PDA

View Full Version : Books for 6-7yo girls

mikeys_mom
10-25-2013, 10:57 AM
I'm looking for a new series to read aloud to my almost 7 year old daughter. We just finished the entire Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. She really enjoyed it and extra bonus - DH thought they were great as well. Most of the time he is the one reading bedtime stories to DD1. She is not into princess stuff. She loved that Ramona was very real to her and had realistic problems and resolutions.

DH has requested that I please find something fast so he doesn't have to go back to mind-numbing picture books and Robert Munsch stuff that he has read a million times :).

What would you suggest for another series to try?

lizzywednesday
10-25-2013, 11:18 AM
Little House in the Big Woods - this is the first of Laura Ingalls Wilder's semi-autobiographical books about her family's life. They're fairly mild as far as tragedy until the 5th or 6th one, if I recall correctly.

You might also have good results with the Oz books by L. Frank Baum - the first is The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Mildly scary, illustrations are usually line drawings. Depending on the edition, you can either get the originals by John Tenniell (who also illustrated Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass) or any number of cartoonists' takes.

I was 6 when my dad started to read the Chronicles of Narnia to me. We started with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, though that's not the "chronological" first book - modern 7-book sets start with The Magician's Nephew instead, but I read that one as book 6. (I would also recommend you skip The Last Battle until she's older.)

Hope this helps!

KrisM
10-25-2013, 11:19 AM
DD is 7 and enjoys Boxcar Children a lot.

vonfirmath
10-25-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm looking for a new series to read aloud to my almost 7 year old daughter. We just finished the entire Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. She really enjoyed it and extra bonus - DH thought they were great as well. Most of the time he is the one reading bedtime stories to DD1. She is not into princess stuff. She loved that Ramona was very real to her and had realistic problems and resolutions.

DH has requested that I please find something fast so he doesn't have to go back to mind-numbing picture books and Robert Munsch stuff that he has read a million times :).

What would you suggest for another series to try?

Clementine! is a LOT like Ramona. (I almost got my son to read her!)
All of a Kind Family
Betsy Tacy and Tibb?
How about the Rainbow Fairy books?

egoldber
10-25-2013, 01:48 PM
All of the books by EB White (Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web) and Roald Dahl.

Piglet
10-25-2013, 01:51 PM
I loved Ramona as a kid and still love reading it to my kids! Other favourites are the Fudge series by Judy Blume (Tales of a 4th Grade Nothing, Otherwise Known and Sheila the Great, Superfudge, etc.) - also an old fave of mine. DS1 really like All of a Kind Family (even though it is about a large family of girls) when he was that age. It was also around this age we started in on Harry Potter. DH is reading Roald Dahl books to DD right now.

wendibird22
10-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Judy Moody series? I love that Judy is a tomboy.

mikeys_mom
10-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!
I forgot to mention that we have already read All of a Kind Family with her and she LOVED that series. She was very sad for it to end. After that we started the Little House series but after the first book she said she wasn't interested in it much. She basically said she couldn't relate much to Laura Ingalls and wasn't loving the book.
Charlotte's Web was another big hit with her. Stuart Little, she was meh on.

I think I'll try either Clementine, Boxcar Children or Judy Moody for now. Off to see what they have at the library.
We have the Fudge series from DS. Almost forgot about that. I'll have to try and dig it out of the depths of his bookcase.

MommyAllison
10-25-2013, 03:52 PM
One I didn't see suggested yet that DD1 loves is the Mrs Piggle Wiggle books. You could also check Jim Trelease's website http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/rah-treasury-nfull1.html

Tenasparkl
10-25-2013, 03:55 PM
What about Junie B Jones?

baymom
10-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Roald Dahl books, Pippi Longstocking, Phantom Tollbooth, AG historical girl series

AngelaS
10-26-2013, 06:54 AM
Mr Popper's Penguins
the Enormous Egg
The best Christmas Pageant Ever
Homer Price

Neatfreak
10-26-2013, 09:17 AM
The Ivy & Bean series!

georgiegirl
10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Dd (7) loves Judy moody and clementine.

elephantmeg
10-26-2013, 08:36 PM
we just finished charlie and the chocolate factory and are starting charlie and the glass elevator by Roald Dahl. I got a box set of Dahl at costco a few months back and look forward to reading them!

inmypjs
10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
I highly recommend the Freddy the pig series by Walter Brooks. Seriously, they are so well-written, funny and interesting. They were written in the 40s mostly but are being reprinted. The first title is "Freddy Goes to Florida". They are the kind of books the whole family enjoys.

http://www.amazon.com/Freddy-Goes-Florida-Walter-Brooks/dp/0141312335/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1382933663&sr=8-2&keywords=freddy+goes+to+florida

Momit
10-28-2013, 08:13 AM
How about the Magic Tree House books?