PDA

View Full Version : Talk to me about Corelle dishes

Melaine
11-03-2013, 07:59 AM
When we got married, we registered for cheap dishes from Target. I always planned to replace them with nicer china. Now 10 years in, with three kids and still living in a small space, I've decided I *still* don't want fine china. I want to replace them with Corelle because what we have now is all chipped plus it's NMS anymore. I am incredibly rough with the kitchenware and have broken or chipped a bunch of stuff. (Not the kids...me!). I am looking at the different options and although I really like bright patterns in general, I think going with the solid white would make more sense with all my various colorful serving dishes and pots. So the winter frost, I guess? I know that I don't want mugs or cups because I have plenty of those that I like already.

So is worldkitchen the best price for this stuff? We aren't near outlets. If you use Corelle, what pieces do you have? Any downside to Corelle?

oneontheway
11-03-2013, 08:32 AM
I bought four sets of the winter frost from target online last year on black friday really cheap. I love them. They are easy for the kids to use and we haven't had anything break, chip, etc. They fit great in my bosch dishwasher and get sparkly clean. They are simple and pratical which is what we need right now and take up very little space in the cabinets. I'm not a fine china girl though. I like a lot of really nice things but dishes just don't impress me.

MamaMolly
11-03-2013, 08:35 AM
I love my corelle. I have a pattern from when DH and I were married and honestly it's NMS anymore, plus we have white. So about 8 or so of each kind, that I usually mix. IIWY I'd get the plain ones and then get a set of plates in a pattern you like, with the idea that you might replace those sooner rather than later. I have a lot of colorful serving pieces and I find that I tend to gravitate to similar colors so the patterns and colors coordinate. Being matchy-matchy isn't my thing. I admire it in others, just can't pull it off myself ;)

The one downside to Correlle is when it breaks it SHATTERS. We have hardwood in the our kitchen now and it is 1000x better than the tile we've had previously. When the dishes hit the tile floor they would explode and glass shards would go everywhere, some would bounce onto counters, it was a huge mess.

We don't have the mugs or cups either. We prefer the 50 cent Ikea ones that have the water drain/notch on the bottom.

cckwmh
11-03-2013, 08:37 AM
I bought four sets of the winter frost from target online last year on black friday really cheap. I love them. They are easy for the kids to use and we haven't had anything break, chip, etc. They fit great in my bosch dishwasher and get sparkly clean. They are simple and pratical which is what we need right now and take up very little space in the cabinets. I'm not a fine china girl though. I like a lot of really nice things but dishes just don't impress me.

I second waiting until black friday. I bought the winter white last year at target (B&M) and i think it was $20 for box with 4 place settings.

Melaine
11-03-2013, 08:38 AM

Ooooh do you happen to remember how much those were on BF? I'm wondering if that might happen again.

Momit
11-03-2013, 08:44 AM
I am also the proud owner of a bunch of winter frost dishes. I have had them forever and they wear like iron. My DH did manage to break one plate - somehow he dropped it so it landed on its edge and broke in half. But they survived years of college roommates and various moves with only that one casualty.

I have 3 sizes of plates, bowls and cups. We don't really ever use the cups. My favorite pieces are the shallow soup bowls - they made great plates for DS because the sloped sides helped him get food onto his utensils when he was first learning to use them (we used them daily until about 6 months ago). They also make a small divided plate for kids who like to keep their food separated.

We use them mainly for eating outside now but I still love them. I like that they are simple so you can use colorful placemats and napkins to dress up your table.

Not sure the best place to buy them. I usually hit an outlet when we see one.

WatchingThemGrow
11-03-2013, 08:49 AM
We've had their divided plates for kids for several years. When we were hoboing around and stayed at someone's house with large heavy Italian painted plates, I decided to run to the outlet and grab some Winter Frost White sets to make it through our stay at their house. At first I got 2 of the 18 piece set with no mugs. Then with that coupon, I went back and got another set, plus some serving bowls, then later platters, then some soup/salad bowls, then some rice bowls. It's almost the same as this collection now, and we have 15-18 of most plates. Our collection is sorta like this. http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/tabletop-dinnerware-sets/1112009.html#start=11 I think it's awesome because it doesn't take up a ton of space in our (small) cabinets, and it's easy to deal with. Carrying a bunch to the table isn't a big deal, then don't take up massive amounts of table space, etc. We are having another family of 5 over today and there will be no shortage of plates, even if we already have some in the dishwasher.

I did have to run out to BBB to get another package of our silverware because we're always running out of forks for kids anyway.

waitingforgrace
11-03-2013, 08:57 AM
We love our Corelle dishes. We have the vive enhancements pattern (winter white with a swirl at the edge) and winter white. We received "nicer" everyday dishes for our wedding and ten years later still use the Corelle. They fit better in our dishwasher and have never broken or chipped. I also like the variety of pieces you can get. We never use the cups and saucers but like the dessert plates, divided plates for DDs, and pasta bowl. Our sets we found on clearance at Walmart way back when. We've had these Corelle dishes for at least 15 years. Miscellaneous pieces I usually buy at an outlet store when we're near one or really any store that happens to carry them. They are really reasonably priced when you consider how long they last.

marymoo86
11-03-2013, 09:08 AM
I have no idea which pattern it is I have but got a set or rather won one in college. 20+ years and still going strong. Amazed how well it is has aged and survived upteen moves. We continually use this even though I have a casual and formal china patterns. What a waste - at least the formal pattern I got 70% during a warehouse sale so not too much invested. Now the crystal I have.....

ETA: DISCLAIMER- like many other items, I have no idea if the current manufacturing of this product is the same and will produce the quality of my old set

hellokitty
11-03-2013, 09:26 AM
I have 3 sets of winter frost. Dh kept breaking our stoneware and then we realized that the newer dishwashers have such close racks that we needed thinner dishes. Anyway, I always thought Corelle was ugly. I don't like the patterns. However, the plain white is neutral and I don't for see us changing dishes again. Like others have said. If you wait until closer to Xmas shopping, these sets go on sale all of the time. Even though yuo don't need the mugs or glasses, it cheaper buying as a set than ala carte. We also have some large serving bowls and divided plates for the kids from the outlet and love those too. Their mugs are OK, I like that they're microwaveable and don't get super hot like my other mugs. However, their glasses are thin and cheap. We broke several of them and I ended io donating what was left of them. We basically use beer glasses as our everyday glasses. So if you buy the sets, by the ones that come with the mugs.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

AnnieW625
11-03-2013, 10:17 AM
We have the Memphis pattern (http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/search?q=memPhis), DD1 picked it out when she was 3 and I wanted to get her some plates. We have 4 lunch plates, 2 bread & butter plates, and 4 cereal bowls. TBH I never thought Corelle was my style till I happened to see a few non pink or peach floral patterns at the outlet when I was there was DD1 that time. I will say that the dinner plates are really big, which us why I went with the lunch plates for the kids. I would love to get 16-20 dinner plates to have on hand for the occasional time we have guests over for a party and I really like the Happy Days pattern (http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/tabletop-plates/1085740.html#q=happy+days&start=9) for that. I just need some color in my dinnerware.

We had one bowl break when it was in the sink and DD1 put a glass down it and it cracked right down the middle, but other than that the plates and bowls have fallen on the ground and not broken.

My mil, DD1's godmother, and DH's grandma have had Corelle for years since the 60s or 70s and it has held up great. My MIL also bought a set in the 90s or early 2000s and it has held up great as well.

MelissaTC
11-03-2013, 10:19 AM
I bought lunch plates that matched my Fiestaware. We use them all the time. During the summer, I picked up a set for 4 (dinner plates, bowls) made in the 70's, complete with the coffee cups. I paid $7. We use those plates most days as they are smaller, lighter and all around easier.

dogmom
11-03-2013, 11:29 AM
Corelle dishes fall into the "Why the HECK didn't I do this earlier" issues. I went through everyday dishes I had before marriage. Got a new set before kids. 4-5 years after that I told my Mom I needed new everyday dishes because I had broken/chipped so many. She sent me a gift certificate to buy nice ones. I did, some nice ones, can't remember what. Then I proceeded to chip them, they were heavy, they were hot coming out of the microwave.

I went home to visit my Mom and say the set of Corelle dishes my dad got her when they were married as an open an account at this bank and get free dishes. They were 40 years old, still in good shape, still no chips, light weight, didn't get warm, took up less space in the cabinet. I got two 16 piece Corelle Livingware set, green leaves around the border with green stoneware mugs. Later I bought 5 of the white cereal bowls, my DH loves those. One of these days I'm going to splurge and get a set of the square ones for "in between" china. I wish I had gotten Corelle earlier! So much more practical and they still look great years later.

MommyAllison
11-03-2013, 11:33 AM
The one downside to Correlle is when it breaks it SHATTERS. We have hardwood in the our kitchen now and it is 1000x better than the tile we've had previously. When the dishes hit the tile floor they would explode and glass shards would go everywhere, some would bounce onto counters, it was a huge mess.

:yeahthat: A plate fell from the table to the tile floor at my parents house and shattered into a billion sharp shards of glass. Definitely the downside to Corelle, and why we aren't switching to it from our stoneware. At least the stoneware just breaks into a few pieces.

Indianamom2
11-03-2013, 11:39 AM
We have the Vive Enhancement white set (with a swirled edge). I believe we've had them for about 13 years now and this summer is the first time something broke. My mom was visiting and accidentally knocked it out of a cabinet onto a tile floor. It did shatter, but it wasn't that big of a deal to clean compared to what I was imagining. I love my corelle set. It looks classy but I don't sweat if I have to replace a piece.

oneontheway
11-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Ooooh do you happen to remember how much those were on BF? I'm wondering if that might happen again.

I can't remember but I think somewhere between $15 to $19 plus the redcard discount.

Mikey0709
11-03-2013, 12:34 PM
Loved Corelle since the 70's when my mom used it (white with gold flower edge). Now we use plain white. Started with square plates, then realized round is more versatile and I find it everywhere (flea mkts, garage sales). I have a huge collection Snd wouldn't use anything else. We very rarely break a piece and kids use the bowls for Legos!

karstmama
11-03-2013, 12:49 PM
*love* my winter white corelle. i also have a set with thin navy rings on the outside - they came with huge bowls, like twice the depth of the regular soup bowls, great for little serving dishes. at mama's, we eat off of winter white platters.

funny story - my aunt came to mama's once & loved eating off the platters. she wanted some, too, for sundays when her kids & grands came, but she was cheap. her family therefore ate off corelle halloween platters she found deeply discounted for years!

anonomom
11-03-2013, 05:31 PM
I grew up with Corelle, and I don't remember a piece of my mom's set ever breaking. I always wanted it when I had my own place, but someone gave us a heavy stonewear set for our wedding. I finally convinced DH to get Corelle a few years ago and I'm so glad we did. They're just so practical, nice looking/feeling and easy to clean/store.

I have found that we rarely use our large dinner plates -- the lunch plates are what gets most used. I have a dozen of them and over the course of three meals a day, we often end up using every single one. I also love the cereal bowls, but I have a hunch that's just a nostalgia thing.

I wish I'd kept some of my mom's teacups. They were so pretty and felt so nice (totally different from the mugs they have now).

swissair81
11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I have three or four sets of a Corelle white set called enhancements. It's plain white with a swirl on the sides. I bought it in 2001 and maybe we lost two or three pieces to breakage. I'm very happy with it. I have the standard pieces plus a serving platter. I also have a set called Classic cafe blue livingware for my dairy Passover dishes. It's simple and I really like it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2013, 06:54 PM
I think you can buy open stock individual pieces at their outlet stores. Used to at least....10 years ago.

AnnieW625
11-03-2013, 07:11 PM
I think you can buy open stock individual pieces at their outlet stores. Used to at least....10 years ago.

And as of four years ago, but I don't recall if they had all of the patterns or not.

Gracemom
11-04-2013, 11:28 AM
I bought a set of white Corelle at Walmart for $16. It had 4 dinner plates, salad plates and bowls. That is all we needed and it has held up so well! I also have Fiestaware which feels so heavy compared to the Corelle.

indigo99
11-04-2013, 02:18 PM
The one downside to Correlle is when it breaks it SHATTERS.

I agree. My mother and grandmother used correlle a lot, and it seemed like it was always breaking all over the place. We have a set of mikasa everyday stoneware that we like, but it isn't fancy. Last year we purchased a new set of these mikasa dishes (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AE8NN2/ref=oh_details_o03_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1), and I've been very happy. They're lightweight and stand up to knife use very well. The only thing I don't especially like is the mugs, but we don't use them much anyway.

BabbyO
11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Loved Corelle since the 70's when my mom used it (white with gold flower edge). Now we use plain white. Started with square plates, then realized round is more versatile and I find it everywhere (flea mkts, garage sales). I have a huge collection Snd wouldn't use anything else. We very rarely break a piece and kids use the bowls for Legos!

My mom has the same white with gold flower edge. She's had those plates for over 30 years...and they still use them daily. I think we only managed to break maybe 2-3 pieces in all that time.

I wish DH would agree to a corelle pattern....but he doesn't like any of them and neither of us likes the white. someday maybe.

AnnieW625
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
........I wish DH would agree to a corelle pattern....but he doesn't like any of them and neither of us likes the white. someday maybe.

So glad to know that I don't have the only DH who has an opinion about china patterns (he actually picked out our fine china pattern). :rotflmao:

My DH wouldn't have said anything had I picked a Corelle pattern (as he grew up with it), but when we got married he was obsessed with the black, white, and brown Calvin Klein stoneware that was really big from around 2000 to 2004, and we ended up agreeing to something else from Mikasa that I picked out (Aztec Blue), but then a few years I was gifted some Heath Ceramics stoneware and we both really like it so we ditched our Mikasa for the Heath. I like the colors (light to medium blue on top, and brown on the bottom) better than the CK stuff, but he still thinks it is funny and takes the credit that we eventually agreed on something he would have picked out had we known about Heath Ceramics when we got married. He probably would have gone for the Memphis pattern my kids have now, but I was kind of anti Corelle then (I didn't grow up with Corelle) and may not like the Happy Days dinner plates I am thinking about getting to use for parties, but at this point for the party stuff I don't care what he thinks, plus it won't take up a lot of space (which he will care about);), and I don't want something that screams MIL, or something that is plain white (although I am limited when it comes to dessert plates, which I also want to get).