PDA

View Full Version : International travel stopover in Vienna or Warsaw?

mikeys_mom
11-03-2013, 02:25 PM
We are planning to travel with all 4 kids overseas in March. We are travelling on reward points so not a ton of flexibility in what flights we choose. At the moment we found a flight there with 6 seats so we can all go together. For the return flight it looks like we need to split-up. DH and I will each take 2 kids and different routes that leave and arrive at around the same time. Stopovers are both just a few hours.

Options are either;
1) Austrian airlines with a stopover in Vienna
2) LOT Polish airlines with a stopover in Warsaw

We don't plan to leave the airport. DH will have the older 2 kids and I will be with the twins who will be 5yo at the time of travel. Dh said I should choose which route I prefer and he'll take the other.

Anyone been through these airports or on these airlines? Any thoughts on pros/cons of either would be much appreciated.

fedoragirl
11-03-2013, 03:51 PM
I've been through Vienna. This was about 5 years ago so my memory is spotty. I did have an 8 hour layover so I do remember that they had virtually no seating in the international area. There were regular stores and lots of chocolate but no place to sit.

mikeys_mom
11-04-2013, 08:30 AM
I've been through Vienna. This was about 5 years ago so my memory is spotty. I did have an 8 hour layover so I do remember that they had virtually no seating in the international area. There were regular stores and lots of chocolate but no place to sit.

Thanks for the information. Mmmmm....chocolate sounds yummy :) But no seating stinks. I did see that mentioned in some of the online airport reviews. The airport supposedly had a major renovation and upgrade last year, particularly the Star Alliance hub, which is where I would be. It's unclear if they improved the seating issue.

ged
11-09-2013, 04:55 AM
Thanks for the information. Mmmmm....chocolate sounds yummy :) But no seating stinks. I did see that mentioned in some of the online airport reviews. The airport supposedly had a major renovation and upgrade last year, particularly the Star Alliance hub, which is where I would be. It's unclear if they improved the seating issue.

Hmm...if you read about improvements, then I think you should go with what. If I had to choose based on the very little I know, I would choose Vienna as well.

mikeys_mom
11-09-2013, 11:54 PM
Hmm...if you read about improvements, then I think you should go with what. If I had to choose based on the very little I know, I would choose Vienna as well.

After looking at the flight times more closely, the flight through Vienna only has a 1hr 15min connection time, which is quite tight. We decided it would be best for DH to take that route with the older 2 kids because if they need to run to make the connection it will be easier. My little 2 would totally freak out and I have visions of myself having to carry them screaming plus all the carry-on to make the connecting flight. Plus, if they do miss the flight it's just easier to be rerouted with the older kids.

I'm flying with the little 2 through Warsaw with a 4hr stopover. Hopefully it will be uneventful and we will all make it back home without too many complications.

lele
11-15-2013, 04:03 AM
Since you are only going to be in the airport, it probably doesn't matter much. But, Poland is faring rather well lately. Less economic problems than other places, so there may be some nice stuff at the airport. (I have not been there--so I am not speaking from experience, just speculation.)