PDA

View Full Version : We had a break in :(

trales
11-03-2013, 07:33 PM
I came home from work on Friday at 230 and found the front door partially opened and splintered. The outside is steel, the inner core is wood. The people used some sort of ram to break it down since both locks and the deadbolt were in place. Our Newf was free in the house, they did not hurt her and clearly she did not scare them. The tossed the entire house dumping drawers but only took all the spare change in the bedroom, a camera and emptied all the prescription drug bottles. they left 2 lap tops, a video camera, ipad etc in plain sight. They even left my diamond ring next to the emptied prenatal vitamin bottles. It was crazy.

As soon as I saw the door, I freed the terrified dog and ran to the neighbors, I called 911, the first officer arrived within 4 minutes. We had 7 officers and cars from city and county within 10 minutes. They cleared the house, fingerprinted, took inventory, etc.

To just make life more crazy, the school bus arrived to drop of DD at the driveway while 7 cruisers and officers were in the driveway. She was pretty freaked out, but the officers did an amazing job talking to her and calming her down. A friend came right away and picked her up while I dealt with things.

We had the front door replaced first thing in the morning. The locks are getting done tomorrow, and I have 3 alarm companies coming this week to give quotes.

Between the physical and emotional stress I ended up having cramps and mini contractions all day on Saturday. I went to bed mid afternoon and slept 15 hours.

I hate to say my dad is bad luck, but . . . in the last few years while he has been visiting DH has pulled his back and ended up being taken to the hospital by ambulance, the septic system overflowed, the roof leaked, the dog got hit by a car, now this. He is closing on a house near us, (moved from the midwest to be closer to us) tomorrow. I dread to think what is going to happen next.

At the end of the day we were super lucky and have a great community of friends to help, but I am still sick about the whole thing. Some stranger was in our house and tossed my underpants drawer.

Fingerprint powder sucks to clean up.

MMMommy
11-03-2013, 07:38 PM
I am so sorry! Glad that no one was home and hurt by the intruders, including your dog.

Strange (and fortunate) that they only took spare change, a camera, and RX drugs and not the other obvious valuables.

P&PT to your family for safety and security.

arivecchi
11-03-2013, 07:42 PM
I am sorry. That must be terrifying. So glad they did not hurt your doggy.

pinkmomagain
11-03-2013, 07:46 PM
So sorry to hear but glad no one was hurt and little was taken. I hope you are able to move past all the trouble and things go back to normal quickly for you and your family.

elektra
11-03-2013, 07:53 PM
I am so sorry! I have only had smaller break ins to my car but even then I felt so violated. Hope you start feeling better soon.

SnuggleBuggles
11-03-2013, 08:02 PM
:(. Are you sure they didn't take any ID (passports, birth certificates...) or things like checks? I'm sorry that happened.

ZeeBaby
11-03-2013, 08:05 PM
So sorry your family was violated like this.

hillview
11-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I am so sorry. We were broken into when I was about 11 and it was horrible. HUGS

specialp
11-03-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm so sorry! Did the police have any ideas on why they took such random things (other than the RX stuff) and yet left other things like the ipad which are hot theft items right now?

trales
11-03-2013, 08:30 PM
The police made us find all our passports, SSN cards etc. They said since we had spare checkbooks in the house that they wanted us to go to the bank on Monday and get new accounts. The police were really great and gave us a lot of wonderful info. The one officer stayed about an hour to help me do a room by room search of missing items. I was very impressed by the response. They strongly believe the person was after narcotic drugs and quick cash. We have spent all weekend going room by room and can't find anything missing. We also called the credit cards and put a flag on them, and are having all the locks in the house rekeyed.

TwinFoxes
11-03-2013, 08:32 PM
I am so sorry. That sounds really awful. I'm glad your family, pets, and valuables were safe. It sounds like they were after drugs. :(

larig
11-03-2013, 08:33 PM
Glad the police took such good care of you. So sorry that you're dealing with this on top of the pregnancy. hope the rest sails by stress-free.

boogiemomz
11-03-2013, 08:37 PM
Oh my goodness, how unthinkably frightening. I'm so sorry this happened. Thankful everyone is alright. :hug:

ShanaMama
11-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I am so sorry for you. Besides for all the aggravation you must feel so violated.

georgiegirl
11-03-2013, 08:50 PM
How scary. It is strange (and good ) they didn't take the iPad, laptops or your ring,

twowhat?
11-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Oh goodness. I am so, so sorry:(

Melaine
11-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm so sorry!!!! I hope the police have luck catching those jerks and that you guys can get back to normal at home.

oneplustwo
11-03-2013, 09:02 PM
OMG! I am so glad to hear you, your family and your dog are all safe and that you have such an amazing police force and a super, professional, competent response. I feel so terrible for you. Our neighbor, also pregnant at the time, came home one evening to find a similar break-in, and ran over to our house. It was awful ~ she was so shaken, so freaked, felt so violated. We called 911 for her and DH walked back to her driveway to wait for the police while she stayed with the kids and me. I felt so spooked just witnessing what she went through, I can only begin to imagine for you!

flashy09
11-03-2013, 09:09 PM
We had a break in while sleeping in the middle of the night that was very similar. Only cash taken, but the medicine cabinet in the bathroom was open. We have no RX drugs and apparently infant Advil is not a great high, lol. Same as you, the iPad, phones, computers, credit cards, etc not touched. The police were sure he was just looking for quick drug money (and RX drugs to take or sell/trade).

I would definitely get the alarm. Our intruder came back the next week and tried again, but didn't pursue it that hard and I think the alarm really helped. And the shotgun cover my DH left on the back porch!

bigsis
11-03-2013, 09:21 PM
:hug: I've btdt. And I've also had a couple of awful "bad luck" years. :( Hang in there! :hug:

liz
11-03-2013, 09:27 PM
I am so sorry :(

Sent from my Galaxy phone using Tapatalk

Tondi G
11-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Not that it makes you feel any less violated but better a burglary when you weren't home. Glad it seems they were only after quick cash and drugs.... it's amazing how desperate drug addicts can be huh! (((HUGS)))

KpbS
11-03-2013, 09:37 PM
I'm really sorry that happened, ugh! My DH said it is likely they were high as kites, hence leaving all the valuables. I'm so glad the police response was good and your things are safe.

Hugs to you! :hug:

Momit
11-03-2013, 09:39 PM
How awful. So glad everyone, including your pup, is safe. It sounds like you have great police in your community.

123LuckyMom
11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm so sorry this happened to you but so grateful no one was injured and that so many valuables were left behind! Hugs to you!

Pennylane
11-03-2013, 10:02 PM
So glad that you all are safe and not too much was taken. So scary!

Ann

Kindra178
11-03-2013, 10:03 PM

This to all three. Please rest.

hellokitty
11-03-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm so sorry. In glad that you are all OK, but I understand being totally freaked out by this.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

MontrealMum
11-03-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm so very sorry! Glad they didn't take much and that you're all ok.

Indianamom2
11-03-2013, 11:00 PM
I'm so sorry. Our house hasn't been broken into, but my van was (while in the attached garage). It's a horribly scary thing to experience, especially alone and with kids around. Definitely change all bank and credit card info. Even though my bank card was still in the van (long story, not normally there) they still managed to use the information and mess stuff up. It's a pain in the neck, but better than finding out after the fact (as we did). My string of bad luck was this time last year....so I know sort of how you feel.:hug:

StantonHyde
11-04-2013, 01:18 AM
ugh, it sucks. I was there this February. Sorry. Fingerprint powder totally sucks to clean up!!! Wishing peaceful vibes upon you..

MamaMolly
11-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Late to this, but wanted to add my hugs. We were robbed once, and yes, fingerprint powder is the pits. I'm so sorry you are having to deal with it!

maestramommy
11-04-2013, 10:09 PM
:hug: I'm so sorry, that really sucks! My house was broken into when I was in college (but living at home). It takes a long time to get over the rage of being violated. I'm so glad they didn't hurt your dog! Clearly they wanted drugs and money for drugs, quick and easy.

citymama
11-04-2013, 11:31 PM
How very scary. Sending p&pt your way for things to calm down and the burglars to be caught. I'm glad you didn't lose anything of value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

trales
11-05-2013, 08:24 AM
I am feeling better everyday. The new front door has been in since saturday and has almost all the coats of paint on it. The locks were changed last night, and the first of 3 security companies come tonight to give quotes and the sales pitch. All in all, things are getting back to normal and DD is feeling more confident in her home. The dog on the other hand is a big pile of scaredy fluff. But . . . she is a female large breed dog and they tend to become loving piles of marshmellow fluff as they get older.

boogiemom
11-05-2013, 01:07 PM
We have feared such a situation and recently had this door: http://www.lowes.com/pd_262510-53-34917032_0__?productId=3041453&Ntt=secure+elegance&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsecure%2Belegance&facetInfo=

installed. Looks great and is so secure. Feels like no other storm door I've ever seen. Be sure and watch the demo. My hubby is considering having these installed on the two doors coming in from our back porch as well.

So sorry this happened to your family. I hope you can find some peace of mind.

trales
11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
We totally just bought that door, someone is coming to install it this week. We saw it when we bought the new front door and decided to go for it. I am glad you like it.

boogiemom
11-05-2013, 02:31 PM
:-) I really think you will be happy with it. It gives me tremendous peace of mind. It feels so incredibly solid.

We also have Vivint as our alarm company, FYI. Been happy with that too. :-)

Mopey
11-05-2013, 03:38 PM
I am so sorry OP, I can only imagine the feeling. P & PT that things continue to get better and here's hoping your dad's mojo was only a "visiting" mojo, not a "live there" mojo :grouphug:

Binkandabee
11-05-2013, 03:48 PM
I am so sorry! My mom was broken into recently and it really does feel like such a violation. In her case, the intruder(s) didn't make off with a thing, but there were truck tire marks left right in front of their back door, so the intruder(s) were ready to wipe them out. They busted the door in and got inside the house), but were surprised by the attack westie and the alarm system, so they bailed. She was pretty shaken by it and even though nothing was missing, the feeling that someone not welcome was inside the house bothered her for a long time.

Twoboos
11-06-2013, 09:55 AM
Late to this but glad you and your doggie are OK!

I hoe you continue to feel better and safe again in your home.

Nooknookmom
11-06-2013, 10:47 AM

Me too!! I think my German Shep would protect his space but he is TERRIFIED of noise (i dropped a plate by him as a puppy) and if they yelled at him, he'd freak out :(

Also glad your family wasn't home when they broke in.

So sorry and what a mess to deal with!