PDA

View Full Version : Reflux, breastmilk, I don't know what to call this thread

megs4413
11-08-2013, 10:38 AM
My milk came in yesterday. I have to exclusively pump. Please excuse typing, I am on my phone and pumping simultaneously. I had been pumping colostrum successfully and she loved that and gobbled it up. We're also supolementinhv with formula. She has really severe reflux and gain/feeding concerns due to her cleft. The formula is thickened. Gave her a bottle of BM when it came in and she wouldn't drink it at all. She cried and cryed. Finally we have her a bottle if formula and sure enough: she drank it and went to sleep. I was crushed. Anyone have insight or advice? For now, we're mixing BM with formula. She is eating that fine. TIA!

hellbennt
11-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Hugs! 'My' board is pretty quiet, but lots! of information stored there - www.infantreflux.org/forum

Pm me once you register & I'll approve you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

KpbS
11-08-2013, 10:45 AM
I would keep mixing until she is doing a good job of eating and gaining, etc. Then try backing down on the formula and upping the amount of breastmilk.

I would definitely talk to your ped about reflux meds and start those asap. My babies had horrid reflux and literally couldn't eat w/o meds. DD needed meds plus thickened formula plus elevated sleep until 5 mo. all due to reflux.

Also, breast milk is much thinner than formula so that is something to consider when mixing, thickening, etc.

hth! and :hug:

TwoBees
11-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I would keep mixing until she is doing a good job of eating and gaining, etc. Then try backing down on the formula and upping the amount of breastmilk.

I would definitely talk to your ped about reflux meds and start those asap. My babies had horrid reflux and literally couldn't eat w/o meds. DD needed meds plus thickened formula plus elevated sleep until 5 mo. all due to reflux.

Also, breast milk is much thinner than formula so that is something to consider when mixing, thickening, etc.

hth! and :hug:

:yeahthat: to all of this. :hug:

AnnieW625
11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I would get her on some mess for the crankiness (the mess never stopped DD2's spit up, Playtex drop ins did) and I would take it day by day. Can you mix some breast mill wib the formula? Best wishes and just take it day by day.