PDA

View Full Version : Enough!

hellokitty
11-06-2013, 09:24 AM
OK, I may come off sounding like the grinch, but enough with the 30 days of gratitude facebook thing, people! I don't know why those kind of posts are making me so grumpy, but they are really annoying me this yr. I feel like ppl are grasping at straws to do one for every day, it just doesn't come off as sincere to me. Where is the vomit smilie?

KrisM
11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
I agree for most of them at least. Every now and then, I really like one. I could do without them on FB.

TwinFoxes
11-06-2013, 10:40 AM
OMG! I totally agree. Luckily only two of my feed regulars are doing it. One is SIL. Some eyerollers have come across.

it seems like a good thing to do internally, taking stock of things you're thankful for. I don't get the need for sharing, it's really braggy.

petesgirl
11-06-2013, 10:51 AM
I am right there with you! They are so cheesy and emotionally gushy sometimes I just can't take it. Those people get hidden for a while. :)

SnuggleBuggles
11-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Luckily only one of my friends does it. She is pretty positive year round too so I can roll with it. I am not a huge fan of one gushing about their spouse on there though. It seems contrived if it happens too often.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-06-2013, 10:55 AM
oh i hear you. i have one friend who did one and consolidated a number of days and it came off as sweet. but the rest, yeah i could do without.

there was a Rotten e-card someone posted that said "November: where all the people on FB who have been complaining for the past 11 months start saying what they're thankful for" or something. was funny!

Melaine
11-06-2013, 11:13 AM
I tend to agree. I feel like the idea was a good one but it winds up sounding very braggy plus insincere with the folks who are typically complaining a lot.

BabyBearsMom
11-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I must have ungrateful friends because I am not seeing these. I would totally roll my eyes if I saw it on Facebook.

boolady
11-06-2013, 11:16 AM
it seems like a good thing to do internally, taking stock of things you're thankful for. I don't get the need for sharing, it's really braggy.

:yeahthat:

arivecchi
11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I am not a huge fan of one gushing about their spouse on there though. It seems contrived if it happens too often. Huge pet peeve of mine. Tell them in person. I don't need to know how much you love Johnny.

arivecchi
11-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I must have ungrateful friends because I am not seeing these. I would totally roll my eyes if I saw it on Facebook. Same here. LOL!

TwinFoxes
11-06-2013, 11:43 AM
there was a Rotten e-card someone posted that said "November: where all the people on FB who have been complaining for the past 11 months start saying what they're thankful for" or something. was funny!

Perfect!

Mopey
11-06-2013, 03:24 PM
There's a reason my sis calls facebook.....

SHOWOFF.COM :rolleyes:

barkley1
11-06-2013, 09:12 PM
I hate that crap. Facebook = Facebrag

maybeebaby08
11-06-2013, 09:37 PM
I saw the ecard and laughed. I don't mind it from people who are pretty positive all the time it's the negative ones that are all the sudden grateful for everyone and thing. And this week it's normal like family, job, etc. but around the middle of the month it turns into I'm Thankful for the ice that makes my water cold.
I'm thankful when the Facebook thankful month
is over!

Globetrotter
11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
I have a FB friend who gushes about her marriage daily and writes posts about a strong marriage. Once in a while is okay, but I think it's a bit much. Maybe i'm just jealous!!

♥ms.pacman♥
11-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I saw the ecard and laughed. I don't mind it from people who are pretty positive all the time it's the negative ones that are all the sudden grateful for everyone and thing. And this week it's normal like family, job, etc. but around the middle of the month it turns into I'm Thankful for the ice that makes my water cold.
is over!
LOL, this made me laugh. so true. and yeah, i dont' mind it when people say they're thankful for their beautiful dc who does this or that sweet thing, or thankful for grandparents who help out with new baby, bc i get those feelings.... i just get tired of peeps are constant "i'm so blessed to have a great DH/to be able to stay at home with my kids/live in a huge house/go on all these vacations/have tons of amazing friends , here is a pic of us all happy and drunk at xxx bar" etc . And that leads me into another thing, the huge, huge, huge overuse of the word "blessed", at least where i live. It's not just me bc my DH notices it too and it drives me up the wall...the word is way over used, especially on facebook and has come to be a "PC" way to brag about something. Um, your kids getting to go to Disney, or buying a 4,000 square foot house, i don't see why that's ok to flaunt as a blessing from God.

rin
11-07-2013, 12:25 AM
They totally irritate me.

IMO posts like that just come off as being smug/bragging.

It's great to be thankful for things, it's great to be positive and love your life, but the rest of us don't have to hear about it.

Maybe I'm a grinch, too!

sntm
11-07-2013, 12:41 AM
A friend of mine is doing daily Novrember posts listing her 30 top pet peeves. It is wonderful ;)

MamaMolly
11-07-2013, 11:24 AM
I have one friend who did this last year and they were sincere, heartfelt and thoughtful. I really enjoyed reading them.

This year I have a different friend who is making me gag with her obvious over the top brown nosing to her ILs.

The other one giving me cavities this year is my stepmother who keeps forgetting, then blasting with Day3-5 off hand shallow comments. The best ones are about being lucky to have a spouse who is ~insert braggy sweetness about my dad here~. Because I know they are fighting viscously 99% of the time. My dad is NOT a peach of a husband, honestly he's a SOB and they can barely have a civil conversation. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

elliput
11-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I have a FB friend who gushes about her marriage daily and writes posts about a strong marriage. Once in a while is okay, but I think it's a bit much. Maybe i'm just jealous!!
I never take this at face value. Especially if there is never seems to be a flip side.

Seitvonzu
11-09-2013, 08:44 PM
is over!

OMG-- i'm TOTALLY stealing the ice one for our thankfulness tree that my DD and I make :) -- i *heart* ice "ice that makes my water cold! YES!!!!!!!!!!

we're like 2 weeks behind...cause i'm waiting for the acorns i painted gold to dry (it's taking forever for some reason). i don't do this on facebook, but i tend to make it about "small" thanks anyway...cause 30 large thanks is alot. i only have one facebook person doing it and i haven't noticed it in the last few days :)

lmh2402
11-10-2013, 09:49 PM
i must be living under a rock b/c i had no idea about this gratitude thing...and noticed for the first time tonight one of my FB friends posted some random kind of preachy "you should be thankful for..." and it left me scratching my head.

so at least now i understand it was her participating in a "thing"

of course, i didn't really appreciate her post since it was really rather pushy

maybeebaby08
11-10-2013, 10:45 PM
OMG-- i'm TOTALLY stealing the ice one for our thankfulness tree that my DD and I make :) -- i *heart* ice "ice that makes my water cold! YES!!!!!!!!!!

we're like 2 weeks behind...cause i'm waiting for the acorns i painted gold to dry (it's taking forever for some reason). i don't do this on facebook, but i tend to make it about "small" thanks anyway...cause 30 large thanks is alot. i only have one facebook person doing it and i haven't noticed it in the last few days :)

Post pics of your Thankfulness tree. I really like this idea, seems like a good way to get the kids into the holiday spirit and more focused on giving and being grateful then want want want.

essnce629
11-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Omg, I hate it too and I have a ton of people on my feed doing it!

Posting a pet peeve of yours every day sounds awesome! I don't think I could come up with that many though!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Omg, I hate it too and I have a ton of people on my feed doing it!

Posting a pet peeve of yours every day sounds awesome! I don't think I could come up with that many though!!!

I could come up with 30. :) Get on a roll about a specific topic- people in the grocery store; other drivers; kids and school stuff; household annoyances; spousal annoyances; co workers... I could do 30 on other drivers alone, I think.