PDA

View Full Version : The holiday season is approaching....

WitMom
11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Let the ridiculous family demands and interactions begin. Grrrr.

tabegle
11-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Yes. It has started. Blarg! I really just want to fast forward to January.

hellokitty
11-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Yes, it's already started here too. Blah!

elizabethkott
11-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Yeah... It's crazy town up in here. Oy.

Twoboos
11-04-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm there too. We're going to visit MIL for for a week and she pretty much told us we're only allowed to be with her. No other plans, can't visit any of DH's friends or do our own thing once in a while. She wants to see her granddaughters. So there.

Good times. :6: :54:

BabyBearsMom
11-04-2013, 11:40 AM
I'm there too. We're going to visit MIL for for a week and she pretty much told us we're only allowed to be with her. No other plans, can't visit any of DH's friends or do our own thing once in a while. She wants to see her granddaughters. So there.

Good times. :6: :54:

I think it sounds like Grandma wants to babysit since she wants to see her granddaughters so much and you should have a few date nights :)

Ms B
11-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Here too.

My parents announced last night that they think that they want to come for Thanksgiving. They are too cheap to fly, so in their mind driving 22 hours (two days each way the way that they do it) makes SOOOOO much more sense.

This means that they probably will want to stay for four or five nights to justify the drive. This goes way beyond my 72 hour tolerance level for my mother.

Add in the fact that my ILs also will be in the house at the same time . . . and it will be Hanukkah . . . and my mother's (still) undiagnosed back/hip/circulation problem will prevent her from doing much walking (or even helping with The Biscuit) and it becomes clear that I am going to be in need of serious quantities of adult beverages for the entire holiday weekend.

On the bright side, I still have the extra baby gate that we used last year to keep MIL out of the kitchen while we were cooking. It should work again this year, times two!

Ceepa
11-04-2013, 12:32 PM
ILs are already making the push for visits on Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Um, no.

Twoboos
11-04-2013, 12:42 PM
ILs are already making the push for visits on Thanksgiving AND Christmas. Um, no.

Yup I'm there too, DH has suggested - out loud to her without first consulting me - that MIL come here for Christmas. Greeeaaat.

arivecchi
11-04-2013, 12:45 PM
My issue is we always have to go to the ILs which drives me crazy as I don't want to spend the holidays driving all over creation and then in a cramped uncomfortable messy house. I was secretly thrilled last year when DS1 had strep and scarlet fever and we had to stay home. Bwahahahaha.

DualvansMommy
11-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Family drama started last week and again last night....apparently, where we're spending Xmas day is up in the air, when i thought it's long established after spending the day with our wonderful cousins as their kiddos are close in age to my DS. Worked out really well too! all the grandparents (both sides) were even invited too!

now one set of grandparents want to spend the day in her own home instead.....leaving rest of us what? uuugh.

123LuckyMom
11-04-2013, 01:25 PM
On the bright side, I still have the extra baby gate that we used last year to keep MIL out of the kitchen while we were cooking. It should work again this year, times two!
Oh, I remember this!!! Good luck! I'm sending mojo to all the BBBers coping with family stress. May the mojo enable you to keep your sanity and not throttle anybody in real life (though fantasy throttling is always allowed)! ;) please send some my way, too!

niccig
11-04-2013, 01:26 PM

Same here. MIL asked DH about the holidays. Thanksgiving is out as with DS and I in school, we're not getting a red eye flight Wednesday before Thanksgiving. She pushed for Christmas which I understand as SIL and her family is flying in and it's last Christmas in their current home as downsizing in the Spring, but DH can't get time off at his new job. No travel for us and I'm secretly happy as need some quiet down time just us.

lovin2shop
11-04-2013, 02:14 PM
My Mom volunteered our house for a family reunion over Thanksgiving. Lot's of Aunts and Uncles coming in at different times, over an EIGHT day period all staying at my house. What??? Uhm, we have to work, and only have Thursday through Sunday off.

Still-in-Shock
11-04-2013, 03:56 PM
MY BIL always wants to stay at a beach house for Thanksgiving. I told DH that I will not participate under any circumstances now that we have Smiling Boy. DH and his brothers think that this is a great way to get away from it all, and overlook that we have to bring all our food (and on TG, that means the turkey and everything that goes with it!) and when it's time to leave, we have to clean this place! No, not again. I don't like cooking in a kitchen when I don't know where anything is, where I can't use my favorite utensils, where I can't just run to the store to get last minute things, and I certainly don't want to have to deal with all this, and an infant, and that infant's first Chanukah!

I told DH that going away means that someone else cleans. Period!

Lovin2shop, I think I would schedule an emergency that week so they would have to move the reunion!

OP, thanks for the chance to vent!!!!

lizzywednesday
11-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Ugh, this thread reminds me that I still have to coordinate photos with my brother, SIL, sister, and her boyfriend ... and our 5 children under the age of 5 that we've traditionally done on Black Friday every year since the bigger ones were born.

And my sister & her boyfriend are still homeless (and irresponsible.)

Seitvonzu
11-04-2013, 10:34 PM
this is further complicated by the fact that DD is christmastime baby... yuckola. this is the off year with my family (they don't come and we don't go...it's my brother's year), so instead my mom is coming for my daughter's dance show. but so are the ILs. that is going to be one HOT MESS. add in the fact that i'm going to be a chicken with my head cut off....well, its' going to be crazy. and everyone is staying with us. yes. mess.

everyone has been warned that i will not be cooking or providing entertainment and that DD will be primarily at rehearsals or IN THE SHOW. this meant that i had to do the hard job of telling everyone that NO that will NOT be the weekend that ils fake celebrate DD's birthday/christmas. (we do this every year either at the end of november or beginning of december...) instead, they will be coming for CHRISTMAS and for DD's birthday....before it really, so they will be here nearly a week. i justified this because i thought DD and i would then go see my family at my brothers...but that didn't work out.

i'm already LOSING MY MIND. the only way i'm getting through the next 2 months is by having thanksgiving at my best friends (and not having to negotiate that holiday except to help her ;)), having DD's birthday party at a venue (and not having to do pretty much anything, it's pottery so even the favor is done), and by drinking more than i should :(

Mopey
11-04-2013, 11:07 PM
I'm going to chime in and bitch as well! I envy all of you who have to travel far because all my family, ILs and their ILs are right here and everyone expects to be seen at all moments. And we do not all worship each other. And all this after cooking for weeks straight (as it is my busiest time of year, not counting all the other crazy weeks like the last one where I barely slept) for all my clients.

It's kind of sad but between work and family pressure (how did I end up in the middle negotiating??? Call someone who's not up to her eyeballs in apples and flour bitches!!!!) I am hardly ever excited to actually celebrate the holidays anymore. By the Thanksgiving meal I just want to sleep in and have soup. And my birthday is December 21st :)

I dream of the day my family can wake up in their own house AND STAY THERE. I dream of lounging in our Christmas pajamas, making calls to those we love and enjoying the day. Not rushing from one house to another with a certain relative barking that I open my presents too slowly. Be glad I don't go snooping for them anymore!!!!!!!!!!

Whew. Who knew I was already so agitato?!! :bag

ETA: please read "bitches" like Joey on Friends. I do worship my women, just not the anal retentive holiday stressballs they become :D

MamaMolly
11-05-2013, 09:45 AM
:bag I already made coquito (Puerto Rican holiday drink ~with rum~ similar to eggnog) and it is chilling in my fridge now. Plan ahead ladies. Plan ahead.

fivi2
11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Dear mother,

I gave you the dates you may stay at my house. I added more than I always said would be my limit because you chose not to come this summer. Do not call me asking for more days because of a $20 (seriously) difference in airfare. If you are in town past the date I gave you, you can stay at a hotel OR YOUR OTHER CHILD'S HOUSE WHICH IS BIGGER THAN MINE ANYWAY.

Pear
11-05-2013, 10:15 AM
We have most everyone in town as well. I finally had to set some hard rules. We do not leave our home before noon on Xmas morning. We will not visit more than one place in a day. It really cut down on the driving and crazy scheduling.

brittone2
11-05-2013, 10:28 AM
Yep, crazytown begins. We always host Thanksgiving. I asked DH the other day to find out what his brother/SIL are doing, meaning are they going to her moms or staying in town. Somehow Dh morphed that into "we can come there, we can have it here, whatever you want." Which sounds great, except that my siblings come to my house typically, so if we aren't here, they don't really have anywhere to go. The 3 that usually come are divorced/single, so our house is usually the hub, iykwim. In many ways I'd love a break from hosting, but BIL/SIL have never expressed an interest, don't seem to enjoy hosting, and it would have been nice of Dh to run it buy me first before changing our tradition.

We also have extra doses of crazy over the holidays with Dec bdays, etc. Let the games begin.

sunshine873
11-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Ahhhh, this is when it is a benefit to live on the other side of the country. :). Oh, and thank you, Dad for telling me once we had kids we'd want to be at our own house for Christmas. I thought you were crazy and we'd always travel to be with family, but no, you were right. It is wonderful to make our little family the priority...and the majority of our extended family is WAY too cheap to fly here. No family craziness for us! Which means I'll have to get on the ball early this year and get shopping/shipping done way ahead of time.

Mopey
11-05-2013, 03:19 PM
We have most everyone in town as well. I finally had to set some hard rules. We do not leave our home before noon on Xmas morning. We will not visit more than one place in a day. It really cut down on the driving and crazy scheduling.

I can see this will need to happen sometime soon as the kids all grow up. It's just tricky the years bil & sil can come with all their kids because then the ILs want us there every second. One year bil & sil didn't come my ILs left for their annual trip on Christmas Day and never bothered to tell us until dinner the night before. But now that Mopey's here (and the grandchild they are with the most) they may not do that again.....but I wouldn't mind if they did ;)

I just get sad for my mom most - since she is solo it seems she always gets the shaft and Christmas morning at her house is fast and furious to get to everyone else :( Every other house we get to lounge but hers is a rush. I cannot wait until that changes!!

I don't like eggnog, but I have no trouble drinking my dad's rum. Neat, rocks, lime, no matter :54:

Binkandabee
11-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Ah yes...the joy! My plan is to stock up on lots of alcohol and invite both my family and DH's family to our house. You don't like alcohol....don't drink it or stay home. Issues with the fact that SIL is a married lesbian...stay home. Issues with the fact that ILS are tea-totalling bible thumpers....stay home. I am so over pussy footing around trying to make everyone happy only to have nobody happy at the end of the day. Big party, my house, lots of alcohol. Come or not...your choice. My family's issues aren't my own and after 36 years, I'm done.

brittone2
11-05-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, we were near family our first year with a child, then our 2nd year with kids we traveled long distance (we had moved). Never again! Never, ever, ever if we can at all avoid it. We open our doors, welcome anyone on both sides of the family, but we don't travel on Christmas day.

DH's dad died this past year, however, and I do need to figure out how MIL is spending Christmas day this year. BIL/SIL live really close to MIL, so if she is going to hang with them, great. Otherwise we need a plan B, understandably.

But yes, after the first 1-2 years, we learned to stay. home. We take everyone out to a lovely brunch a few days prior to Christmas, open gifts back at our house, and that's typically our celebration with Dh's side unless they want to drive down Christmas day (hr long drive roughly)

There is still plenty of Christmas crazy, however.

kdeunc
11-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Ah yes...the joy! My plan is to stock up on lots of alcohol and invite both my family and DH's family to our house. You don't like alcohol....don't drink it or stay home. Issues with the fact that SIL is a married lesbian...stay home. Issues with the fact that ILS are tea-totalling bible thumpers....stay home. I am so over pussy footing around trying to make everyone happy only to have nobody happy at the end of the day. Big party, my house, lots of alcohol. Come or not...your choice. My family's issues aren't my own and after 36 years, I'm done.

Can I get an "amen"! Cheers!:54:

alexsmommy
11-05-2013, 11:30 PM
I'm a therapist. As of Nov 1, I have a wait list. So does my colleague. We were laughing and walking around singing "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas." I cannot tell you how many "Please, please, please fit me in before I hurt these people" calls from former clients I will get between now and Jan 1. Ah, the busy season.
Deep breaths ladies, deep breaths!

crl
11-05-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm feeling a bit sad because this year my mom is not feeling well enough to have us visit. She is still on oxygen from her whole medical ordeal over the summer (rare blood disorder that had her in the hospital for over two months, two and half weeks of that in ICU on a vent; followed by a blood clot in the lung and return trip to the hospital and ICU). We have nearly always travelled for Christmas so I am trying to figure out what our Christmas at home should look like.

I hope everyone has peaceful and happy holidays!

Catherine

StantonHyde
11-06-2013, 12:07 AM
alexsmommy--I was just going to post--this is a GREAT season for retailers--and therapists. They will cure cancer some day. They will not cure family craziness. Job Security.

cuca_
11-06-2013, 12:20 AM
:bag I already made coquito (Puerto Rican holiday drink ~with rum~ similar to eggnog) and it is chilling in my fridge now. Plan ahead ladies. Plan ahead.

I love coquito!! I may need to make some of that.

Kestrel
11-06-2013, 02:01 AM
I need to chime in, too.

My lovely DH invited his cousin to stay at our home for a _week_, without asking me. The inlaws are coming, too, but thankfully have their own house. But here's the biggie... he told them all I'm making thanksgiving dinner at our house! Without consulting me! Never mind the fact that I might want to see some of my family on that day!

Um, DH, you do realize I'm WORKING ten hours on thanksgiving, and twelve the day after and twelve the day before... How, exactly, do you expect me to pull that off??????????

trales
11-06-2013, 08:33 AM
The crazy has come out of the closet big time. I will be 7 months at TG and 8 months at Christmas, a little drink won't hurt anyone right? Better than me actually physically hurting someone (that means you mom).

My mom freaked out that we were driving for TG, which we wanted to do, and without asking bought us all airfare at $680 per person. Are you kidding me. She was mad that I could not leave earlier, you are a professor, just cancel your damn class, it's not life or death. Umm, nope it does not work that way, it is my job, I like my job and I want to keep my job.

And the christmas present wars for DD have started, I am going to kill them all.

truly scrumptious
11-06-2013, 09:59 AM
My lovely DH invited his cousin to stay at our home for a _week_, without asking me. The inlaws are coming, too, but thankfully have their own house. But here's the biggie... he told them all I'm making thanksgiving dinner at our house! Without consulting me! Never mind the fact that I might want to see some of my family on that day!

In a situation like this, I'd tell him that my idea of "making" Thanksgiving dinner will be "making room" for the caterer he is so generously going to hire!

Neatfreak
11-06-2013, 10:12 AM
Can I lament that my mom doesn't want to spend Christmas with us? We just moved to less than three hours away (from living on the other side of the planet), and we're looking forward to moving into our new house next month and cooking something fantastic on Dec 25th, and my mom doesn't want to come see us and her only grandkids.

Apparently, because of the cat. Which my sister could take care of. Because she lives with my mom.

brittone2
11-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Word. This sounds all too familiar, except we have different issues to navigate. It isn't fun!

Ms B
11-06-2013, 02:15 PM

Recipe, please! If it has dairy in it, then I may be able to get away with a beverage or three on Thanksgiving morning . . . it is a lot harder to get away with carrying around a champagne flute at 9:00 a.m.! :wink2:

Mopey
11-06-2013, 02:20 PM
. . . it is a lot harder to get away with carrying around a champagne flute at 9:00 a.m.! :wink2:

See now, that screams festive to me ;)

And yes, we have actually done this in my fam. I love having a dad in the booze business! Champagne for breakfast is great!

crl
11-06-2013, 02:22 PM
See now, that screams festive to me ;)

And yes, we have actually done this in my fam. I love having a dad in the booze business! Champagne for breakfast is great!

Add oj to the champagne and it's a mimosa. I love mimosas. Maybe dh and I need mimosa for Christmas morning. . . .

Catherine

echoesofspring
11-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Add oj to the champagne and it's a mimosa. I love mimosas. Maybe dh and I need mimosa for Christmas morning. . . .

Catherine, you definitely need to start a xmas morning mimosa tradition! Sorry to hear that your mom's not well enough to come see you.

We're paying big $ to fly across the country to spend Xmas in my parents new home, and I'm already feeling a building resentment towards my brother and I haven't even seen him yet. B/c I know he's going to sour the experience. He's 34, lives basically at home, underemployed, full of entitlement, and well, just generally unpleasant. You could say the sky is blue and he'd argue with you about it. It sucks. There is no conversation that isn't a fight. So I've resorted to ....no conversation at all, and then I feel guilty and full of shame that I don't have a better relationship with my baby brother. I think he's jealous of the attention the kids get and acting out, and seriously, what 34 year old is jealous of a 2 year old? My aunt and I had a long depressing conversation about how we love him and would love to help him get his life together, but he's so unpleasant to be around. I end up feeling guilty that I don't like being with him, and angry that interacting with him wastes so much energy. Sigh.

Mopey
11-06-2013, 03:21 PM

Catherine

ooooh, or peach juice for a bellini!! I think I have to add these to Christmas morning......

Still-in-Shock
11-06-2013, 03:56 PM
In a situation like this, I'd tell him that my idea of "making" Thanksgiving dinner will be "making room" for the caterer he is so generously going to hire!
:yeahthat: Or you can order the meal from a supermarket and he can pick it up.

Still-in-Shock
11-06-2013, 04:01 PM
duplicate post

lizzywednesday
11-06-2013, 04:44 PM

Lots of lovely variations on mimosas, too.

I like mine with a little bit of orange liqueur, like Grand Marnier or similar.

Or I could just make a pitcher of Bloody Marias ... that's a Bloody Mary variant that uses tequila instead of vodka.

Seitvonzu
11-06-2013, 08:58 PM
we DEFINITELY do mimosas on christmas morning :) even when it's the "good" parents, and even when *I* am the only person drinking them :) i sometimes do them with grapefruit juice (my favorite) or cranberry (quite festive) lovelovelove me some champagne (which sometimes i do straight up if things get bad enough and i've had too much sugar ;))

mskitty
11-07-2013, 12:57 AM
:yeahthat: Or you can order the meal from a supermarket and he can pick it up.

That was my theory of holiday cooking when I was 9 months pregnant!!!! And I usually cook everything from scratch.

brittone2
11-07-2013, 06:02 PM
we DEFINITELY do mimosas on christmas morning :) even when it's the "good" parents, and even when *I* am the only person drinking them :) i sometimes do them with grapefruit juice (my favorite) or cranberry (quite festive) lovelovelove me some champagne (which sometimes i do straight up if things get bad enough and i've had too much sugar ;))
Same. We do brunch (out) a few days before Christmas, and that's our main get together with Dh's side of the family usually. And there are mimosas or bloody marys.
On Christmas, Easter, and Mother's day at home, mimosas or some derivation are mandatory as well.

tabegle
11-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I thought by us going to the in-laws for TG, we wouldn't see them for a while. I was wrong. They are showing up after xmas for dd's bday.

We are really like a B&B to them, because they still have my kids go to daycare while they stay in my home doing whatever. My daughter came up with this great idea to ask to stay home from daycare while they are here so her and her brother can spend time with them. :rotflmao: We'll see if that actually happens.

StantonHyde
11-08-2013, 12:00 AM
ooohh--I double dog dare you to keep the kids home for a day and announce to the inlaws that the kids want a day with just them. (assuming your kids would still be in one piece and not scarred for life at the end of the day)

tabegle
11-08-2013, 10:02 AM
ooohh--I double dog dare you to keep the kids home for a day and announce to the inlaws that the kids want a day with just them. (assuming your kids would still be in one piece and not scarred for life at the end of the day)

Oh, I will be coaching her on the appropriate guilt trip phrases to use. And reminding her as the time comes closer. :icon_twisted:

Mopey
11-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I make a Bourbon Pecan Pie that is super popular with my clients if anyone wants the recipe (and a reason for the bourbon in the house!)....

But hooray! My hubby just agreed there is no way we can stay all Christmas Eve at his parents so it looks like we will be able to come home to put the Miss to bed at a decent hour (9ish) and then open the vino, turn on the tree lights and A Christmas Story and put together her Santa present!!! (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Baby-Activity-Center-Cube-5-Side-My-Busy-Farm-Wooden-Wood-Educational-Toy-/290978182193 - which I got at Costco for $34! woooooooo)

HEAVEN for me :D

WitMom
11-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Oooo I'll take a bourbon pecan pie recipe! Or a whole pie. Or a whole bottle of bourbon.

Twoboos
11-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Oooo I'll take a bourbon pecan pie recipe! Or a whole pie. Or a whole bottle of bourbon.

What she said. Any of the three. ;)

MamaMolly
11-08-2013, 06:29 PM

What she said. Any of the three. ;)

I vote for ALL three!

Coquito:
2 cans light coconut milk. Trader Joes is the best I've found.
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1-2 cups (that's one to two. Not one half ;)) rum. I prefer darker rum.
1 heaping tsp. ground cinnamon
1 scant tsp ground nutmeg

Blend or stir or shake. Chill and drink, and then REALLY chill. :applause:

Ms B
11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
I vote for ALL three!

Coquito:
1 can evaporated milk

Bless you. I will implement this the weekend before Thanksgiving . . .

Because my parents just let me know that they are flying (instead of driving).

So they will need to use one of our cars (not a big deal per se, except that they will not pick up and drop off The Biscuit, so we have to move carseats around so that they get something that we are comfortable with them driving and we have cars that he can ride in).

And they will be arriving Monday at 4:30 p.m.

Because, of course, what could be more fun than airport pickup in the middle of rush hour? :confused:

They plan to stay FIVE NIGHTS so that they "get the most out of their tickets".

Then they are leaving Saturday morning.

On a 5:30 a.m. flight.

That they somehow thought we would drive them to.

At 4:00 a.m.

Or earlier (my dad stalks planes like they are tigers or something).

That they probably booked to save $18 a piece over a flight at a more civilized hour.

Seriously? :banghead:

I let them know that we would arrange a car service to take them to the airport that morning. And the night before I will let them know that I may engage in bodily harm to them if they wake The Biscuit when leaving.

I plan to get a couple bottles of rum this weekend. Which I will be spending cleaning out our second guestroom (because we now need both if both sets of parents are coming).

I told my brother about the situation. He let me know that he is not coming in for Thanksgiving (he works freelance that week covering for other people) and he will be working 6 days that week . . . and he thinks he will have the easier week.

Pray for me. And please put up with the rants yet to occur . . .

Ms B
12-01-2013, 04:35 PM
Coquito:
1 can evaporated milk

We made this the night before Thanksgiving and I started in on it on Thursday morning at the same time as my mother started in generally. A second glass kept me calm until around noon (when we transitioned to the champagne).

Thanks for the recipe!!! I think it may become a new holiday tradition, especially if my parents start to inflict themselves on us for T-Day more regularly. They out have come out there for the holiday a grand total of three times in the twenty-plus years that I have been living outside of their house, but I fear they may try to do it more often in the future because the friends they normally spend the holiday with now have their own grandkids to go visit at holidays and nothing motivates my parents like keeping up with those particular friends.

TxCat
12-01-2013, 05:32 PM
The terse email discussions about Christmas between me, MIL and SIL have already started. Blah. Can I drink daily from now until December 26th?

Serenity now.

MamaMolly
12-01-2013, 07:32 PM
We made this the night before Thanksgiving and I started in on it on Thursday morning at the same time as my mother started in generally. A second glass kept me calm until around noon (when we transitioned to the champagne).

Thanks for the recipe!!! I think it may become a new holiday tradition, especially if my parents start to inflict themselves on us for T-Day more regularly. They out have come out there for the holiday a grand total of three times in the twenty-plus years that I have been living outside of their house, but I fear they may try to do it more often in the future because the friends they normally spend the holiday with now have their own grandkids to go visit at holidays and nothing motivates my parents like keeping up with those particular friends.

:kisscheek: my pleasure! It's kept my holiday merry.

niccig
12-01-2013, 07:33 PM
Well, 1 holiday is over. We stayed in town, had a great time on Thursdays with friends and then spent Saturday night with other friends. In conversation with friends, DH says MIL asked him if we will ever come to their house again for a holiday. DH told her he doesn't know what next year will be like and that she is always welcome to come spend it with us. He knows she never will as wants to be at home for the grandkids that leave nearby. DH said that's her choice. I'll have to remind him of this next year about August when MIL will start asking questions about holidays 2014.

Ms B
12-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Our plan is to stay home for T-day as much as possible. MIL is a terrible cook and the one T-day we spent there was terrible in so many ways. Visiting my parents involves flying plus another hour-plus drive to a mattress older than me, no meaningful heat (they keep the house at 64), and my mother's current no fat, no food, no fun cooking method.

If we stay here, we have our own bed, the food we want to eat, and enough adult beverages to take the edge off (ILs live in a dry county and my parents do not keep a meaningful supply of tolerable beverages on hand).

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

BunnyBee
12-01-2013, 08:10 PM

A little late, but I use Bakerella's pecan pie recipe. It makes three pies. I pour out two then add 2 TB bourbon to the remaining mixture. Adding 1/2 cup chocolate chips is good too. If you add the chocolate chips, it increases the volume and you need to use a deep dish crust instead of the regular one called for in the original recipe.

Ms B
12-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Can I drink daily from now until December 26th?

Yes, absolutely!!

KDsMommy
12-03-2013, 12:43 PM
I need coquito NOW!

oneplustwo
12-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I need coquito NOW!

Ahhh! Someone mentioned coquito! Must. Make! I. Need! (And I don't even have any inlaws, LOL.) Must dig out my recipe!!

ETA: This entire thread needs a like button. I can't remember when I've laughed so hard.