PDA

View Full Version : How long do your bras last?

gymnbomb
10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
I saw this mentioned on the other bra thread, but didn't want to take it over and change the topic! I was surprised that people were pleased with bras that lasted about a year. Now I'm wondering if mine last a lot longer than that because I love buying bras and end up with a lot of them so they may get less wear (although my favorites still get washed every 1-2 weeks), or if I'm wearing old worn out bras and haven't noticed because I don't know any better... How long do your bras last? Are you happy with that lifespan?

carolinacool
10-25-2013, 01:55 PM
I wrote a year in the other thread. I think I just have heavy boobs. I can totally see why things just stretch out over time. I also machine wash my bras (instead of handwash) on gentle and hang to dry, so I'm sure that takes a toll, too, but it's just easier on me. I have about eight bras in rotation at any time, and I probably wash them every two weeks.

I've just had a very hard bra history in my lifetime. :ROTFLMAO: I could never find an underwire that fit and didn't hurt, so I wore soft cups up until my early 30s and I know I probably looked like a candidate for a makeover show. LOL So I was thrilled when I discovered Cacique and found underwire bras that actually fit, didn't hurt, and were pretty to boot. They aren't ridiculous pricey. LB is always running a buy one ($35-$40), and get one half off deal. Combine it with coupon, and it's not bad at all.

gymnbomb
10-26-2013, 09:01 AM
I am with you on the machine washing! I'm happy to hang dry, but I don't hand wash anything. If I have a big pile of delicate clothing I'll use the "hand wash" cycle on the washing machine, but that's as close as I get :) I've decided it's entirely possible that my bras last forever because they're not really doing much. I just grew into a 34B (well, sort of, they're still a bit big...) a few weeks ago at ~4 months pregnant, so I guess that except for my sports bras they are more for coverage than support.

Glad to hear you found some that work well for you. My Mother -- from whom I inherited everything except her 36DD's -- definitely has trouble finding bras that work well, and every time she finds one she likes they stop making it.

Neatfreak
10-26-2013, 09:10 AM
I bought four new bras this summer, and I handwash (though really, it's more that I soak them, rinse, and then hang up to dry). 3-4 months later, I'm wearing two of them on the middle set of hooks, so they are stretching out, and if this wear pattern continues, they might loose their support (ie: I can stretch the back more than 1-inch out when wearing it) and need replacing around twelve months.

There is an active bra-fitting/finding community that I'm part of (http://www.reddit.com/r/abrathatfits), and a year sounds about right.

MelissaTC
10-26-2013, 09:46 AM
Another year person here. I have a bunch that I cycle through. The padded, t-shirt type bras get the most wear and don't last me quite as long. The lacy, pretty French bras last a little longer as they don't get quite the same amount of wear. Sports bras last me longer as I have a few and only wear them to the gym.

crl
10-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Well, I'm a 32A and am not even going to admit how old some of my bras are. But even with regular wear and machine washing they legitimately last me way longer than a year. But they also have nothing to really support. ;)

Catherine

twowhat?
10-26-2013, 11:06 AM
More than a year for sure, but I follow the breakoutbras advice to buy the band size based on the last set of hooks (in other words when you buy a bra you want the band to fit properly at the last set of hooks) because it will stretch out over time. I've found that advice to be really helpful in terms of bra longevity because as they've stretched, I just move to the next set of hooks. The bra I'm wearing now I've had for more than a year and I am still on the last set of hooks! I'm a 28DD, so they're definitely doing some supporting.

I machine wash in a lingerie bag (front loader) and hang dry. Who has time to hand wash? :)

Neatfreak
10-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Two my bras that I've had to move onto the middle hooks are both designed by Panache. I didn't think that they were known for having stretchy bands (and to be fair, they are not nearly as stretchy as the VS bras that I wore when I had no clue that I was in a too-large band and too small cups), but I might try out a different brand next time in the hopes of more longevity!

ett
10-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Well, I'm a 32A and am not even going to admit how old some of my bras are. But even with regular wear and machine washing they legitimately last me way longer than a year. But they also have nothing to really support. ;)

Catherine

:yeahthat: My current bras are at least 3-4 years old.

ZeeBaby
10-26-2013, 05:02 PM
I am a 36 DD and mine last longer then a year. I guess I should take a look at them to make sure they are all holding everything up properly.

okinawama
10-26-2013, 11:54 PM

Catherine
That's me! I have bras that are more than 8 years old, and are holding up ok. My bras aren't supporting anything, and there's probably more wear and tear on them stuffed in my drawer than on my body, so I think that helps me keep them in decent shape longer.

Jenn27
12-18-2013, 01:13 PM
At least half of my bras are pre-pregnancy bras and she just turned 5! I need new ones. I'm also a SAHM and don't wear a bra most days at home :)

mikala
12-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I usually rotate three or four and they last around a year. I machine wash every wear or two in a lingerie bag and hang to dry so they'd probably last longer if I handwashed less often. They do some important lifting so I'm just happy they work well for 100 washes.

trales
12-19-2013, 11:44 AM
I rotate around 3-4 and they last about 18months each. I do hang dry. I am a 34D.

Nooknookmom
12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
A couple years for my daily drivers. I keep a couple "nice" ones to wear if I ever go out bc I want the straps to be nice and clean. I cannot for some reason keep the straps perfectly clean on my reg bras. I buy VS cotton ones...and I have NO boobs, thank you DD2!!