remember since it was 2 years ago, though we will be doing it again weather permitting in late November. I can let you know, since you are going after we are. :)

twowhat?
10-27-2013, 03:06 PM
I have no idea but I just wanted to recommend getting a carrier for back carries (Ergo, Beco, or whatever...I would not have felt secure with a mai tai for back carries. But with the beco (which is what I used) there was no way a baby was going to throw herself out - the back on the Beco is higher and you have those extra straps). That would work with a preggo belly just fine and IMO back carry is SO much easier on the back and I can imagine it would be a lot easier navigating subway stairs, etc if you have the baby on your back. Once mine were about a year old, I was doing the back carry only - front carry was so much more precarious because you can't see your feet and it's also cumbersome to work around the baby in front of you.
And with your DDs ages, they could help you get the baby onto your back.

Have fun!