PDA

View Full Version : You are almost 10. Why did you draw all over yourself?

lalasmama
11-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Title says it all. I assumed my nearly 10 year old was old enough to be awake when DH and I sleep in. Guess not. She colored all over herself with markers, "just cuz I wanted to."

Markers gone for who knows how long, because, REALLY?! She's known this wasn't okay since she was 3!

She's in a testing phase right now. Refusing to sleep, not paying attention in school, lying about homework status, etc. We have an appointment with the doctor to talk about new ADHD meds, and something to help her sleep. Yesterday she puked all over the car, and was babied afterwards (I mean, I do have a heart), which makes me wonder if she just thought she wouldn't get in trouble for this since she was sick yesterday.

But REALLY?! Markers?! All over herself?! Ugh!

Indianamom2
11-02-2013, 03:36 PM
I 100% understand. DD just turned 9 and we have the same issue from time to time. She's on a new ADHD med and I think it's making her a little crazy at the moment. She's not sleeping either. You have my sympathies!

ahisma
11-02-2013, 07:13 PM
My 14 year old still draws all over herself. Granted, it's artistic, but still...

There may be no end in sight. Hugs.

AshleyAnn
11-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm 26 and I pay other people to draw on me. My dad can't stand tattoos, I have 3 with plans for another andmy brother has 6 - just accept the art now.

lkoala
11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
So i left 6 yr old DD with my Mom for 1 hour to run an errand. Came back to find DD had drawn all over herself with marker. Apparently Grandma thought it was ok since DD often has marker on her hands from art at school. Gah.... Good thing we only buy washable markers.

StantonHyde
11-03-2013, 02:14 PM
ok, bag over my head here, but I have no problem with kids drawing on themselves---with WASHABLE markers. Of course, DD did this when she was 3-5, not 10. That does make a difference.....

pinkmomagain
11-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Sounds totally annoying, however not surprising with our ADHD kids. Impulsivity is a hallmark. Maybe the dr will have some insight/ideas. Good luck!

SummerBaby
11-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Another ADHD Kid here- I'm constantly arguing with my 9 year old about writing on herself! She especially loves to color all her fingernails. Imagine her delight at her first swim meet last month where she discovered its actually encouraged to write your events on your arm! Of course she took it one step further and colored her team logo over every square inch of her body.... In SHARPIE! Thankfully her face was spared.

I totally feel your pain- mine hasn't slept before 12:00 am in a month....

lalasmama
11-03-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm 26 and I pay other people to draw on me. My dad can't stand tattoos, I have 3 with plans for another andmy brother has 6 - just accept the art now.

Artistic expression is one thing. If it was a picture, I wouldn't be complaining as much. But, no, just scribbles all over her fingers, hands, arms. I even asked if she was trying to make fake tattoos. "No, I just wanted to color on myself."

My 14 year old still draws all over herself. Granted, it's artistic, but still...

There may be no end in sight. Hugs.

I'm okay with artistic, LOL. This was just scribbles. Middle DD was once who drew all over herself. It drove DH batty, but I can understand that a little more than just the scribbles...

ok, bag over my head here, but I have no problem with kids drawing on themselves---with WASHABLE markers. Of course, DD did this when she was 3-5, not 10. That does make a difference.....

I have no problem with accidental drawing on one's body (thinking when I end up with marker on the outer side of my hand from going over wet marker on the page), or even artistic expression (a la "fake tattoo" idea). One of my friends used to use gel pens and draw elaborate "tattoos" all over herself, and if DD wanted to do that, it would be fine with me.

Another ADHD Kid here- I'm constantly arguing with my 9 year old about writing on herself! She especially loves to color all her fingernails. Imagine her delight at her first swim meet last month where she discovered its actually encouraged to write your events on your arm! Of course she took it one step further and colored her team logo over every square inch of her body.... In SHARPIE! Thankfully her face was spared.

I totally feel your pain- mine hasn't slept before 12:00 am in a month....

This totally made me laugh. About 2 years ago, I think I posted on here about DD being encouraged to color all over herself in Sunday School. Encouraged as in "DD, you MUST draw on yourself." They were talking about the leper colonies, but the lesson was totally lost on DD, who was surprised/excited that Teacher told her she must color on herself, and, of course, she had to listen to Teacher, so why was Mommy so annoyed by it? (Maybe the fact that we had an appointment for professional pictures *right* after church? Or the fact that we've discussed not coloring on one's self? Or that it was Sharpie? Or the fact that DD has sensitive skin, and I had to douse her with rubbing alcohol pads, and then wash her, then moisturize her skin, and deal with the red rash from the above cleaning regime to get said Sharpie off her?)

Ahhhhh, life with a child with ADHD. I'm thinking we're the only people who love the time change, as DD will be seriously tired at bed time tonight!