PDA

View Full Version : Update in #11 Anybody gone back to a traditional mattress after latex, etc.?

echoesofspring
11-04-2013, 01:22 PM
It's home improvement morning around here :)

We had a Tempurpedic for about 7 years and then last year bought a Natura. The Tempurpedic was sagging and had always been too hot for us. We loved the Natura for a while, but now it's also sagging, it's about 18 months old. It's definitely gotten squishier, b/c I remember when we first bought I initially regretted it, felt like it was too firm and it's the opposite of firm now. It's like both DH and I are sleeping in little valleys and there's this hill between us in the middle of the bed. We don't have a box spring, due to the shape of our bed frame, but we do have a piece of plywood + slats underneath, which the store said was enough when we bought it. Maybe we've caused the problem w/out having a box spring? DH is having back problems again and we're thinking about replacing it. If you've gone back to a traditional coil mattress after trying the memory foam/latex route what did you get?

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I think you totally need a better support. Does your bed frame have middle support too? Some don't but really should have something. Our Tempurpedic was sagging and we simply rotated and flipped our box spring. Voila! Back to being great! Mattresses should last much longer than you are getting so I bed your set up might be the problem.

lovin2shop
11-04-2013, 02:18 PM
We have a regular mattress with a box spring that is about the same age, and it does the same thing. I call it the mountain in the middle. Hate it, really miss our 10+ year old mattress, dust mites and all. I've heard this is common now with newer mattresses.

WatchingThemGrow
11-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Our one year old regular mattress from Sam's is doing the same thing. So were the other 2 high-end ones from Kingsdown. They've ALL gotten the hump in the middle thing within a year.

AnnieW625
11-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I couldn't get comfortable on any of the all latex models we tried at a few different stores. I did like the firmest base model Tempurpedic, but DH liked the medium to soft one so we knew there was no guarantee there. We also liked both the Simmons, and Sealy gel form mattresses we tried (we initially tried one at Costco, and then other one at a mattress store), but the Costco one wasn't slated to be back in the warehouse when we needed to buy a mattress, and there were no deals on the other brand at the mattress store. So we ended up buying this Diamond Mattress (http://www.diamondmattress.com/Diamond-Mattress/Beds/Mattress/Generations/Amor-.aspx), which is a hybrid mix of indivually wrapped coild, tallalay latex, and cool gel memory foam (in that order) from a local regional chain mattress store (we actually bought the store branded mattress called OC Mattress Del Mar Firm, but it is the one I linked above). We chose the firm model and I am glad we did because I think once we got through the initial breaking in phase (which for me lasted about 3 weeks) I am glad that we didn't get the medium non firm or the plush pillow top model I think those two would have been way too soft and we would end up with indentations. DH who had previously only slept on plush or pillow top beds (our prior all spring mattress was a pillow top that last 12 yrs.) hasn't complained about the bed at all, and so far no funny indentations or lumps.

brittone2
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
It's home improvement morning around here :)

We had a Tempurpedic for about 7 years and then last year bought a Natura. The Tempurpedic was sagging and had always been too hot for us. We loved the Natura for a while, but now it's also sagging, it's about 18 months old. It's definitely gotten squishier, b/c I remember when we first bought I initially regretted it, felt like it was too firm and it's the opposite of firm now. It's like both DH and I are sleeping in little valleys and there's this hill between us in the middle of the bed. We don't have a box spring, due to the shape of our bed frame, but we do have a piece of plywood + slats underneath, which the store said was enough when we bought it. Maybe we've caused the problem w/out having a box spring? DH is having back problems again and we're thinking about replacing it. If you've gone back to a traditional coil mattress after trying the memory foam/latex route what did you get?

We are almost up to year 8 already on our Savvy Rest natural latex. I'm still happy with it. We don't have a box spring. We have a bed with slats in the frame and a center support. It is still firm, no hump.

fedoragirl
11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
We also have a 7 year old latex mattress and have had no issues. It's survived several moves including an international move. Our bed has slats and a center beam for support but we also added plywood planks (as suggested by our mattress manufacturer) under the mattress. It still looks new and we love it.

echoesofspring
11-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Well, I called the store we purchased the Natura from and they are going to come out and do an inspection in a couple days. DH is not optimistic since everything he's read online says that the warranties are written so it's almost always impossible to get a deep enough indentation to qualify, but I figure it's worth a shot. Doesn't cost us anything except being home when they come. I been thinking today about how great the mattress was when we first got it and I'm really bummed. It's disappointing to hear about other types of mattress also doing it. I don't think it's our setup, since it was approved both by the Natura and Tempurpedic stores when we bought the mattresses. And with the T. you could feel that the foam was disintegrating, it was lumpy, etc.- the same thing has happened to our pillows we bought at the same time.

hellokitty
11-04-2013, 07:53 PM
We have wood slats and then some plywood with our temperpaedic mattress and it is doing ok. I'm wondering if it would help if you put a support UNDER your slats. I have no clue if they have something you can buy that would do that, or you would have to build your own, but if it is always sagging in the middle, no matter what mattress you have, my guess is that whatever mattress you get will have this issue, so I would attempt to fix the issue by having an extra beam or something under your bed in the middle to give the slats more support.

indigo99
11-04-2013, 08:45 PM
Pillowtops are the worst. The type of foam and padding that they use for those will compress down really quickly. A solid latex foam shouldn't compress like that so fast. We've only had our latex a couple of years, but it doesn't have any indentations.

echoesofspring
11-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Update:
The inspectors came out a couple days after my post and took measurements, photos, etc. I hadn't heard anything so I wasn't optimistic, but I received a call yesterday from the store, the woman I spoke with explained that they had been having a terrible time getting Natura to honor their warranty (said something about them going out of business, my phone was a little static-y so I didn't understand that part), but that the store would offer us a credit equal to the time remaining on the warranty. Basically we have a credit for about 85% of the original price! Woot! I was really pleased that they stood behind the purchase even though the manufacture didn't. The store is Get A Mattress btw, I know they have multiple locations. And I'm so glad I pursued a complaint even though DH and the internet told me it wasn't likely to go anywhere ;)

Not sure if we'll stay with latex or go back to coil, etc. Open to suggestions!

AnnieW625
11-20-2013, 01:11 PM
That is great news. We don't have Get A Mattress stores this far south, but that is great to know. I am very happy with our Diamond Mattress, which was made right up the freeway from me in Carson.

westwoodmom04
11-20-2013, 02:12 PM
I would definitely get a boxspring this time. Also, if you liked the temperpedic but for the temperature issue, the current generation in foam beds has addressed that. We have a comforpedic with the temperature control feature and are happy with it.