PDA

View Full Version : Halloween Scavenger Hunt

dogmom
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
DD in 2nd grade brought this home today. Luckily teacher is not in tomorrow (sub) so we have 2 whole days to do it.

1) An orange household item between 3 and 7 inches.

SERIOUSLY? I love orange, but it's not like my household is chock full of orange items in that size range.

2) A black household item that weighs less than 1 lb.

OK, + for black, but it's not like a own a scale that weighs things that small. So I hope you aren't expecting the weighing portion to be the "educational" value.

3) An October calendar that is not from this current year.

Yeah, let me open up my old calendar drawer.

4) An advertisement for something that is orange.

Man, I hope my Vanity Fair has something orange in this months issue, because all old magazines get recycled.

5) 31 beans, bottle caps, buttons or other small items.

No, I'm not opening up a bag a beans for this. Like I let 31 bottle caps pile up. Someone sews so much they have 31 buttons? OK, I do think I have 31 buttons, but they are in the basement with my old historical recreation stuff, and I'm not digging them out for this.

6) A word cut from a newspaper headline, with the same number letters as Halloween.

2013! I don't HAVE a newspaper!

This all falls into the category of, "I have graduated-insert grade here-, why are you making me do all this work for minimal benefit for my kid?" This ranks up with rainbow week in Kindergarten when they wanted to color coordinate clothes and snacks. How does that do anything but make the mother run around to buy colored clothes and snacks? Is the 5 yo doing that? Can't you just have them draw and color something to teach them colors? I HATE these things. Note to teachers, most of us DO NOT enjoy this kind of stuff.

SnuggleBuggles
10-29-2013, 06:23 PM
Painful.

But, for black, a sock would work. :)

3blackcats
10-29-2013, 07:15 PM
I like the 2013 no newspaper reaction the best :)
OP I dread when dd starts to bring these home.

As for a calendar, just go print last years from the internet. And if you want to get technical you can download don't packs to make your newspaper word.

egoldber
10-29-2013, 07:25 PM
OMG I think you win the Worst Last Minute School Assignment award. :ROTFLMAO:

BunnyBee
10-29-2013, 08:03 PM
That's bullcockle. Your replies are hilarious.

1) Orange highlighter or marker?
2) Rotten banana? One black bean?
3) Print from timeandcalendar online
4) Do you have catalogs? Technically the whole thing is an advertisement. ;)
5) Tear a piece of paper into 31 pieces
6) I haven't gotten the newspaper since 2003.

Does homework count for a grade? I'd be very tempted to just write NO across it. What a crap assignment.

Indianamom2
10-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Ugh....I loathe these assignments too. It would be one thing for an older kid (middle school maybe) who is completely able to accomplish this on their own....but even with a 9 year old 3rd grader, this would be frustrating.

For the orange item...got any orange handled scissors? Oh wait, that might not be allowed....let me think some more.

mikala
10-29-2013, 09:28 PM
DD in 2nd grade brought this home today. Luckily teacher is not in tomorrow (sub) so we have 2 whole days to do it.

1) An orange household item between 3 and 7 inches.

SERIOUSLY? I love orange, but it's not like my household is chock full of orange items in that size range.

I think my mind must be in the gutter tonight but I immediately thought of an often colorful household item a often a bit bigger than that size range that would ensure the teacher never does this type of scavenger hunt again :innocent:

sarahsthreads
10-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Nice! My favorite kind of assignment. (Not.)

1. Yarn? Or a pencil (some of ours are kind of orange-ish) or maybe a toothbrush?
2. Black lego? (Legos are household items, aren't they?)
3. Internet.
4. We just got the Toys R Us wish book in the mail today, did you? Lots of orange toys!
5. Pennies?
6. Internet. (Though my DD1 would protest mightily if it wasn't really from a newspaper.)

Sarah :)

Indianamom2
10-29-2013, 09:39 PM
OH....for an orange item...how about a carrot? You can cut it to any size!

lizzywednesday
10-29-2013, 09:48 PM
I think my mind must be in the gutter tonight but I immediately thought of an often colorful household item a often a bit bigger than that size range that would ensure the teacher never does this type of scavenger hunt again :innocent:

I like the way you think!

AngB
10-29-2013, 11:06 PM

Love this! LOL

KpbS
10-30-2013, 12:38 AM
Old calendar drawer :rotflmao:

Thanks for the laugh! I needed it tonight.

Tondi G
10-30-2013, 01:23 AM
For orange ... how about an orange pen or pencil? Even a large orange (fruit) would probably work or a carrot

for black ... do you happen to have black trashbags? Legos are a good suggestion too

for the 31 items ... how about pennies?

for the newspaper headline ... maybe you could find a word with 9 letters in a mailer for a supermarket?

niccig
10-30-2013, 03:25 AM
For black - some of my kitchen utensils like soup ladle etc are black silicon. Do you have something like that.
Orange - agree with using a real orange.
31 items - pennies or matches
newspaper headline - print out something from the online New York Times etc and use that.

What a silly exercise.

vejemom
10-30-2013, 06:49 AM
We really need to find a way to submit this and the crazy CL guy from Pennylane's thread to The Onion. "Veteran Teacher Lizzie Borden run off by pitchfork-wielding parents angered over impossible Halloween scavenger hunt..."

Yeah, Beth is right. You win the award for worst assignment. I thought the math sheet my daughter had where I had to find 15 nickels was bad. But this is way worse!

hellokitty
10-30-2013, 07:02 AM
What a weird assignment with such random requirements. I would seriously wonder what's up with this teacher.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

tmahanes
10-30-2013, 07:02 AM

I love this idea! :-D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

dogmom
10-30-2013, 08:32 AM

Haha! My DH and I had that exact same realization last night. He said it would guarantee every teacher in the school knew who we were and that we would have an interesting parent teacher conference next week!

Sweetsunshine
10-30-2013, 11:18 AM
That is the craziest homework assignment I've ever heard of! Complete waste of time. Hope it works out for you OP!