PDA

View Full Version : Any fellow sardine lovers?

Zukini
11-05-2013, 12:18 AM
Have the late night munchies and just polished off some sardines and crackers with a cup of green tea... DH hates them but since he is traveling for work, I can indulge in the morning and in the evening! Who else likes sardines? What brands are you loyal to? And how do you fix them? I'm curious. It's like the best little snack and so much yummier than a fish oil pill :applause:

sweetsue98
11-05-2013, 12:30 AM
I've had sardines on pizza once and it was surprisingly good....what I remember was they were salty and that probably why I liked them!

TwinFoxes
11-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Yep, I love sardines and crackers. DDs hate it. When I eat them.

I've had sardines on pizza once and it was surprisingly good....what I remember was they were salty and that probably why I liked them!

Do you mean anchovies? Love those too!

bigsis
11-05-2013, 12:37 AM
I loooooooooove sardines! :) I was raised on the ones in tomato sauce. I put a little bit of hot sauce, crush it and put on a slice of white bread. I'm Asian and I was mostly raised with eating it with rice as well. I might squeeze a slice of lemon, add some soy sauce on a bed of hot, steamed rice. I have it with the kids when DH is not around. My kids love it too. My DH---not so much! I also bring it for work for an easy lunch.

Zukini
11-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Anchovies are yummy on pizza too!! I get anchovy paste in the tube, and use it in certain recipes to add that umami flavor.

rin
11-05-2013, 12:42 AM
Me! DH also thinks they're revolting, and makes grumpy comments about the smell. I also don't eat them unless he's out of town. I like them on buttered bread with a little mustard and some thin slices of onion. Or with capers! Mmmm.

I'm guessing those might have been anchovies? I do love anchovies too!

Zukini
11-05-2013, 12:49 AM
I prepare mine with a splash of lemon juice, some diced (raw) onion, lots of fresh black pepper and a little salt to taste. I eat it with crackers or buttered toast, and a slice of avocado if I have available. It sounds soooo good with the hot steamed rice, I may have to try that tomorrow!

essnce629
11-05-2013, 12:56 AM
I don't like them, but I'm picky! DS1 likes them. He just eats them plain (the smoked TJ's ones) on crackers. He eats them for lunch at school or after school for a snack. I'm glad he's not picky like me! He loves all seafood. He likes the smoked oysters in a can as well.

sntm
11-05-2013, 01:05 AM
In an amazing coincidence, I had them for lunch today. A tin packed on oil, with Neufchâtel cheese in rye crackers. Yum

MMMommy
11-05-2013, 01:29 AM
I like sardines and crackers too! Not sure what brand, but I got some recently from Costco.

MontrealMum
11-05-2013, 02:10 AM
Yep, I love sardines and crackers. DDs hate it. When I eat them.

Do you mean anchovies? Love those too!

Yes, same here!

There's a restaurant here that does a huge Caesar salad with anchovies, fresh, grated parmesan, and a large wafer style cracker. Yum!!!!

Twinfoxes, I was getting little worried after that pumpkin thread, but I feel better now :)

I love sardines on crackers or a nice dark rye. I'm not even sure what brand I buy. I just now checked because I thought I had a tin stashed away for a night DH works late and it's gone!!! DH must have "disposed" of it :(

niccig
11-05-2013, 02:29 AM
On toast. In Australia you can buy them packed in a tomato sauce rather than oil or water. Super yummy. Neither DS nor DH are fans, so I get them all to myself, alone with my Heinz baked beans!

eagle
11-05-2013, 03:53 AM
i recently had gestational diabetes and the easiest no thought breakfast that i had was a small bowl of oatmeal and 1/2 to 1 full tin of king oscar brand sardines in olive oil. kept blood sugars low, filled me up, gave me a dose of fiber AND tastes good.

my other stand by breakfast was matzo brie.

i also particularly like king oscar olive oil sardines with soupy rice.

i have tried other brands of sardines, but for convenience, i really like king oscar. there might have been other brands i like, but usually i have a hard time finding them again. i like king oscar also because they dont taste meaty (like tuna) and because the bones are almost NEVER hard or discernible. i think its a matter of the size of the fish, so its not necessarily a brand thing but certain brands consistently use larger sardines.

king oscar kippers + (oatmeal or soupy rice) is another favorite. kippers have a pleasant smoky & salty flavor.

my toddler likes a bite or two, then tires of fish (more for me), and my husband despises sardines and kippers.

buttercup
11-05-2013, 04:54 AM
Yes! Always packed in oil though (if tinned),with a splash of lemon or lime.

anonomom
11-05-2013, 10:56 AM
I'm glad to see this thread -- I've never eaten a sardine (I have issues with eating skin/bones), but DD has been asking me to buy them so she can try them. This is a dumb question, but how "fishy" are they? Is the taste similar to canned tuna, or closer to anchovies? And should I just spread them on crackers/toast for DD"s first taste? Or is there a good introductory recipe?

ZeeBaby
11-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Sardines would be closer to anchovies then tuna.

I eat sardines. We cook them all kinds of way and always yummy. Try to avoid it since so salty but good.

brittone2
11-05-2013, 11:25 AM
We like them too. The kids go in phases with them, but will eat them from time to time.

When I was pg I tried to eat them periodically, but the fishy aspect was less than appealing. I would mash them with wholly guacamole, which minimized the fishiness.

TwinFoxes
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Twinfoxes, I was getting little worried after that pumpkin thread, but I feel better now :)

I'm glad I restored your faith. :)

I like strong flavors in general, there's just something about pumpkin...

SASM
11-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Another sardine lover here! I just buy the olive oil-packed bundle from Costco. I eat them plain out of the can. Sometimes I add some Red Hot or mustard but usually just plain. My kids also like them but, sadly, will not eat them at school bc their classmates refuse to sit next to them. :( I think it's sooo cool that they eat them! :)

eagle
11-05-2013, 12:02 PM
I'm glad to see this thread -- I've never eaten a sardine (I have issues with eating skin/bones), but DD has been asking me to buy them so she can try them. This is a dumb question, but how "fishy" are they? Is the taste similar to canned tuna, or closer to anchovies? And should I just spread them on crackers/toast for DD"s first taste? Or is there a good introductory recipe?

i know i already had my say, but i strongly urge you to buy a tin of king oscar if you or your dd hasnt had them before. i dont like tuna (unless its raw) and anchovies have their place, but truly neither are anything like a good tinned sardine and you should give yourselfs half a chance and go for king oscar for the first try. im sure your daughter might really like it if you bought that brand. most groceries carry it. good luck!

ijopint
11-05-2013, 12:43 PM
Yep, I love sardines too!
I usually buy the one with tomato sauce. I Cook it with pasta with capers , red onion and green peppers (as a subs for Anchovies).
Sometimes if I have a rice noodles ,i saute it with ginger, garlic ,onion and any vegetables and mix it with the rice noodles.
Yummy !!

trentsmom
11-05-2013, 01:06 PM
I like sardines, but I haven't eaten them in years. The only way I knew to eat them was with sour cream on a cracker, but PPs have given some great ideas! My boys like seafood, so I ought to get some sardines and see if they like them. I'll have to put King Oscar on my shopping list and also look for the smoked ones from TJs. And thanks to whoever reminded me that they're full of fish oil. Guess they're good for me, too!

schrocat
11-05-2013, 01:21 PM
I love sardines but I'm picky about the ones I eat. I like the ones from Costco and TJs. I also like the tomato packed Ayam brand ones that you can find at 99 Ranch.

BunnyBee
11-05-2013, 01:26 PM
Costco carries some too.

This Alton Brown sandwich is yummy:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/430851

zukeypur
11-05-2013, 01:32 PM
I've never tried them. Do the taste like anchovies?

JElaineB
11-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I bought a can of King Oscar ones in olive oil recently but I have been afraid to try them. I think I will after reading this thread. Can anyone comment on the skinless/boneless vs. whole sardines issue? I didn't buy the ones from Costco because they are boneless (and I think skinless) and I have read one of the benefits to eating the whole ones is that the bones have a lot of calcium. I don't take calcium supplements, but I could use another dietary source of calcium.

eagle
11-05-2013, 03:57 PM
I bought a can of King Oscar ones in olive oil recently but I have been afraid to try them. I think I will after reading this thread. Can anyone comment on the skinless/boneless vs. whole sardines issue? I didn't buy the ones from Costco because they are boneless (and I think skinless) and I have read one of the benefits to eating the whole ones is that the bones have a lot of calcium. I don't take calcium supplements, but I could use another dietary source of calcium.the king oscar ones have the skin and bones but the reason why i love this brand is bc i dont taste the bones. im not a baby about it with other brands and if i feel a slight "crunch" im okay with it, but i really prefer not to have any bony texture at all. open a tin. i hope you will be pleasantly surprised how good they are! (but im partial to them. still theyre good!)

babyonway
11-05-2013, 03:58 PM
Costco carries some too.

I LOVE sardines and DD does too which is awesome. Just a bit of a PSA from me though, if you eat sardines you should definately get them with the bone because the bones have all the calcium. The ones at Costco are boneless so the calcium content is VERY small.

As revolting as eating bones sounds you really can't tell I promise :)

MMMommy
11-05-2013, 04:05 PM
This thread is making me want to open a can and have some for lunch!