PDA

View Full Version : Birthday gift suggestions for 9 yo DD

WitMom
11-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I am at a loss as to what to get DD for her upcoming 9th birthday. She has a lot of interests, but I can't find just the "right" thing. She has some large American Girl items on her Christmas list, but I prefer to keep those for Christmas so they can be "communal" gifts for her and DD2 (mostly so I don't have to hear "it's not fair" from younger DD). She enjoys all arts and crafts, but doesn't really need any more supplies. She likes reading and writing stories, and also enjoys science and building projects....got a large K'nex set last year that was a hit, is going to a BrushBot racing event this weekend, publishes her own "newspaper" (to give you an idea of what she's like). She had asked for a manual typewriter, so she could be like Kit in AG, but I'm not sure she "gets" how difficult those are to actually use. I thought about going with an "experience" type gift, but I everything I come up with is something that we would probably want to do as a family. Anyone have any suggestions?

Twoboos
11-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I have also gotten the request for a real manual typewriter like Kit has, LOL.

My girls have both liked designing their own clothes at www.fashioplaytes.com . DD2 actually picked the item that had her name - spelled correctly!

I also think both my kids would like a cooking class or lesson. There are a couple of places around here that offer classes for kids, I keep forgetting to look into it. Maybe something like that as an experience?

BunnyBee
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I always wanted an old-fashioned manual typewriter, and DH got me one at a garage sale when we were poor and in grad school. :) My kids FLIPPED when they found it, and play with it frequently. My oldest DD loves writing stories on it. So if you can find one cheaply, it could be a hit!

Cool alphabet stamps for her newspapers?
A Kindle?

Binkandabee
11-04-2013, 01:04 PM
A pandora bracelet with the cake charm? My DD got one when she was 9 and she still treasures it today.

essnce629
11-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Rainbow Loom?

DS1 is 10 and every single kid, both boys and girls, in 4th and 5th grade have one. They are obsessed! I asked him if he knew anyone who didn't have one and he said no. He takes his to school every day.

captobey
11-04-2013, 02:11 PM
What about something like this? Seems great for girls how like to build and engineer....gets great reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Roominate-R2002-Deluxe/dp/B00D4M7QUI

SASM
11-04-2013, 02:15 PM
My DD would be thrilled with a fish or hamster. :)

Mermanaid
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
DD's 9th birthday is Weds and she is getting a beta fish. She's been begging.

carolinacool
11-04-2013, 02:50 PM
I love the old-school typewriter idea! I remember getting my aunt's hand-me-down when I was around 9 or 10, and I spent all summer writing stories. Of course, this would have been 1984 or 1985, long before we had a computer. I don't remember finding it terribly hard to use.

Binkandabee
11-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I love the old-school typewriter idea! I remember getting my aunt's hand-me-down when I was around 9 or 10, and I spent all summer writing stories. Of course, this would have been 1984 or 1985, long before we had a computer. I don't remember finding it terribly hard to use.

I had an old school typewriter when I was a kid as well. I LOVED that thing. I didn't care that it was hard to use and that my type was often crooked, I just loved using my typewriter.

Sweetsunshine
11-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Love the typewriter idea if you can find one. Get extra ribbon for when it runs out! Rainbow Loom is the best thing I've bought in a long long time. I planned to give it for Christmas but literally everyone around here has one. It keeps my girls entertained for hours! They watch youtube videos on how to do the different styles. Only downside is those tiny elastics are all over the house!