PDA

View Full Version : Lululemon founder: 'Some women's bodies...don't work' in the pants

lmh2402
11-07-2013, 09:28 PM
thoughts? offensive? not? will you continue to purchase their clothing?

http://www.latimes.com/business/money/la-fi-mo-lululemon-women-pants-20131107,0,6894067.story?track=rss#axzz2k0srUjI2

elliput
11-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Interesting. I don't think my money works there either.

indigo99
11-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I've never purchased from them anyway, but I don't see a problem really. My thighs rub together, and I'm not surprised when some pants start showing wear in that area. I imagine it may be a bigger problem with workout pants, and wearing pants that are too tight will make them appear thinner. It sounds like they actually do have a problem with their sizing if people need to size up, and it's a little concerning that he seems to be putting the blame for product issues back on the consumer. However, saying that tight workout clothes won't work for everyone isn't really offensive to me.

hellokitty
11-07-2013, 10:52 PM
I think it was really stupid of him to say that. The issue is that ppl that pay that much for yoga pants, expect them to hold up a little bit better, then say, something from walmart or target. So, lululemon cheaps out on the fabric used for the pants. Fine, they made a mistake, but at least own up to it. Instead, he's got a lot of nerve to turn around and blame his CUSTOMERS, for not having the right kind of body for his product, for blaming them for buying the wrong size? What a narcissistic jerk! What stuns me, is that there have been companies like Abercrombie that have already been through the wringer for stupid comments like this, yet he still feels the need to go down the same path. He deserves to lose business. I own one running cap from lululemon, and after this, basically have no plans to ever step into that store again.

anonomom
11-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Eh. He makes clothes for an incredibly small segment of the population and doesn't want people above a certain size to wear those clothes. That makes him identical to the vast majority of clothing manufacturers. He's just more upfront about it than most. Are people just surprised because the population his company normally caters to isn't used to being treated like that?

oneplustwo
11-07-2013, 11:08 PM

Best comment ever. Where's the like button??!??!??

Kindra178
11-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I love Lulu's Groove pants and sport bras. I will continue to buy them as long as they have my size. I could never wear the WunderUnder pant comfortably and look and feel attractive, so I don't buy that kind. I am not horribly disgusted with what he said. Lulu (and its competitors) sell tons of different kinds of pants to flatter different bodies. He obviously could have had more tact though.

twotimesblue
11-07-2013, 11:47 PM
He's selling some of the most expensive (overpriced?) workout gear on the market, and instead of apologizing to his consumers for clearly shoddy workmanship he's implying that some of them, who have spent $$$ on his products, haven't got the right body shape to wear his clothes? Wow. Just wow.

StantonHyde
11-07-2013, 11:50 PM
meh, I've always known I'm too big for those clothes. And my BMI is under 25. There are other brands that fit just fine and don't cost as much.

athompson
11-08-2013, 12:16 AM
I have what I like to call "powerful" thighs. The good news is that I could do several squats with this guy on my back if need be because of said powerful thighs that do not "work" in his pants.

TwinFoxes
11-08-2013, 12:18 AM
He's an oddball. He was forced out as CEO because of his crazy comments. Like making fun of how Japanese people say the letter L and saying that's why he called his brand LuLuLemon. He also made some harsh comments about working women.

logan's mom
11-08-2013, 12:22 AM
I have what I like to call "powerful" thighs. The good news is that I could do several squats with this guy on my back if need be because of said powerful thighs that do not "work" in his pants.

:hysterical:

AnnieW625
11-08-2013, 12:32 AM
I think their pants fit me better than Athleta, which for me just makes my butt look jiggly. I actually have a pair of pants I need to take back because the stitching on the seems has come undone. I haven't had any pilling issues. I have two pairs of Venus crops, and a pair of Groove pants. Thankfully I didn't pay full price for them.

crayonblue
11-08-2013, 02:17 AM
Huh. I never realized that the reason my work out/yoga pants wear thin in the crotch area is because of my thighs. I thought it was from the exercise bike. Good to know that it is all me!

hwin708
11-08-2013, 02:54 AM
He's an ass, plain and simple.

This has nothing to do with trying to attract a slimmer customer base, and keep out any people "undesirable" to their image. They switched manufacturers, and clearly cheaped out. THAT is when the complaints started about their pants. Plenty of people (myself included) own their pants from a few years ago, and they are still going strong, no stretched out nudity detected. That's YEARS later. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people posting pictures online of their exposed bums through the new pants are clearly not obese. Heck, they are rarely above a 4. And if a size 4 and smaller needs to size up in their stretchy yoga pants, because a size small is too tight, then there are some pretty serious sizing issues. But sizing isn't the issue. It's a thinner fabric that's at fault.

As for pilling because of thigh rub - some girls thighs rub. Even skinny girls. If a $100 pair of pants can't resist that rubbing without swift pilling, then they probably shouldn't charge $100 for them.

They got busted trying to increase their profits at the expense of the consumer, and rather than trying to make it right, they are stumbling their way towards destroying their brand. You don't try to blame the consumer for YOUR error.

That being said - this guy is an idiot. He also answered the question of if he would return as CEO of the label with "honestly, I think we've gotten too wealthy to do that." Yeah, I don't think anyone will be inviting you back, dude....

citymama
11-08-2013, 04:00 AM
I've never been a Lululemon fan both because of the products and their horrible CEO/corporate ethic. Give me Athleta any day!

gymnbomb
11-08-2013, 08:54 AM
I personally had no problem with his statement (if the quote I heard was accurate). Almost any clothing manufacturer could say the same thing -- they all have a certain target "audience" for their clothing lines, and none of them fit everyone. Brands that work for one woman won't necessarily work for another, even if they are the same height/weight because different people have different builds. There are a lot of brands that I can't wear because of my shape even though I'm a size 2/4 because I have larger hips and thighs than many pants are made to fit.

No matter what size/shape a person is, he/she is going to look best in clothing that fits well. None of us look good trying to wear clothes of the wrong size or shape.

I have never tried on anything from Lululemon so I have no idea if I am one of the people their clothes work for. I do know that I look much better in yoga pants from Lucy than I do in thinner/cheaper ones, although not all of their styles work for me either. I wish the ones from Old Navy were flattering on me, but one look in the mirror tells me no! Nothing against Old Navy -- I buy some things there, and over half of DH's wardrobe is from there :)

AnnieW625
11-08-2013, 12:40 PM
He's an ass, plain and simple.

This has nothing to do with trying to attract a slimmer customer base, and keep out any people "undesirable" to their image.
Yes to this. At the store I go to there are always a wide range of sizes out and a wide range of people in the store. A lot of the people who work there are fit, but aren't really small and tiny either so I think they are a good equal opportunity employer just based on size. Of course we all might want to be that small, but I have never once felt put off when asking for a larger size. I also only shop the sale rack usually and then leave. I wish they offered some better bra offerings for smaller chested, but large rib cage woman like myself who need a 38B, but am swimming in a 36C, and the 34D is clearly too tight. I don't feel like I am looked down up at Athleta for being fit and large either (and I love my Athleta bikini), but just a majority of their clothes just haven't fit me right for the price.

They switched manufacturers, and clearly cheaped out. THAT is when the complaints started about their pants. Plenty of people (myself included) own their pants from a few years ago, and they are still going strong, no stretched out nudity detected. That's YEARS later. Meanwhile, the vast majority of people posting pictures online of their exposed bums through the new pants are clearly not obese. Heck, they are rarely above a 4. And if a size 4 and smaller needs to size up in their stretchy yoga pants, because a size small is too tight, then there are some pretty serious sizing issues. But sizing isn't the issue. It's a thinner fabric that's at fault.

As for pilling because of thigh rub - some girls thighs rub. Even skinny girls. If a $100 pair of pants can't resist that rubbing without swift pilling, then they probably shouldn't charge $100 for them.

They got busted trying to increase their profits at the expense of the consumer, and rather than trying to make it right, they are stumbling their way towards destroying their brand. You don't try to blame the consumer for YOUR error.

Agree with all of this as well, but I also get pissy when I spend a fair amount of money on expensive jeans and they pill as well, at least in my current predicament and size 14 I can't buy designer jeans (because they are too small in the hips) so I am stuck with Old Navy for the most part, and there is zero pill on them. I just wish they looked a little more designer.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-08-2013, 01:02 PM
He's an oddball. He was forced out as CEO because of his crazy comments. Like making fun of how Japanese people say the letter L and saying that's why he called his brand LuLuLemon. He also made some harsh comments about working women.
what?? ok NOW i think he's a real a$$.

JCat
11-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Lately they have definitely been using cheaper quality material on their products. I don't know why they though people paying that much for workout clothing wouldn't notice!

squimp
11-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I don't think my money works there either. They are certainly having a lot of PR problems lately.

elektra
11-08-2013, 02:48 PM

For anyone who is interested in more specifics, DH just sent me this! Somehow this topic came up in our conversations this morning. Even if the guy has a point about the pants getting wear and tear if you wear them for other things besides yoga, he is a marketing/PR nightmare and a total offensive wacko with these other comments.
http://www.fastcompany.com/3021367/a-shocking-retrospective-of-the-lululemon-founders-many-offensive-comments

arivecchi
11-08-2013, 03:02 PM
For anyone who is interested in more specifics, DH just sent me this! Somehow this topic came up in our conversations this morning. Even if the guy has a point about the pants getting wear and tear if you wear them for other things besides yoga, he is a marketing/PR nightmare and a total offensive wacko with these other comments.
http://www.fastcompany.com/3021367/a-shocking-retrospective-of-the-lululemon-founders-many-offensive-comments How can someone lead a company and be so out of it? Massive ego I guess?

I don't get the whole lulu appeal so, fortunately, I have not lined this guy's pockets.

BabyBearsMom
11-08-2013, 03:09 PM
This is a guy who is just a jerk, he has said lots of jerky things in the past and I think he will continue to say jerky things in the future (he may be the long lost brother of the Abercrombie guy). The company has repeatedly made it clear that my kind (i.e. fatties) aren't welcome in his store. They don't make larger sizes, the larger sizes they have aren't stocked or displayed and they make comments like this. Well, last I checked, my money is still green, the percentage of woman who wear larger sizes is going up, and companies like this will be left in the dust.

BabyBearsMom
11-08-2013, 03:14 PM
http://www.fastcompany.com/3021367/a-shocking-retrospective-of-the-lululemon-founders-many-offensive-comments

Holy cow! He is even worse than I thought. I feel so bad for his PR department, they must weep everytime he does an interview.

smilequeen
11-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Wow, he's like the abercrombie guy. I actually like the yoga pants and capris (even though I'm the dreaded, and apparently obese, part of the population buying the size 12), but I stopped buying abercrombie kids for the boys and I'll stop buying lulu for me. Heck, the C9 stuff at Target fits me pretty well and might have to be replaced more often, but it's not 90 bucks either :)

How's the Lucy stuff?? I was thinking of ordering some.

AnnieW625
11-08-2013, 04:50 PM
.....The company has repeatedly made it clear that my kind (i.e. fatties) aren't welcome in his store. They don't make larger sizes, the larger sizes they have aren't stocked or displayed and they make comments like this. Well, last I checked, my money is still green, the percentage of woman who wear larger sizes is going up, and companies like this will be left in the dust.

:hug: I hear you.

I also do feel the same way (as you do about Lululemon) about Athleta because I have a hard time feeling attractive in pretty much anything but my swimsuit. I feel very inadequate or even guilty for looking in their catalogs because even in my best shape pre kids days I never looked quite that good. I order a few things and they all end up going back. You don't know how many times I have wished I was the size 2-8 that almost everyone here who raves about Athleta is.

One benefit to LLM is that the stuff I have (1 bra, and 3 pairs of pants, all bought in 2011 or 2012) is that I find they run a little big. I wear a 12-14 in most brands but at LLM I can still wear a medium or a 10 and my tiny muffin top stays in the pants and my butt doesn't look giggly.

emily_gracesmama
11-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Love this!!

dcmom2b3
11-08-2013, 11:14 PM

I think I love you! Best quip ever!

Shaking my head, but sadly not surprised.

elliput
11-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Dov Charney (American Apparel), Mike Jefferies(A&F) and Dennis Wilson (Lulu) must all be BFF's. They certainly all use the same play book.

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Holy cow! He is even worse than I thought. I feel so bad for his PR department, they must weep everytime he does an interview.

:rotflmao:

BabyBearsMom
11-09-2013, 07:35 AM
:hug: I hear you.

I also do feel the same way (as you do about Lululemon) about Athleta because I have a hard time feeling attractive in pretty much anything but my swimsuit. I feel very inadequate or even guilty for looking in their catalogs because even in my best shape pre kids days I never looked quite that good. I order a few things and they all end up going back. You don't know how many times I have wished I was the size 2-8 that almost everyone here who raves about Athleta is.

One benefit to LLM is that the stuff I have (1 bra, and 3 pairs of pants, all bought in 2011 or 2012) is that I find they run a little big. I wear a 12-14 in most brands but at LLM I can still wear a medium or a 10 and my tiny muffin top stays in the pants and my butt doesn't look giggly.

Just to clarify, I'm not sad about not fitting in their yoga pants. I'm healthy, I work out daily and I'm actually really proud of my body.

TwinFoxes
11-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Just to clarify, I'm not sad about not fitting in their yoga pants. I'm healthy, I work out daily and I'm actually really proud of my body.

Awesome.

AnnieW625
11-09-2013, 12:08 PM

Me too. I am proud of my body too most of the times because despite being overweight I have no underlying health issues. Right now I believe that most of my weight issues are due to genetics.