PDA

View Full Version : If You Ever Wonder if You Make a Difference as a Person...

StantonHyde
11-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Part of my "other duties as assigned" job at work is generating reports of positive patient comments from our patient satisfaction surveys. I work in a psych hospital so we get some interesting comments. Then I pick out the ones that name specific staff and someone turns them into "Star Cards" for those staff. One of the cooks in our cafeteria is constantly getting great feedback--he is friendly and funny. But this comment today made me tear up:

""X" a chef, is awesome. Not only is his food amazing, his personality is accepting, friendly. Gave me hope that things could get better. That not all men are scary."

Here's this guy just being himself and doing his usual good job. Not a clinician. "Just a cook" And he gave this person (woman I assume) this kind of hope. Now that is amazing.

elektra
11-06-2013, 07:44 PM
Very heartwarming!

Mopey
11-06-2013, 09:13 PM
I love reading things like this. People really seem to forget, or not understand, the impact they can have on others. Like my sig quote......

crl
11-06-2013, 10:08 PM
That's wonderful. And wonderful that there is a feedback system like that. I bet writing that made the patient feel good and receiving the compliment made the cook feel awesome.

Catherine

123LuckyMom
11-06-2013, 10:20 PM
Thanks for posting this!

Globetrotter
11-06-2013, 11:00 PM
This is the sort of feedback that kept me going at my very rewarding but low-paying first job!

speo
11-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Along these lines, there is a crossing guard in my neighborhood that works a very busy intersection. I have never spoken with him because I just drive through the intersection, but I do see him several times a day. Rarely have I ever seen someone perform their assigned job with such positivity in ANY profession. He brings so much to the world. He waves to the kids. People honk. He smiles always. And he is so serious about protecting the kids that I have no doubt he would try to stop an oncoming train to save one of them. So yes we can all have an impact, most especially if we bring positivity.

twowhat?
11-06-2013, 11:50 PM
I saw this on FB and this thread reminded me of that:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10202423021478362&set=o.66655379051&type=1&theater

jacksmomtobe
11-07-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for posting this. It's nice to see how the little things someone can do can make a difference. I found it especially touching that she was able to get a feeling of acceptance from him.

daniele_ut
11-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Along these lines, there is a crossing guard in my neighborhood that works a very busy intersection. I have never spoken with him because I just drive through the intersection, but I do see him several times a day. Rarely have I ever seen someone perform their assigned job with such positivity in ANY profession. He brings so much to the world. He waves to the kids. People honk. He smiles always. And he is so serious about protecting the kids that I have no doubt he would try to stop an oncoming train to save one of them. So yes we can all have an impact, most especially if we bring positivity.

We have a really sweet crossing guard at one of our intersections too. We do walk a few times a week and she always makes it a point to smile and ask DD how she's feeling and that she hopes she has a great day at school. I really get the sense that she is lonely and we always make it a point to chat with her as we are crossing and once we are across the street if there isn't another group that needs to cross.