PDA

View Full Version : For you New Englanders--Building 19 is closing forever!

Sweetsunshine
11-04-2013, 04:08 PM
The company filed for bankruptcy and is planning to close by December 8th. For those who don't know, it was a chain of stores that sold salvaged goods, surplus and irregular items, etc... It was famous for being a bit messy and disorganized. And they had great ads in the Sunday paper too.

I used to love going there with my Dad when I was young. It was always so much fun to hunt for bargains. I got some great rugs there once a long time ago. Good stuff cheap!

Pepper
11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Nooo! We bought all the rugs in our house there, almost 10 years ago. Their bound-edge carpet remnants are the bomb for cheap floor covering.

Twoboos
11-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Oh Wow! This is sad, but not nearly as sad as when Spag's closed. No Bags at Spags! Go grab a box then get some soap on the ramp on the way to the paint department! :rotflmao:

Oddly, the Spag's building was bought by Bldg 19. I think they are going to demolish it for condos. :thumbsdown:

wellyes
11-04-2013, 06:33 PM
AWWW. It was a filthy place full of broken things. I'm sad though.
We did get a bunch of "just out of college & broke" rugs there. I loved those rugs.

buttercup
11-04-2013, 06:41 PM
No longer in new England, but I bought a wool rug there 12 years ago that we still use!

Blakes Mommy
11-04-2013, 09:54 PM
It wouldn't surprise me this place used to be good say 20-25 years ago (college age)....Wow am I dating myself! I went there a few times back in the day with good luck. We moved away and when we came back I went maybe once or twice and it was much "grosser" than I remembered! I think with other places like Christmas Tree shops,Ocean State Job Lots, and Big Lots...Plus all the Targets and Walmarts and various clearance sales they just couldn't keep up.

doberbrat
11-05-2013, 03:54 PM
It wouldn't surprise me this place used to be good say 20-25 years ago (college age)....Wow am I dating myself! I went there a few times back in the day with good luck. We moved away and when we came back I went maybe once or twice and it was much "grosser" than I remembered! I think with other places like Christmas Tree shops,Ocean State Job Lots, and Big Lots...Plus all the Targets and Walmarts and various clearance sales they just couldn't keep up.

Totally agree! I used to shop there quite a bit 'back in the day' they had good stuff cheap just like the slogan. It was the place to buy rugs, fabric to make dog things, basic tools etc. But in the past 5 years, its just gotten to be gross. I've gone a few times to find ripped open bags of dog food, diapers, spilled cosmetics that dont get cleaned up etc.

I'm sad to see it go b/c it was such an institution in college - we used to treat it like a field trip - but I think its time has past. :(

Sweetsunshine
11-05-2013, 04:25 PM
My family decided to do a Yankee Swap with only items from Bldg. 19. Should be interesting. I have a month to get there and hunt for some treasures. I'm sure my brother will find the ugliest thing for $10 in the entire store.