PDA

View Full Version : Lego Death Star...ever any deals?

light-castle
10-22-2013, 10:57 AM
My son has desperately wanted the Lego Death Star for a long time. It's $399 on lego.com. Are there ever any discounts on this set? Just can't stomach that price tag.

Thanks,
Jennifer

patent_girl
10-22-2013, 11:51 AM
I've never seen a deal (and never tried to buy it). BUT - if you buy it his month "Bricktober" - you will at least get DOUBLE lego VIP points on it. For every 100 points I think you get $5 in reward $ to spend. So, if you got 798 Brictober points, you're only 2 bucks away from getting back about $40 in reward dollars. You have to spend them on Legos, but better than nothing. This applies in store or online, and you get free shipping for orders over $100.

rin
10-22-2013, 12:13 PM
You could try this (http://theplasticbrick.com/)site, they sell complete used sets of Legos.

kristac
10-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Pleygo will let you "rent" it on their "mega fan" plan. http://www.pleygo.com/

sarrahanne
10-22-2013, 01:05 PM
If you get their catolags and magazines, occasionally there are coupons in them. There was a 10%off that expired already this month. Last year, there was even a 20% off. I've been hoping for that one to come out again this year before Christmas - DS1 wants the Death Star too, but no way to that. Maybe Ewok Village instead. (To get the catalogs, sign up for the Lego VIP program and subscribe to their free magazine)

belovedgandp
10-22-2013, 04:09 PM
If you can brave the store on Black Friday they do scratch off tickets for a percentage of total order. I think the minimum is 10% - maybe only 5. A gamble but there are some good ones to be had.

kboyle
10-22-2013, 04:12 PM
to be honest, i'd just go in on it with another family member... that way he can get it and you're not spending all $399 yourself. my parents got the boys the ewok village as a joint gift for all three of them along with special edition Skylander Swap ($99) and a couple other little things. So they're only getting 2 gifts from my parents, but they know they're huge gifts. when ds2 wanted the millenium falcon his godparents went in on it together so he'd have one big gift vs 2 smaller ones.

light-castle
10-23-2013, 09:40 AM
I have not seen the coupons on our catalogs. I am a VIP member.

So are the large sets worth it?

Choccie
10-25-2013, 01:29 PM
Sometimes TRU has the buy 1 get 1 50% off (so basically $300 per set if you buy 2) -- I've thought about seeing if anyone else wanted to go in on a purchase but you probably need to coordinate this ahead of time because the sets sell out quickly! If it's a MUST HAVE gift from Santa then it's not worth risking - just do the bricktober :-) Another thing to consider -- my son desperately wanted this for about 2 years - he's now 8, he never mentions it - moved on to other things.

jennilynn
12-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Target.com is offering a $50 gift card with the Death Star. It's still $399 but with the gift card and 5% off with a Red Card, might be a good deal.