PDA

View Full Version : First AG doll?

acmom
10-31-2013, 01:04 PM
We are planning to buy DD an AG doll for Christmas. She will be 5.5 at Christmas and has always been a doll lover. She has the bitty baby and the bitty twins and takes good care of them and has asked for one of the big dolls as her main Christmas wish.

She is still open to several different choices of dolls, including a "My American Girl" (although there isn't really one that looks like her), Kit, Emily or Rebecca. I have a feeling this won't be our only AG doll as she spends a large amount of her play time with dolls and I am guessing another one will be on the top of her wish list so that the first has a "friend" or a "sister" for her play.

Any recommendations about a good one to start with (or steer away from til she is older)? Or it is just personal preference?

BunnyBee
10-31-2013, 01:16 PM
Personal preference, though I'd avoid any long curls. It's a PITA to keep it non-rat-nesty! Make sure you get one of their wire bristle brushes and use a water misting bottle when you do brush. If she picks one with long hair, it's easier (until they're really adept at brushing without ripping the doll bald) to keep the hair in a ponytail or braids for playing.

Neatfreak
10-31-2013, 02:10 PM
I might have her mixed up with another doll, but I think that Emily is retiring at the end of the year (with Molly) ...

DD1's AG has long wavey hair and braids or a ponytail have been a good strategy.

elephantmeg
11-01-2013, 08:28 AM
DD also had a bitty and twins and got a JLY (just like you) one this summer. Then I got the $40 marie grace one when I actually managed to see the deal before it expired! DD is also 5.5 and she has done great with the big AG doll and its been nice to be able to buy knock off accessories for it since target/walmart etc all have 18 inch doll collections and the clothes fit AG.

brittone2
11-01-2013, 08:56 AM
We are planning to buy DD an AG doll for Christmas. She will be 5.5 at Christmas and has always been a doll lover. She has the bitty baby and the bitty twins and takes good care of them and has asked for one of the big dolls as her main Christmas wish.

She is still open to several different choices of dolls, including a "My American Girl" (although there isn't really one that looks like her), Kit, Emily or Rebecca. I have a feeling this won't be our only AG doll as she spends a large amount of her play time with dolls and I am guessing another one will be on the top of her wish list so that the first has a "friend" or a "sister" for her play.

Any recommendations about a good one to start with (or steer away from til she is older)? Or it is just personal preference?

DD got her first AG 18 inch doll at age 5. We don't live particularly close to a B&M store, and we were in the Boston area over her bday. She had a Gotz 18 inch doll that she had taken excellent care of for 1.5 years, so we felt she could handle it. She also already had a Bitty Baby.

She picked out a Just Like You doll. I encouraged her to stick with straighter hair. She also used some of her own money to buy the cast and crutches set.

Over the next year or so, she started reading the historical doll books. We participate in a HS co-op, and we used the books as part of a co-op class. She is coming up on 7 and has read nearly all of them, and reread some of them many times. Once she read those, she fell in love with the historical dolls. She requested Kit last year for Christmas (DD had just turned 6). Kit is pretty easy to care for, but it is also fun to wait until they are attached to the characters through the books. Looking back I think I'm pretty happy that we started with a JLY, and then waited for her to read the books and connect with one of the historical characters.

She is getting Molly and Emily this year (will have just turned 7), and possibly Marie Grace, who has been languishing in my attic since last year's big sale on her.

lizzywednesday
11-01-2013, 09:01 AM
FYI - Emily & Molly will be retired this year, so you may want to buy both (sorry!) and give Molly as a birthday gift if she's interested in Emily.

Tenasparkl
11-01-2013, 09:56 AM
My DD got a few a AG dolls from a friend that outgrew them. Her favorite is Kit (or Kit Kit as she calls her). I like her too for her easy to care for hair. I think she's a good first AG doll. She asked for Molly and Saige and because I'm a sucker I bought both since they won't be available for much longer.

MMMommy
11-01-2013, 05:57 PM
DD1 has Mckenna, Marie Grace, Julie, and a "like me" AG. DD2 has Kit, Emily, Saige and a "like me". Out of all of them, my personal fav is Emily. I I think her outfit and characteristics are so cute. For a first doll, I would consider a doll with long, straight hair like Julie. Just because the wavy haired ones end up quite tangled and frizzy if not brushed with water and a wig brush.

brittone2
11-01-2013, 07:04 PM
FYI - Emily & Molly will be retired this year, so you may want to buy both (sorry!) and give Molly as a birthday gift if she's interested in Emily.

Yes, we have both. MIL asked DD what she wanted when I wasn't around, unfortunately. In the meantime DH and I bought both M & E. Then we went over to MIL's house and saw Molly circled in a catalog. I had DH ask MIL when DD was not within earshot, and she had of course already purchased both as well. MIL does a lot of charitable fundraising, so she's going to give Molly to DD and auction off Emily as part of one of her upcoming fundraisers. We're going to give Emily, and I guess sell Molly on CL, as I don't want to pay return shipping (I don't live near an AG store). We still have M-G stashed too.

acmom
11-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Thanks for all the responses! I am leaning toward either Kit or a doll like her (or semi like her since there isn't really a good match!). She seems to be the most drawn to those 2. I am just torn between going the historical route now or waiting....

She is a good reader (although at this point I would still be reading these to her) and often grasps social themes that are a little above her age, but can also be a little sensitive about them. I feel like besides the fast that she likes Kit a lot and she has shorter more manageable hair, Kit's stories might be a little less mature than some of the other themes that involve war, etc...is that accurate?

If your DD has read the books, what age did you start reading them and what did you start with? Did you have the doll first or read the books first?

ETA: I am considering buying Emily anyway and putting her away - I have Molly from when I was little so then we would have both. Is that crazy?

Thanks!

brittone2
11-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Dd is fairly sensitive, although not as sensitive as my son was at the same age. The only AG character's books that she found upsetting were Felicity and Addie. Felicity has themes surrounding some not so nice treatment of a horse, and DD struggles with anything involving mistreatment or tension about animals. That one was okay, but a little tense for her. Addy's story was upsetting to her as well. We were reading them for a co-op class or I might have waited longer on them. We had previously discussed slavery, but it was a bit different reading it from Addy's perspective. I think the separation the family endured was very hard for her to hear. She did not cry when we read Felicity, but was in tears reading Addy. She handled it fine after that initial introduction.

Kit's story has some sensitive spots regarding the Depression, but definitely didn't bother her at all on the same level. DD kind of enjoyed the "waste not, want not" themes. She definitely connected with Kit's story.

acmom
11-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Dd is fairly sensitive, although not as sensitive as my son was at the same age. The only AG character's books that she found upsetting were Felicity and Addie. Felicity has themes surrounding some not so nice treatment of a horse, and DD struggles with anything involving mistreatment or tension about animals. That one was okay, but a little tense for her. Addy's story was upsetting to her as well. We were reading them for a co-op class or I might have waited longer on them. We had previously discussed slavery, but it was a bit different reading it from Addy's perspective. I think the separation the family endured was very hard for her to hear. She did not cry when we read Felicity, but was in tears reading Addy. She handled it fine after that initial introduction.

Kit's story has some sensitive spots regarding the Depression, but definitely didn't bother her at all on the same level. DD kind of enjoyed the "waste not, want not" themes. She definitely connected with Kit's story.

So you think Kit's stories would be ok to start at 5.5? I think DD would be empathic but not upset by the waste not, want not themes. I actually think those themes could be great for all kids to hear this day in age!

brittone2
11-02-2013, 09:42 AM
So you think Kit's stories would be ok to start at 5.5? I think DD would be empathic but not upset by the waste not, want not themes. I actually think those themes could be great for all kids to hear this day in age!
I'm sure it depends on the kid but my DD didn't have an issue with them. Kit's dad also does have to move away for work if I remember correctly, so that's another theme that could possibly trigger emotions in some kids. I hope I'm not leaving anything out....but from what I remember DD did just fine with the themes in Kit's books. She was between 5.5 and 6 when we started reading them together, and she gradually took over the reigns.

Kit is very cute :)

AnnieW625
11-02-2013, 04:24 PM

We did Molly because I found that for me it was easier to explain World War 2 than The Great Depression, plus the mini doll and books were on sale at Costco a few years ago and 5/1/2 and I had bought them from my Grandma who was about the same age as Molly so I could explain it to her that her great grandma was a child/teen during WW2. We started reading them when she was 6. DD1 and DH watched the Kit movie last year when DD1 was 6/1/2 or so and DH said she found it harder to deal with than the Molly movies and books. I initially thought I would get her Molly too, but she wanted Marie Grace instead so I bought that one instead during the Today Show deal last year (the store honored the price) and missed out on Cecile a few weeks ago as I didn't think DD1 was interested, but if course she circled it in the catalog when it came a few days later (oops!). I do plan to get Josefina for my girls though because they are of Mexican and Hispanic heritage, but otherwise I really want my girls to get the dolls they want as I think it makes them more special. DD1 has read the Felicity books as well and has said she would like Felicity, but I told her she was discontinued.

Marie Grace's hair stays in a braid at all time though because DD1 has shown little interest in doing her hair so I end up doing it.

KrisM
11-02-2013, 04:56 PM
DD got her first doll just after turning 5. We were on vacation and went to the Boston store. She really wanted Kanani, but the hair scared me, so she got a Just Like You with straight hair. The hair was a mistake as it was very straight and it's very difficult to style. Hair with more wave would be good, I think.

She now has Kanani, McKenna, and Saige. She takes care of them all really well. She does their hair, makes them clothes, etc. McKenna has the best hair, I think.

Right now, she's making a winter scene to use as a background to do a photo shoot. I am trying to get her into that a little bit - not just playing with the dolls, but setting them up a bit. She does make a school for them, etc, but she does better when a friend is here playing too. Otherwise, she does play, but differently.

acmom
11-03-2013, 11:53 AM
Thank you all for the info and advice! I was thinking of going with Kit and ordering today with the free shipping but now DD also says she really likes Emily and maybe wants her! Ahhhh - it is so hard when they keep changing their mind. I have Molly from when I was little and know this is the last chance to get Emily so am now trying to decide between Kit and Emily. So I have a couple more questions...

- when they retire a doll, does all the stuff retire too? Would this be a big deal not to be able to get more of Emily/Molly's stuff after this year?

- are Emily and Molly's stories ok to start reading at 5.5?

- any indication that Kit and Ruthie will be retired any time soon?

Thanks! Sorry for the million questions!

MMMommy
11-03-2013, 06:52 PM
If you are debating between Kit and Emily, I would go with Emily since she is retiring. Once she is gone, she is gone. Unless you find her on Ebay or another reseller. Plus your DD says she really likes Emily and might want her. Kit, you can get anytime.

Seitvonzu
11-03-2013, 09:37 PM
yes-- when they retire -- they retire EVERYTHING. so ... yes, you won't be able to get "emily stuff" once emily is retired. as much as it stinks... anything you like-- i'd get now. otherwise you will be paying secondary market :(