PDA

View Full Version : Winter clothing for newborn?

DualvansMommy
11-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I wanted to ask for tips and advice on clothing to buy for a newborn born in the winter.

I'm due in mid Jan and while I've saved quite bit of onesies, good quality clothing items from DS's days as a newborn through 9 months. Most of them are summer/fall which means a lot are light fabric and short sleeve.

So what practical & useful clothing items would you buy in 0-3 months and. 3-6 months size?

lmh2402
11-07-2013, 10:06 PM
my kids lived in footed, cotton sleepers

but they were spring & summer, so they were older by cold weather.

if you plan to be swaddling, you probably wouldn't want to dress the baby too heavily even if it is winter, since you home will be heated

but for non-swaddle time, I'd probably have a bunch of cotton long sleeve onesies and footed pants to facilitate easier changes - the sleepers in the smaller sizes seemed to always be snaps and it took forever to undo and re-do each snap

i also loved the zutano fleece booties for keeping feet warm - put over sock or footed pant

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Fleece footed sleeper. Sometimes I'd put a onesie under. I'm more worried about overheating a newborn so I'm more inclined to add a light blanket around them when out and about. In the house, the sleepers were fine.

abh5e8
11-07-2013, 10:12 PM
ls cotton onsies + footed pants + cotton cap (+ fleece sleeper for cold nights)
and for cute outings/church, i love the one piece sweater rompers (with feet) over a cotton onsie (and pants if its really cold).

carolinacool
11-07-2013, 10:15 PM
My DS was born in early December and he lived in footed sleepers. I totally agree about getting the zipper ones. I also didn't mine Target's Circo brand, which Had snaps just along the legs. The ones that snapped all the way up to the neck were annoying. We also had a lot of the Gerber and Carter's short-sleeved onesies. He wore those under his sleep sacks. We did have a few pairs of knit pants, and if we were just in the house we would put him in a short sleeve onesie and a pair pants with socks. But definitely mostly footed sleepers.

indigo99
11-07-2013, 10:29 PM
My boys both had big feet apparently because nothing with feet would fit them. I had lots of footed sleepers that could never be worn. We just put socks on them. I had some fleece sleep sacks with sleeves that I liked, but we swaddled with A&A blankets over onesies when they were newborns and used hats. For easy diaper changes, I really liked gowns when they were tiny - especially the ones that you can snap up to make legs so you can use it as a jumper/sleeper too. Gap also had some really nice gowns that were long and closed on the bottom to keep them warm. I did have one of those thick carrier covers with elastic around the sides and a little window in the front too. That came in handy for transporting to/from the car.

Also, I loved our Rain or Shine woobee plush blanket that tied onto the carrier or stroller handles. It has a waterproof side and is good for blocking wind and adding some extra warmth. I will say that their fleece blankets aren't as nice, but the plush is really nice. They also have some thicker, "fluffy" plush that's warmer.

Kindra178
11-07-2013, 11:22 PM
GroBags (2.5) with a long sleeved one piece underneath. Footed absorba type outfits during the day.

mikala
11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Zipper cotton footed sleepers, showercap style carseat cover, big coat for mom to help cover baby while wearing him/her in a carrier.

SnuggleBuggles
11-07-2013, 11:55 PM
ls cotton onsies + footed pants + cotton cap (+ fleece sleeper for cold nights)
and for cute outings/church, i love the one piece sweater rompers (with feet) over a cotton onsie (and pants if its really cold).

Ds2's bedroom is pretty chilly so I put him in a hat. The same night I did that, I had a niggle in my brain that that was a no-no. Sure enough, the SIDS stuff say no hat to sleep in b/c of the overheating risk. Just throwing that out there b/c I almost didn't know.

PZMommy
11-08-2013, 12:04 AM
I always dressed my babies in full outfits starting day one in the hospital. Even if we were just staying home, I had them in a complete outfit. I like the carter's outfits that had a onesie and matching pants.

athompson
11-08-2013, 12:22 AM
My winter babies spent most of their time in something like this from Carter's:
http://www.carters.com/carters-baby-girl-1-piece-pjs/V_337-599.html#cgid=carters-baby-girl-pajamas&startRow=6&navID=header&start=4
We live in the midwest and it gets quite cold, so I often layered a onesie and some socks under one the fleece footed sleepers.

azzeps
11-08-2013, 12:39 AM
Winter babies need a wardrobe of adorable HATS!!! :) Congratulations on the new baby!

klwa
11-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Mine were born in August & September, but by the time we were getting out of the house a good bit, it was winter. We used footed sleepers pretty much full time, either cotton or fleece, with onesies underneath. If it was very cold, we'd add socks under the sleeper. NJ is a good bit colder than NC, though, so you might want to do more fleece & less cotton. (My kids' skin always dried out if I used fleece much.)

Oh, and although others have mentioned loving zippered sleepers, I hated them. :) But, you probably have a good grip on what style (zippers, snaps, over the head) that you prefered with your DS. (I hate having to fish that one leg out of zippers & hate having to do the neck support required for over the head. Loved the ones that snapped all the way up because I could just lay DC down & get them dressed that way.)

JBaxter
11-08-2013, 09:23 AM
2 october babies 2 november babies. My boys were HOT none every wore a hat or they were dripping with sweat I think I had one or 2 cotton ones each for when we went out. I LOVED the one piece valour outfits. Long sleeved onesies were also a staple for them I avoided things that looked like sleeper it was just my "thing" that people took kids out in their PJ's ( ie the gerber fleece sleeper things)

mikeys_mom
11-08-2013, 12:01 PM
Lots of winter babies here considering most of the year is winter :) DS was born end of Sept, DD1 in Jan and twins in Feb.

My kids always got hot in fleece so I used lots of the one-piece cotton footed outfits from Carter's with a onesie underneath. When we went out, I just piled a couple of fleece blankets on top of the carseat and that kept them pretty warm. I had a few warm buntings for when we went out in the stroller but I always kept them in just the cotton outfit inside the bunting. They were always toasty warm when I took them out even in temps of -25C.

DualvansMommy
11-08-2013, 09:42 PM
Thanks so much!! I'll look into the footed sleepers and such. I'm going to lean towards cotton type of material and perhaps buy 3 fleeces for longer outings. As I figured footed cotton would be more than enough since I can layer underneath with onesies and blankets, if needed.

Keep the tips coming! I'm more likely to buy zippered ones vs snap style as I remember snaps were PITA for me with DS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

carolinacool
11-08-2013, 10:45 PM
I just wanted to add that we did a lot of little caps here as well. We never got any of the car seat things that some people use in cold weather. We would strap him in his seat and then tuck a warm blanket all around him, so I wanted to make sure his head was covered whenever he was outside.

scrooks
11-09-2013, 11:29 PM
I think I did more complete outfits with dd, fewer with ds1, now with ds2 he is in terry sleepers ALL THE TIME. We have fleece ones for when it gets colder.

I must be the only one who actually prefers snaps to zippers...i think the snaps are easier (and warmer)for diaper changes because then you don't have to completely open the sleeper up! Especially in the middle of the night. Ds2 sleeps in a fleece sleep sack and a cotton sleeper now that it's cold. To unzip all that in the middle of the night is a PITA to me.