PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about hexbugs

acmom
10-23-2013, 07:52 AM
I read the stocking thread that mentioned hex bugs and don't know much about them. I have never seen them played with so am wondering what ages they are best for and what you need to go with them? I have a 5 and 3 year old- would these be an good present idea? I looked on their website and saw there are all sorts of different kinds and track sets too. Is there a good kind to start with and do I need a track or can you make something yourself out of magnatiles, blocks, etc.?

Thanks!!

123LuckyMom
10-23-2013, 08:33 AM
I got hex bug nanos last year for Christmas. My DS had just turned 4. They were a HUGE hit!!! The nanos are small, less than an inch long, and they vibrate. They have little legs, so when they vibrate, they move and really look just like bugs. Having the tracks and platforms is great, because the little bugs have to "negotiate" the route with one another, and the interaction is fun to watch. I got a set that had tracks and platforms and came with a couple of nanos. We have four, and that's fine for now. DS hasn't asked for more track or more nanos. He loves the set he has. Though you certainly can use them with blocks, magnatiles, boxes, etc., and we do, I would get a track set if you can. They are really made to showcase the buggy like behavior.

hellokitty
10-23-2013, 08:36 AM
They eat through batteries like crazy. So buy a bunch of batteries. Someone had mentioned last yr getting then on amazon for the best price, a bulk amt. As long as your three yr old is past the toy in mouth phase, you are good to go. My kids love them, but I hate the short battery life.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday
10-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Love the Hexbug Nano and definitely recommend a track because they move FAST and have a habit of lodging under the couch.

123LuckyMom
10-23-2013, 11:04 AM
It's true about the batteries! Also, to change them you'll need a tiny screwdriver, like from a glasses kit.

cagey
10-23-2013, 11:11 AM
DEF. go with the Nanos--we weren't impresed with the larger hexbugs. The tracks are nice but not necessary--we make hexbug houses with Magnatiles, plank blocks, or just throw them on the lid of a plastic bin sometimes. The tracks are difficult to line up, and my 7 yr old lego expert is just able to line up the plastic tabs correctly without breaking them.

I did a huge stash of batteries from amazon (like 100) for something like $7 a year or so ago. Even if I use only 20 its a vast savings over the brick-and-morter cost.

acmom
10-23-2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks! I will add them to the possible Christmas ideas. What kind of batteries do the nanos take?

cagey
10-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Batteries: http://www.amazon.com/HexBug-Compatible-100-HEXBUG-Compatible-Batteries/dp/B004OSRHV4

Best $9 you'll spend :)

baileygirl
10-24-2013, 12:12 PM
You might look at the new hexbugs (I think they are called V2) anyway it says that they can climb up walls. I have not bought any or tried them. They also have swimming ones (i.e. sharks) that you can buy for the bathtub or buy in a little fish bowl. Costco has a V2 set.

hellokitty
10-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh and yeah, I wanted to agree with the pp that the big hexbugs are a total disappointment. Two of ours broke (out of 3), they are fragile and just not that impressive. The kids grew tired of them quickly and I was not happy that for the price, they were not that great and broke easily.