PDA

View Full Version : Update in last post. Keep or Toss: Gravy

Indianamom2
11-05-2013, 04:41 PM
My turn to ask: Would you use jarred turkey gravy with a "use by" date of 07-18-13?

I have no idea. I'd just make my own, but I've never had ANY success that way.

Keep or Toss...and GO!

BabyBearsMom
11-05-2013, 04:41 PM
I'd use it so long as it is sealed and when I open the jar it smells okay.

petesgirl
11-05-2013, 04:45 PM

Yes. I don't worry too much about use by dates (within about a 6 month range) on packaged items like that.

sariana
11-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Keep. I've used jarred or canned goods much older than that. Except for dairy, I consider Use By dates to be "suggestions" on sealed containers.

specialp
11-05-2013, 05:07 PM

:yeahthat:

eagle
11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
how to make from semi-scratch:

for one standard can (14 oz or so) of beef or chicken broth's worth of broth: 2 tbsp butter in a small pan heated and melted. add 2 tbsp flour. cook flour until golden colored, then add broth bit by bit, stirring with a whisk. heat until gravy is bubbling and youre done.

if you want a quart's worth of gravy: in a large pan or small stock pot, heat 6 tbsp butter until melted and add 6 tbsp flour and cook the flour until its golden colored. add a quart (== 4 cups) of (beef or chicken) broth to the roux bit by bit, stirring with a whisk until your gravy is saucy, bubbly and hot. serve.

very easy! really it is!

eagle
11-05-2013, 06:15 PM
"proper" gravy, completely from scratch, is another beast altogether, though. you need to make stock/broth and that takes time and effort. tastes better. but i rarely make it that way.

love thanksgiving, though, since thats an excuse to make a small amt of real turkey gravy.

mackmama
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Toss! (I toss things past expiration dates though)

candaceb
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
As long as it isn't bulging, I'd eat it.

SnuggleBuggles
11-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Of course. Use by dates just don't skeeve me out.

Indianamom2
11-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Well as it turns out, tonight's dinner was not meant to be (at least tonight!). Most of the way through cooking the chicken, Dh calls and informs me he has a flat tire in the parking garage at work. We try to find a tire place still open that we can get to....not happening. He has to have a car for tomorrow and so do I (no viable public transpo for us). So I met him at work, helped him change the tire (because he was still in his banker's suit!) and now I get to go buy new tires (he needed them anyway) tomorrow with a 4 yr. old in tow. So we had McDonald's and got the kids to bed and we'll try the nice roast chicken again tomorrow. (At least it's now cooked and the house smells yummy.) Oh well....that's life. But I will probably use the gravy if it smells ok.

twowhat?
11-05-2013, 10:49 PM
how to make from semi-scratch:

for one standard can (14 oz or so) of beef or chicken broth's worth of broth: 2 tbsp butter in a small pan heated and melted. add 2 tbsp flour. cook flour until golden colored, then add broth bit by bit, stirring with a whisk. heat until gravy is bubbling and youre done.

if you want a quart's worth of gravy: in a large pan or small stock pot, heat 6 tbsp butter until melted and add 6 tbsp flour and cook the flour until its golden colored. add a quart (== 4 cups) of (beef or chicken) broth to the roux bit by bit, stirring with a whisk until your gravy is saucy, bubbly and hot. serve.

very easy! really it is!

Maybe it was you who posted about this laste year but I tried it and it IS easy and yummy. I used the low sodium chicken broth and then added the pan drippings from the turkey once it was done and it was REALLY tasty!! And then for Christmas I made broth from the Thanksgiving turkey bones and used that to make the gravy and it was really, REALLY good:)

But to answer the OP, that'd be a keep for me:)

BunnyBee
11-05-2013, 11:02 PM
I know who's getting AAA for Christmas/Hanukkah/Winter Solstice. ;)

Costco is GREAT for tires, and easy to kill time with a kiddo. :)

Indianamom2
11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
I know who's getting AAA for Christmas/Hanukkah/Winter Solstice. ;)

Costco is GREAT for tires, and easy to kill time with a kiddo. :)

Costco would be great....but we don't have one...yet. However, it's COMING this spring! YAY!!!!

Indianamom2
11-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Maybe it was you who posted about this laste year but I tried it and it IS easy and yummy. I used the low sodium chicken broth and then added the pan drippings from the turkey once it was done and it was REALLY tasty!! And then for Christmas I made broth from the Thanksgiving turkey bones and used that to make the gravy and it was really, REALLY good:)

But to answer the OP, that'd be a keep for me:)

Sounds like I will have to try this recipe for gravy. My mom makes great gravy, but she's 700+ miles away....it doesn't travel well that far! :)

sariana
11-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Sounds like I will have to try this recipe for gravy. My mom makes great gravy, but she's 700+ miles away....it doesn't travel well that far! :)

Gravy that has traveled 700+ miles? Yeah, that would be a toss. ;)

eagle
11-06-2013, 01:48 AM
im pretty sure ive never posted any gravy recipe here. here is what i think might be the thread the pp was writing about: http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?446255-Help-with-gravy

"fake" gravy (with canned or boxed broth) is super easy. no need to buy jars of gravy if you can buy broth!