PDA

View Full Version : Reynaud's

legaleagle
11-05-2013, 02:17 PM
I've have reynaud's for a couple years mostly in my toes but this year is really bad. :( Anyone have any supplements/medications/tips? I'm already a wool sock addict and wear my uggs/emu boots way too often and it's barely November.

I've read that may be a connection to magnesium definiciency and taking fish oil may help - anyone tried either of these? 2 winters ago I was pregnant and also taking a ton of fish oil and magnesium (lots of BH). The Reynaud's wasn't nearly as bad but I had chalked that up to the pregnancy itself.

Or it could just be getting older - just turned 35. My mom has this as well and she said it was the worst in her mid 30s and much better now in her 60s. I don't want to wait 30 years to wear cute shoes again though!

swissair81
11-05-2013, 05:10 PM
I have Reynaud's trait and it's usually okay when it's not cold outside. Admittedly, my feet and legs fall asleep anytime I let my legs dangle for any length of time, and my hands will be totally purple when winter comes. The worst part of my Reynaud's is when I start Breastfeeding. My nipples crack right away and I get searing pain. Again, it's better when it's not cold. I'm having trouble again now that my baby is teething. She bites and I get cracks, and heaven help me in the freezer aisle. I don't have any suggestions, but I definitely feel your pain.

MommyAllison
11-05-2013, 06:12 PM
My sister has Reynauds, though hers mostly manifests itself when BFing (or at least, it is tolerable when not BFing). I know she has had success with some supplements though - I will ask her which ones. Magnesium sounds familiar.

kaitlyns.mom
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Mine is pretty bad lately too. I'm 34. I first noticed it when BFing - major issues with both kids in the first few months. Now if I hold an iced coffee, my hand burns. My toes burn and I'm in flip-flops half the time since I live in Southern CA, but apparently that's not a good enough excuse. ;) DD is 5 and complains of getting a "cold foot" at night, and I've wondered if it's the same thing.

The only thing that has helped me is Motrin. Mostly I try to ignore it.

MSWR0319
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
Interesting. I have Reynauds also and didn't realize feet and legs falling asleep were part of it. Makes total sense though. My fingers and toes get really bad in the winter. I also didn't realize that breastfeeding could make it worse. That explains a lot!! I'll have to watch this thread for supplement ideas.

MommyAllison
11-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Ok, my sister took Magnesium and calcium, and found them helpful. She doesn't remember dosage info though, and suggested googling for more info about that combo of supplements. Good luck!

oneplustwo
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
I'll be following this thread. I have Reynaud's as well and just today was thinking it was a lot worse today than ever before and that I need a major upgrade on warm boots for walking the dog.

Twoboos
11-06-2013, 10:02 AM
Thanks for posting about the Magnesium/Calcium, I am going to look into this.

I have a self-diagnosed case - last winter my fingers and toes went white after being outside for too long. It was the worst I had ever seen it, DH thought I looked like a zombie and was ready to take me to the ER. I have already busted out the Smartwool socks, down jacket and add'l camisole layers.

Here's a thread I started (apparently well after the incident), no real supplement recommendations but commiseration. ;)

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?430141-Anyone-have-Raynaud-s-disease-syndrome&highlight=reynaud

nfowife
11-08-2013, 07:33 PM
I had it bad while nursing and took a blood-pressure med for it. If you google search the medicine name will come up- it was a lifesaver.

JElaineB
11-09-2013, 02:01 PM
I was diagnosed with primary Raynaud's phenomenon in September. It started last winter. Because I am over 40 the doc was concerned that there may be an underlying issue and sent me to a Rheumatologist. He did tons of tests, including blood tests and an echocardiogram. The only possible issue is the beginnings of autoimmune hypothyroidism but my primary doc does not want to treat it at this time. The rheumatologist prescribed Nifedipine, a calcium-channel blocker, which can help with blood flow in the extremities. It is approved for use wit Raynaud's. It seems to help a bit. I do take magnesium but I don't think that has helped.

Nooknookmom
12-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Another raynauds here. Mine is secondary bc I lupus symptoms. This cold snap in Cali is killing me! My oldest dd has it also and I feel bad for her. Good tips on thread!

AnnieW625
12-18-2013, 01:18 PM
My dad (63) has Reynaud's (yes men can get it) so I will have to tell him about the fish oil magnesium connection. He started getting it in his 40s and during the winter he swears by his wool socks and wool gloves and it does go away with warmer weather.