PDA

View Full Version : Question about coming home outfit

TwoBees
10-30-2013, 09:48 AM
I'm curious as to why the coming home outfit is such a big deal. I just don't really get it. (I'm not anti-coming-home-outfit, I just don't understand). My opinion may be clouded by personal experience though...by the time DD was discharged, we just wanted to get her the heck home and didn't really care what she was wearing. The "going home" was more important than the "outfit."

Would you be willing to explain your reasons/feelings on this to me?

basil
10-30-2013, 09:53 AM
For me, it was less about coming home and more about it being the first outfit we ever put on him, since he wore hospital clothes in the hospital. Therefore, it was memorable. I didn't go too crazy on it, but I didn't want it to be a hand-me-down onesie either.

I can see why your experience with a NICU stay may have felt differently, though.

edurnemk
10-30-2013, 09:54 AM
I wonder the same thing, and my kids were never in the NICU, they came come with me at 2 days old. They both just wore a sleeper that fit them (DD was a peanut). But I usually put sleepers on them daily for the first 3 months anyway, I just think they're more comfy like that.

ETA. DS picked DD's coming home sleeper, I just picked the two smallest ones we had and let him choose fro those. DS wore a sleeper my parents bought for us after we announced the pregnancy, it was also the smallest one we had.

TwoBees
10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
For me, it was less about coming home and more about it being the first outfit we ever put on him, since he wore hospital clothes in the hospital. Therefore, it was memorable. I didn't go too crazy on it, but I didn't want it to be a hand-me-down onesie either.

Oh, that makes sense! We had dressed DD previously, once the nurses cleared us to start putting regular clothes on her. And that first outfit was pretty special. I guess I didn't think about the fact that babies don't wear clothes while in the hospital, or wear hospital clothes. :duh:

schrocat
10-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I don't know. It always baffled me but it seemed important to all the other moms on my birth boards. My second son was brought home in a yellowing outfit that belonged to his older brother and that was the only outfit we had that would fit him (we only had onesies at home because DS1 was a summer baby in a hot climate). After that experience I bought more cute clothes for him but I try not to spend too much for the smaller sizes because they outgrow them so quickly.

We're having our very first girl after 3 boys and again, we don't want to spend too much on newborn clothes and I don't like the idea of my kids wearing clothes from thrift stores so we've bought her an entirely new wardrobe. Her coming home outfit cost less than $10 and is fairly cute.

BabyBearsMom
10-30-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm with you, I have no idea. I usually just buy something easy to put on.

Philly Mom
10-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Baffles me too. DD2 will be coming home in a hand me down but a different outfit than DD1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

SnuggleBuggles
10-30-2013, 11:16 AM
I bought an adorable hat from Etsy that said, "Brand New" on it for ds2 and I bought a new outfit for both kiddos. I like looking at pics of them in their outfits that I invested some time into picking out.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-30-2013, 11:20 AM
well my 2nd was in the NICU for almost a month and i had fun picking out her "coming home outfit". i splurged and got a Zutano itzy bitzy top, hat, and pants with the owl print. i don't know, it was a nice distraction from the suspense near the end of whether she was coming home, etc. it is one of the few outfits i kept, the rest i sold/gave away. i took a ton of photos. i love the picture of her on the last day, taking her carseat test, she had a smile on her face. like seeing it every now and then and reminding how little DD was, and how far she's come since then. (bc she's huge now).

i also did a coming home outfit for my first as well, and kept it. and yes, it was the first clothes he had ever worn since he just wore hospital onesie before.

at the time dd was in the NICU, DH seemed bothered that i wanted to take pictures at all, and that i wanted to dress her up in nice clothes even though she was hooked up to tubes, monitors, etc. years later he told me was glad i did it, that we have pictures to reflect on, and that we can show dd later. i guess for him at the time it was too painful for him to deal with it, and kept saying he didn't want to remember dd like that . i think people deal with stress in different ways i guess.

chottumommy
10-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Never understood it either. We had a naming ceremony at about 21 days and that is when I dressed up the kids. I never had a coming home outfit for either me or the kids.

georgiegirl
10-30-2013, 11:27 AM
I just put my kids in random sleepers that fit. However with ds2, he wore the same sleeper as DS1.

Piglet
10-30-2013, 11:34 AM
DS1 came home in a Gap sleeper that fit right, nothing too exciting, but it had frogs on it. For DS2 I wanted something uniquely his, not a hand me down, and by fluke ended up with a Gymboree sleeper... with frogs on it! So obviously by DD, I was looking for frog sleepers to continue the tradition. I have always used the outfit again afterwards, but it then was put in the baby box after it was grown out (along with hospital bracelet, hat, etc.) so I could remember how small they were when they were born. The outfit itself was nothing special, other than as PP said, it was their first actual outfit.

lizzywednesday
10-30-2013, 12:12 PM

at the time dd was in the NICU, DH seemed bothered that i wanted to take pictures at all, and that i wanted to dress her up in nice clothes even though she was hooked up to tubes, monitors, etc. years later he told me was glad i did it, that we have pictures to reflect on, and that we can show dd later. i guess for him at the time it was too painful for him to deal with it, and kept saying he didn't want to remember dd like that . i think people deal with stress in different ways i guess.

My DH felt this way, too, and it upset me because I feel sometimes like we "lost" 2 weeks' worth of photos.

One of my favorite photos of DD was from in the hospital - she was 4 days old, I'd been discharged, and DH & I were headed home. DH bent down & kissed DD's cheek and I snapped a photo. I had it printed as an 8 x 10 for DH's first Father's Day.

She wore hospital gowns & kimono tees until they moved her to the step-down unit, so I'd wanted something cute & new, but she ended up going home in hand-me-downs from my nephew. I don't regret it, but wish we'd taken a couple more photos before we left!

shweethart
10-30-2013, 11:36 PM
I didn't buy anything special. We didn't buy too many NB size do just had a random Carter's NB sleeper and hat to go home. They spit up/pee/poo anyway it might not even make it to the car. dS came home in back up random NB clothes we had packed.

bisous
10-31-2013, 12:08 AM
I like the whole "coming home outfit" thing. But that's just me. I also like my kids to match, sometimes to match me on random days. I like coordinating outfits and this feels like an "event". I like my stuff in my luggage to be all matchy and coordinated. Heck, this time around I even bought MYSELF a cardigan sweater that coordinates with my baby's coming home outfit. It is purely fun for me but it is just one way that makes the whole process more fun. I have c-sections and I feel terrible after giving birth. I try to make as many things seem nice about the situation as possible. I buy beautiful pajamas, bring luxurious toiletries and do my hair and makeup everyday. Why? Because it makes me feel better! Its just fun, definitely not necessary but I do it because I like it. :)

AngB
10-31-2013, 12:12 AM
Our dd didn't come home, ever. Leaving the hospital with a healthy baby, with both boys, was incredibly emotional for us. The outfit wasn't as important as the moment, obviously, but DS1 wore the "little brother" Carter's Layette set, DS2 wore a gift outfit from a fellow baby loss mom who had bought it for her "surprise" rainbow baby in case she had been a boy, she was a girl, so she gave me the outfit she had very painstakingly selected and it was perfect.

I can totally understand just wanting to get the heck out of the hospital (we did too), and not really caring what they wore, but for me, I cared. I will never ever forget leaving the hospital with our boys, and leaving without DD.

queenmama
10-31-2013, 01:45 AM
Both of our babes came home in shower gift clothes. They weren't extra special, just cute, but then most baby clothes are!

The only thing remarkable about DS' outfit was that the 0-3 and 3-6 month outfits I'd packed were huge on him. He was 9 lbs, 4 oz, 22", and he came home in a preemie outfit and beanie!!!!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

JBaxter
10-31-2013, 10:23 AM
I bought cute one piece outfits for each of my boys. I had to cram Jack into his because he was 10+lbs. I kept each one for them My mother kept the little dress she brought home in. I would have used it if I had a girl. Coming home was a special event for us and I wanted a special outfit

BunnyBee
10-31-2013, 01:09 PM
I think it may be something to have "control" over with all the unknown of having a baby, especially the first. We had cute, comfy outfits, but hey, if you want to bring your kid home dressed all in lace or buck naked, I don't care. However you want to celebrate! :)

petesgirl
10-31-2013, 01:35 PM
Our dd didn't come home, ever. Leaving the hospital with a healthy baby, with both boys, was incredibly emotional for us. The outfit wasn't as important as the moment, obviously, but DS1 wore the "little brother" Carter's Layette set, DS2 wore a gift outfit from a fellow baby loss mom who had bought it for her "surprise" rainbow baby in case she had been a boy, she was a girl, so she gave me the outfit she had very painstakingly selected and it was perfect.

I can totally understand just wanting to get the heck out of the hospital (we did too), and not really caring what they wore, but for me, I cared. I will never ever forget leaving the hospital with our boys, and leaving without DD.

Oh, this made me cry. I have a special reverence and respect for mammas who lose their babies, it's something I can't imagine going through.