PDA

View Full Version : Chiropractor when pregnant?

flashy09
10-29-2013, 08:27 PM
I have never been to a chiropractor. I was at the county fair and stopped by a chiropractic booth and an assessment - obviously they are trying to drum up business, but some things are fairly obvious to me as well. My left shoulder is about 3 inches higher due to scoliosis, my head/neck are too far forward, and my hips are nowhere near aligned with each other. So I got talked into making an appointment, which is tomorrow.

I am super nervous! I won't do the xrays, but they have a digital orthotic foot scan - is that safe?

How safe is it to get adjusted when pregnant (won't happen tomorrow, but will have to decide whether to have follow up appt)? I am scared the placenta is going to get torn or something horrible! I know that doesn't happen, but I have a big imagination. Can they actually do anything about the hips/shoulders since it's due to scoliosis? Are neck adjustments safe? I remember reading about people having strokes afterward! Anyway, as you can see I am a worrier and need some reassurance about this!

Smillow
10-29-2013, 09:02 PM
I had a house call chiropractor come to my sister's house when I was PG with DS & traveling at holiday time. It turned out that my right hip was out of alignment (and had apparently been so for quite some time) and I couldn't walk or move actually without pain. He just did an adjustment - I was 8 months pg at the time. One treatment & I was fine a couple of days later. I was very happy with the result.

AngelaS
10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
I saw one often during pregnancy. Dang sciatica!

flashy09
10-29-2013, 10:38 PM
What about the foot scan? Is that ok in pregnancy or is it similar to an xray that I should avoid if elective?

I do have a lot of aches this time around and am trying to be excited and not nervous about any adjustments!

mikala
10-29-2013, 11:14 PM
I went to a chiropractor a few times in my last pregnancy for pelvic and lower back pain. The chiropractor specialized in prenatal and postpartum women and came highly recommended by both my OB and a close friend. The visits were very gentle with just light pressure and movement of my joints. Lifting my tantruming two year old was a whole lot more likely to injure the baby than something that amounted to light massage from a set of magical hands. It was so gentle that I was amazed that it helped.

That said I'd definitely find a chiropractic rec on my own through friends, doulas or ideally my OB. I'd seek out someone who specializes in pregnancy and would be wary of someone actively trying to sell me something at an event. You want the experienced chiropractor that gets lots of clients through referrals from satisfied existing customers.

Eta: I would not do a foot scan. I don't know anything about them but would think an experienced person could note foot related issues through a physical exam, maybe watching your gait.

Tondi G
10-30-2013, 12:58 AM
I went to my chiropractor and acupuncturist while pregnant. Chiro solved my sciatica issues when preggo with DS1. Yes a chiropractor can get your hips aligned. Mine also helps me with my jaw, my wrists and my elbows and DH's bad knees.

waitingforgrace
10-30-2013, 05:32 AM
I went to a chiropractor a few times in my last pregnancy for pelvic and lower back pain. The chiropractor specialized in prenatal and postpartum women and came highly recommended by both my OB and a close friend. The visits were very gentle with just light pressure and movement of my joints. Lifting my tantruming two year old was a whole lot more likely to injure the baby than something that amounted to light massage from a set of magical hands. It was so gentle that I was amazed that it helped.

That said I'd definitely find a chiropractic rec on my own through friends, doulas or ideally my OB. I'd seek out someone who specializes in pregnancy and would be wary of someone actively trying to sell me something at an event. You want the experienced chiropractor that gets lots of clients through referrals from satisfied existing customers.

Eta: I would not do a foot scan. I don't know anything about them but would think an experienced person could note foot related issues through a physical exam, maybe watching your gait.

Yes, to pretty much all of this. My chiropractor was a godsend during my pregnancy with DD2. The sciatica was so bad I could hardly walk by 18 weeks. I had never been to a chiro before but this one came highly recommended from my doula. She did not do any big adjustments, it was very gentle. The difference for me was amazing. i started seeing her 3x per week and then dropped down to 1x per week until DD2 was born. I have since been back for a few tune-ups but definitely recommend her to others who are suffering. I have no idea what a foot scan is but it sounds a little gimicky to me.