PDA

View Full Version : in a car accident today

♥ms.pacman♥
11-05-2013, 11:23 PM
was in a 3-car accident on the freeway this evening, coming back from work. i was supposed to go to a much-needed yoga class after work, kids were home with sitter, and for once i was on time and not rushing there (i felt bad leaving work early though). there was heavy traffic, it was rainy and dark and i got rear-ended. there were two other cars involved. we exchanged numbers, info and talked to the police. i felt horrible for the other drivers who were 16 and 18, they were all calling their parents, and their parents were all having to try to find the accident scene amongst rush hour traffic, in the dark and in the rain. i think what happened is the girl in first car braked and she skidded and ran into the 2nd car who ran into me. i felt bad for the driver of first car, her airbag deployed and everything and her car was non-working after it all and had to wait for a tow-truck. Driving home after it i saw two more accidents on the road. the roads were SUPER slick.

it's 9 and I JUST got the kids in bed. i will pay dearly tomorrow morning but am letting the chores (making lunches, etc) go to pot tonite so i can just veg and chill..i am still a bit shaken up by it all. DH, of course, is out of town. i thank my lucky stars though that the kids were not in the car. or that they were not at school and would have been waiting at the directors office for half hour, all confused, hungry and what not, and i would have had to deal with them all evening and would have had to wait until they were in bed to call DH and tell him what happened.

am counting down the days till the last day of DH"s job (sometime this month, hopefully). at times like this, i just hate, hate, hate how he travels so much. I honestly don't know WHAT I would have done if i had actually gotten hurt at all and would have had to go to the hospital (even minor), or even if the car had been totaled (it's only vehicle i have, the other car is at the airport). We have no family here, i barely know our neighbors bc i'm not a social person at all (and DH is even less so). It would have killed me to be all alone and not be able to be there for my DC and have had to figure everything out alone..this is a huge source of anxiety for me. i feel with at least DH here if one of us is down the other can always take over and handle things. i don't know, i know in the end i should be feeling grateful that nobody was hurt, and i am, but at the same time, i am just freaked out over how easily accidents can happen. :(

pinkmomagain
11-05-2013, 11:26 PM
so sorry to hear of your accident but s0 glad to hear that you are ok and safely home with your kiddos.

crl
11-05-2013, 11:29 PM
Glad you are okay!

Catherine

StantonHyde
11-05-2013, 11:30 PM
oh gads, that is the LAST thing you need with all your stress right now!!! Big hugs!!

MMMommy
11-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Good that you are safe and sound.

TxCat
11-05-2013, 11:49 PM
So sorry that you had to go through that, but glad everyone is okay. You're in the home stretch of your DH's travel now - soon it will all be behind you!

Kindra178
11-05-2013, 11:50 PM
So sorry.

KrisM
11-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Glad you are safe!

MamaMolly
11-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Hugs, mama. One of my worst freak outs was when I got caught in a bad snowstorm when we'd just moved to Chicago and DH was out of the country for work. I didn't know a soul, and it was really scary. I'm glad you are ok and hope you aren't too sore tomorrow. I know you aren't a big extrovert but it might be a good idea to get to know two or three close neighbors, just in case. A plate of brownies and a friendly hello would get the ball rolling.

SnuggleBuggles
11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Scary. :( I am glad you are ok.

ourbabygirl
11-06-2013, 12:13 AM
I'm so sorry! So glad you're o.k., though, and your kids, too! :hug: It started snowing tonight, and I dread dealing with the roads (& getting out of the driveway now that DH is gone for a few days). Glad your DH will be switching to another job soon; hopefully you can breathe a sigh of relief soon and have him help you out a lot more again!

JElaineB
11-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Very sorry about the accident, glad it wasn't worse. Even if you feel ok now, keep the possibility of whiplash in mind. It can show up days or weeks after the accident. If your back, neck, arms or really anywhere is sore in the near future be sure to get it checked out. I needed multiple chiropractor visits to take care of mine after a car accident a number of years ago.

KpbS
11-06-2013, 12:39 AM
So sorry! Any way you could take the day off tomorrow? Sending big hugs! :hug:

sariana
11-06-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm so sorry! I do want to say, however, that I am really impressed at the compassion you are able to have for the young drivers involved. Your willingness to feel bad on their behalf shows a lot about your character.

My DH used to travel extensively for work (and in fact is away right now until tomorrow, but his trips are much fewer now). It is so difficult to cope when you don't have a network to lean on. I hope you are able to find a few people you can turn to when you need help. It has made such a huge difference for me now that I have a network of fellow moms who can help out with childcare when needed (and I do the same for them). But it has taken a while to get to this point. I'm not a social person, either.

I hope you are feeling better by the time you read this (I'm assuming that will be tomorrow as I am on the west coast, and it's fairly late here).

hellokitty
11-06-2013, 12:53 AM
:hug: I'm glad that you are ok, and I hope that things let up on you soon.

AnnieW625
11-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Take the next day and maybe Thursday off of work if you need to. I didn't feel any pain at all until about 48 hrs. after the accident I had when I was rear ended. Hope you are getting some rest.

echoesofspring
11-06-2013, 02:28 AM
Aww, hugs Ms. Pacman, I so feel for you. Glad you are ok!

Tondi G
11-06-2013, 02:44 AM
((HUGS)) car accidents are the worst! Even if you aren't feeling anything now, you might be wrecked tomorrow. I would suggest taking a good long HOT shower ... and if you are feeling sore at all take advil. Glad you are ok and that your car wasn't badly damaged. Hope you get some sleep tonight.

georgiegirl
11-06-2013, 07:22 AM
How scary. I'm so glad it was a minor accident and you weren't hurt and your kids were at home.

anonomom
11-06-2013, 08:15 AM
I am so sorry (but very glad you weren't hurt!). I'm also glad the finish line is in sight for DH's travel. I hope you'll be able to get a much-needed break.

brittone2
11-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Glad you are okay, and I'm sorry it was so stressful :( We tend to have major events when DH is traveling, and it is hard when it happens.

Take care of yourself and watch for any symptoms in the coming days :hug: Get checked out if you notice anything.

123LuckyMom
11-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Thank goodness you're okay! I hope you're not feeling too sore this morning. Hugs to you!

Cuckoomamma
11-06-2013, 09:20 AM
So glad you're okay!

pastrygirl
11-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Oh no! I'm glad you're OK! The first thing I thought when I saw your username under the title was, ugh, I hope her husband isn't away… sorry to hear that he is. :(

egoldber
11-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Oh no!!!! :(

I have to say one of my greatest fears when DH travels is that I will be injured in some way.

Mommy2Abby
11-06-2013, 09:49 AM
So sorry but so glad it wasn't worse for you and that you are OK. I haven't read all of the previous posts, but be sure to take care of yourself and take it easy. It sometimes takes 24-48 hours for symptoms of whiplash to set in. Be sure to get yourself checked out if you have any discomfort.

Twoboos
11-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Oh no! I'm glad you're OK! The first thing I thought when I saw your username under the title was, ugh, I hope her husband isn't away… sorry to hear that he is. :(

:yeahthat: That was my first thought too! Glad you're ok - try to take it easy for the next couple of days. (I know, easier said than done.)

westwoodmom04
11-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Glad to hear you are ok; it is so scary to be in an accident, even when there is little damage. Hang in there; dh's travels come to an end soon.

musicalgrl
11-06-2013, 10:02 AM
how stressful. :( Glad you're okay and happy that the kids weren't in the car.

TwinFoxes
11-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Ugh. That sounds very scary. Sending hugs. :hug:

Ms B
11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Couldn't not post and let you know that I am glad that things seem to be all right.

Check carefully to make sure that you are not injured -- sometimes these things take a while to show up because the adrenaline has to leave your system in order for you to realize the injury.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Hugs, mama. One of my worst freak outs was when I got caught in a bad snowstorm when we'd just moved to Chicago and DH was out of the country for work. I didn't know a soul, and it was really scary. I'm glad you are ok and hope you aren't too sore tomorrow. I know you aren't a big extrovert but it might be a good idea to get to know two or three close neighbors, just in case. A plate of brownies and a friendly hello would get the ball rolling.
thanks. and yes, while i do try to make an effort it is hard given i work full time, have a decent commute and i don't get home til 6 or 630pm. and with DH traveling i feel like everyone ounce of time on weekends is used for running errands..we were are never outside just socializing, never get a chance to talk. also, the vast majority of our neighborhood seems very clique-y. i friended several neighbors on FB few months ago, to try to get more connected and i almost wish i hadn't. :( every week is a post of how they are all BFFs, how they had fun this with this or that person at this event, how they have the best neighbors xx and y, etc etc. i have made an effort to say nice comments on whatever posts they make (e.g. happy anniversary, congrats to xxx for making this team), but none of them have ever liked/commented a single item i have ever posted (and they're on FB constantly, posting multiple times a day, blah status updates). So, i feel like we're getting the cold shoulder, and i'm tired of trying. It's hard, i get that they're all BFFs with each other already so i've sort of given up trying to be friends with them. Plus i know we will be moving in a couple years.

luckily though i joined a playgroup for 2yos at the kiddos school (which is close by), and this week i plan to go to a moms' night..and the kids are stating to getting invited to classmate birthday parties...so i'm becoming friends with more parents at the school, which i assume would be helpful too in case of anything...most families live fairly close by, and i guess if anything ever happened it wouldn't be too huge of a deal for them to take my kiddos to school or pick them up as they would be familiar with the school. i like that the playgroup is not cliquey at all (the organizer even put out flyers in kiddos cubbies advertising the group, to get more people to join) which is awesome. I don't know, maybe it's my 7th grade experience, but i can't stand cliquey groups where everyone is always bragging how they are BFFs with each other and then make no effort to try to be friends or include others.

anyway, woke up sore shoulders/back today but don't know how much of it is from just the tension/stress of the day yesterday. dh comes home tonight thankfully and he'll try to take the car in on Friday to get fixed before our road trip Saturday.

TwoBees
11-06-2013, 10:47 AM
:hug: I'm so sorry. I hope today is a better day.

brittone2
11-06-2013, 10:56 AM
thanks. and yes, while i do try to make an effort it is hard given i work full time, have a decent commute and i don't get home til 6 or 630pm. and with DH traveling i feel like everyone ounce of time on weekends is used for running errands..we were are never outside just socializing, never get a chance to talk. also, the vast majority of our neighborhood seems very clique-y. i friended several neighbors on FB few months ago, to try to get more connected and i almost wish i hadn't. :( every week is a post of how they are all BFFs, how they had fun this with this or that person at this event, how they have the best neighbors xx and y, etc etc. i have made an effort to say nice comments on whatever posts they make (e.g. happy anniversary, congrats to xxx for making this team), but none of them have ever liked/commented a single item i have ever posted (and they're on FB constantly, posting multiple times a day, blah status updates). So, i feel like we're getting the cold shoulder, and i'm tired of trying. It's hard, i get that they're all BFFs with each other already so i've sort of given up trying to be friends with them. Plus i know we will be moving in a couple years.

luckily though i joined a playgroup for 2yos at the kiddos school (which is close by), and this week i plan to go to a moms' night..and the kids are stating to getting invited to classmate birthday parties...so i'm becoming friends with more parents at the school, which i assume would be helpful too in case of anything...most families live fairly close by, and i guess if anything ever happened it wouldn't be too huge of a deal for them to take my kiddos to school or pick them up as they would be familiar with the school. i like that the playgroup is not cliquey at all (the organizer even put out flyers in kiddos cubbies advertising the group, to get more people to join) which is awesome. I don't know, maybe it's my 7th grade experience, but i can't stand cliquey groups where everyone is always bragging how they are BFFs with each other and then make no effort to try to be friends or include others.

anyway, woke up sore shoulders/back today but don't know how much of it is from just the tension/stress of the day yesterday. dh comes home tonight thankfully and he'll try to take the car in on Friday to get fixed before our road trip Saturday.

I would get checked if your neck and shoulders continue to feel sore. I know it is a pain, but it is good to get it documented:hug:

BabyBearsMom
11-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Sounds like a terrible night. :hug5: Hope today is better.

fedoragirl
11-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I would get checked if your neck and shoulders continue to feel sore. I know it is a pain, but it is good to get it documented:hug:

Ditto that. It could be whiplash and it should be documented so you can get treatment whether that's a chiropractor, massage services or whatever.
So glad you're safe and everything worked out. I can totally relate to your feeling scared about the kids when your DH is gone.

ijopint
11-06-2013, 11:42 AM
sorry to hear about your accident. glad you are safe!. like the pp's , go to the doctor for the checkup.
hope all will be well for you and the kiddos for the coming trip.

goldenpig
11-06-2013, 11:47 AM
So sorry about the accident--how scary! Glad you (and the kids) are OK.

lmh2402
11-06-2013, 12:00 PM
so sorry about your accident, but glad that everyone is safe! and yay for your DH having his last day soon

elektra
11-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Glad you are ok!

sariana
11-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Pursuing friendships among the school moms is a good idea. That's how I met most of my friends, and having same-age kids means we can help each other with childcare when needed.

I agree with PPs that you should be very careful about any pain and document everything, just in case.

Momit
11-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Yikes. Glad everyone is OK.

Globetrotter
11-06-2013, 01:13 PM
Thank goodness you're okay!

I hope you're able to establish a good support network in the future, to put your mind at ease. I know it takes time.