PDA

View Full Version : How to keep toddler boy warm?

basil
11-05-2013, 10:27 AM
DS is 27 months and tall and skinny. His 18-24 months pants fit better around the waist but are too short, and 2Ts are huge in the waist but long enough. Therefore I feel like either his ankles or his belly is always hanging out! I put him in XXL onesie undershirt still to combat this but I don't think I'll make it through the winter with these, plus if he starts potty training that will be a no go.

Also he seems to get cold at night despite a fleece footed sleeper and a fleece sleepsack. He won't keep blankets on. Our heat is set to 72 but his room runs a little colder, but probably 69-70.

He has been complaining a lot lately about being cold. He also refuses to wear hats/hoods, even outside, even when it's <40 degrees. I feel like he's going to catch his death this winter!

Any suggestions?

lizzywednesday
11-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Lightweight layers. Lots and lots of layers. Say a close-fitting undershirt, then a long-sleeved tee, topped with a fleece 1/4-zip pullover for shirts, maybe size up in the tee so you can tuck the shirt into his trousers, or size up the fleece so it covers more belly. Long socks; we like baby SmartWool brand for bitterly cold days, but long cotton socks (OshKosh, Old Navy "triple-roll", etc.) are fine until it's below freezing.

Also, try lined overalls. I LOVE the ones at OshKosh:

http://www.oshkosh.com/oshkosh-baby-boy-overalls1/VM_444A002.html?cgid=oshkosh-baby-boy-overalls1#navID=header&start=1&cgid=oshkosh-baby-boy-overalls1

Another option is finding adjustable waist pants if elastic-waist ones in the length that fits are too big. AFAIK, all brands make adjustable waists. We found ON to fit a bit more slim than OshKosh, for example, but YMMV.

What kinds of hats are you trying and is he the one putting them on? My DD refused hats between the ages of 18 and 26 months, but then I let her choose her own and she wore those a lot more consistently; it helped to have her put her own hat on her head. She tended to favor fleece-lined knit hats, but she's also got a knit cap with a brim that she loves wearing.

Would he consider earmuffs?

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Baby Legs are fantastic for wearing under pants. They keep that lower leg covered when you are carrying them outside. 69-70 isn't cold...I wouldn't overdo the layers b/c it's less ideal to be overheated. A onesie and a fleece sleeper would do. Being cold won't get him sick. :)

BabyBearsMom
11-05-2013, 01:02 PM
My girls are tall and DD1 is very slim (DD2 is losing her baby weight and slimming down but not to the degree of DD1) and I really like jeans like these: http://us.nextdirect.com/en/g492570s3 with the sweatpant waist but jean legs. I have the linked pair but in girls for my kids and they are great. They cover bellies with plenty of length. This brand tends to run slim as well, which I like.

At night, I put a longsleeved onesie under fleece footie jammies on cold nights. I also have a space heater in DD2's room (I know that some people don't agree with this, but I am comfortable with it as her room is frigid. We keep it on a slate tile, away from anything flammible and it is the kind that if it tips it turns off. DD2 is still in a crib and cannot access it).

For hats, have you tried something like this: http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC&pcid=47&styleid=16163&simg=16163_W16 Both of my girls won't wear regular hats but will wear these.