PDA

View Full Version : To buy a Kindle or Tablet (for 5 and 3 yo) or not? For trip...

MoeJoe
11-04-2013, 05:35 PM
I am totally not in to buying high end toys for my kids. Saying that, though, I am really tempted to buy a tablet for my kids for our upcoming trip that is a 5.5 hour flight... I will be bringing all the busy work paraphernalia, but I keep thinking how much easier it would be with a tablet. I can have all our books on it without shlepping the heavy real versions, I can have just shows that I like my kids to watch, not depend on the airline, I can have games for them to play... etc.

They have never seen or played with a tablet before or any sort of video game. My 5 yo has played occasionally on the computer, but really not often. I don't let them watch often either, only for special occasions.

Plus, I don't really need another electronic device in the house... I have a PC desktop and a laptop.

What should I do? Amazon is having a sale today on Kindles, so I am really tempted! Is it worth the expense/investment? Can I resell it afterwards if I don't want it?

Any other advice?

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Do it. They are great for traveling.

Piglet
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Obviously flights were survivable before electronic gizmos, LOL, so it is not a critical purchase. I have done both and while I do like the convenience of having a tablet or otherwise, I would not buy it solely for the kids to use. We have a family iPad and it is indispensable on trips, both on the plane and off. We all use it as a computer when we are at our destination. DH and I check the emails and research activities from the hotel room, the kids play games while we wait around, etc. I think a dedicated tablet for the kids is excessive if you have no need for it beyond this trip. That having been said, we have laptops and computers at home and yet the iPad gets far more use (I use it for recipes when I cook, watch videos on it while I am washing dishes, play games during my train ride to and from work, etc.).

ETA: WTH?? I didn't link my post to any of the links that appeared. They all showed up when I hit post!?

ourbabygirl
11-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I posted in your other thread about what to bring, but our iPad has been really awesome over the years. DH bought it, or I probably wouldn't have bought one (he's more into gadgets & I'm too cheap :loveeyes:), but it really has been nice to have for traveling. We only take about a (3.5 hr) flight a year, and a long-ish (4.5 hr) car ride, but it's been great to load it up with some shows that they watch at home (in the past it's been Sesame Street, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, & Dora... we might add in Curious George, Clifford, or something similar now). We also have a few apps that they really like (a drawing/ painting one and a couple others), and some books (like Sandra Boynton favorites).
We actually keep it tucked away in a kitchen cabinet or DH's office, otherwise they would fight over it and would probably want to be on it all the time. So I think it's worth it (and would recommend getting an Otterbox case for it in case it gets dropped)!

crl
11-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Travel with ds got so much easier when he had a iPod touch. Now he has an iPad and dd uses my old iPad when traveling. I think something that shows movies and has games is very very awesome for travel.

Catherine

AngB
11-04-2013, 06:37 PM
We have one, we bought it when we drove from MO to Fla and back for our then almost 2 year old, mostly. I try to save it for a 'last resort' but we use it a lot. (Currently on a trip with DH, ds1 is watching SuperWhy on Netflix on the tablet after we've spent most of the day at the zoo and I'm too exhausted to deal with him trying to trash everything. We will go out to dinner in a bit and bring it, first we give him crayons and talk, then cars/books/whatever, then the tablet usually when DS1 is done eating or not eating and DH and I would still like to eat. It is nice to be able to eat without having DS1 trying to crawl under the table or run around or whatever, but we try to use it after doing other things.)

MoeJoe
11-04-2013, 10:14 PM
I realize I didn't get too many replies yet, but I have a further question: Is it worth it to buy 2 off-brand tablets for each kid so they will not fight over one (if we do buy it)? I saw on ebay some off-brand from India costing $30 each free shipping... Sounds crazy cheap, so not expecting too much from it, but is it worth it for each kid to have their "own" tablet to play around and do whatever they want with? To an extent of course! Or will it give us and them too much aggravation?

I just am hesitant to spend so much on a Kindle Fire when I really don't need it otherwise. And I can just imagine the arguing whose turn it is or she can see more than me etc...

Oh, and as an FYI we do go on road trips to my home town at least 2-3 times a year- a 8-9 hour drive. Usually they watch dvd after dvd or listen to music.

JElaineB
11-04-2013, 11:09 PM
I'd say get the Kindle Fire. They are really user friendly for kids and easy to get apps, etc. Unless you had time to research the off-brand I imagine they wouldn't be quite so user-friendly.

MoeJoe
11-04-2013, 11:19 PM
I'd say get the Kindle Fire. They are really user friendly for kids and easy to get apps, etc. Unless you had time to research the off-brand I imagine they wouldn't be quite so user-friendly.

The off-brand doesn't even SAY a name to research! But, it does say it is geared for kids specifically. It wasn't this particular listing (I can't find the other one right now) but, similar to this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Childrens-7-Android-4-0-4GB-Tablet-PC-Bundle-w-FREE-Case-and-Ear-Phones-/181253624351?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2a338ed21f

SASM
11-04-2013, 11:22 PM
I realize I didn't get too many replies yet, but I have a further question: Is it worth it to buy 2 off-brand tablets for each kid so they will not fight over one (if we do buy it)? I saw on ebay some off-brand from India costing $30 each free shipping... Sounds crazy cheap, so not expecting too much from it, but is it worth it for each kid to have their "own" tablet to play around and do whatever they want with? To an extent of course! Or will it give us and them too much aggravation?

I just am hesitant to spend so much on a Kindle Fire when I really don't need it otherwise. And I can just imagine the arguing whose turn it is or she can see more than me etc...

Oh, and as an FYI we do go on road trips to my home town at least 2-3 times a year- a 8-9 hour drive. Usually they watch dvd after dvd or listen to music.

Avoid the cheap tablets. Off the top of my head, if you don't want a Kindle Fire, you would want to buy a tablet that supports Google Play, has a good battery life, good resolution screen, and a fast processor...a compromise on any of those things for a no-name tablet would just cause more headaches. If you can get a good deal on a refurbished Kindle Fire or Nexus 7, either would be great. Kindle especially if you already have Amazon Prime. Check Best Buys for open box deals. Good luck!! I don't think you will regret the decision if you do buy one. Just limit the usage to special occasions. :)

ETA: Don't buy two. Having one will teach them to share and take turns...sooo important especially at their ages. Plus they are still at the phase where they like the same shows...bonus! ;)

SnuggleBuggles
11-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Just get one. Don't buy a cheap, off brand one. I wouldn't trust it at all...even the Kindle Fire has had quality control issues but at least it's sold by a real vendor that you can deal with.

TwinFoxes
11-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Just get one. Don't buy a cheap, off brand one. I wouldn't trust it at all...even the Kindle Fire has had quality control issues but at least it's sold by a real vendor that you can deal with.

:yeahthat: I think it would be a big, frustrating mistake to buy a no name brand. Nothing like crashing apps to make your trip fun...not. I actually voted "other". I don't think they're necessary, especially if you feel strongly about screen time. But you couldn't pay me to take a trip without our iPads for the girls!!

MoeJoe
11-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks for all the opinions! Now I'm just going to be on the lookout for a good price on a Kindle or other name brand tablet- since I'm not really that particular. Hopefully with the holiday season in full swing, it won't be a problem!

BabyBearsMom
11-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I would definitely get an iPad Mini for your needs. My DH is a big techie so we have had an iPad since the first generation and I love it. Peole have said to me "People were just fine before iPads! You don't need one for a flight" to which my response is "People also lived many millenia without washing machines, dryers, refrigeration, dishwashers, vacuum cleaners, etc."

MoeJoe
11-05-2013, 05:48 PM
I would definitely get an iPad Mini for your needs.

Thanks, for the suggestion, but it is a bit above my budget... ;-)

mackmama
11-05-2013, 06:47 PM
DC loves our iPad, and it's been invaluable on our many long trips (plane and car). *However* - be conscious of the can of worms that you want to open (or something like that lol) - and make sure they know it won't be available all the time or on demand. ;)

MoeJoe
11-05-2013, 07:38 PM
DC loves our iPad, and it's been invaluable on our many long trips (plane and car). *However* - be conscious of the can of worms that you want to open (or something like that lol) - and make sure they know it won't be available all the time or on demand. ;)

Thanks, that's a good point. We don't "plan" on letting them use it other than for travel and I think I can stick to that. Now if there is tons of screaming and whining... that I can not guarantee!

AngB
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
A few years ago I got really excited at a deal on a tablet from Big Lots that was an off brand. (Can't remember the name now but they still make them.) It was like $70. It was a big waste of money, it was too slow to access the internet and the Android version it ran off of was too outdated to get really any of the games we wanted. (Not even Angry Birds..)

I also vote to just get one. We have been happy with our Samsung tablet- we use it for Netflix, surfing, and have some games on it.

KrisM
11-05-2013, 08:08 PM
We have a Samsung tablet. It's DH's. We've taken it on our 15 car trips, but it doesn't get used in the car. It does get used once we are there. Kids seem to be fine with books, DVDs, Leapster or DS, etc. My youngest is 5 now, but when we travelled when they were all younger than 5, we didn't even do DVDs. We just brought other little things to occupy them. I don't think I'd buy a tablet just for travel.

Jen841
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Bought my son a used Kindle...great buy!

jacksmomtobe
11-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I voted no for this reason because once your kids have exposure to this type of device you may have opened Pandora's box. Otherwise the devices are great in this situation. As someone dealing with on a regular basis of being asked to use our IPad,TV etc I long for the days prior to my kids being exposed to them.

MoeJoe
11-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice! I ended up buying a Leappad2 Explorer from Target price matching Walmart's deal on Sunday. I hope it does the trick without causing too many problems! ;)