PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 year old biting at preschool?

Pinky
11-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Anyone else have a child that started biting at school around 3 years old? I've never heard of biting at this age and thought it usually happens in much younger kids (she was never a biter before this). I am so baffled by this behavior and just don't know what to do. It doesn't happen frequently, but over the past six months it's happened about 3 times. It's happened when she is really frustrated and she acts out without thinking about her actions. For example, another child trying to take her toy.

Does anyone know how I should handle this? We've tried serious talks and taking away her fun shows etc but nothing really seems to help. It's like she does it before she thinks about it and then feels really guilty later after the fact. Her teachers talk to her about how its not allowed and have even taken her to the "office" to try to make a point.

Any advice or BTDT stories?

Thanks in advance!

Green_Tea
11-08-2013, 08:23 PM
DS didn't start biting at 3.5, but was actively a biter until he was almost 4. Nothing stopped him. It was very, very frustrating and upsetting! He eventually outgrew the behavior.

I think that impulsive kids are just more likely to bite - they can't think straight in the moment.

:hug:

Pinky
11-08-2013, 09:11 PM
DS didn't start biting at 3.5, but was actively a biter until he was almost 4. Nothing stopped him. It was very, very frustrating and upsetting! He eventually outgrew the behavior.

I think that impulsive kids are just more likely to bite - they can't think straight in the moment.

:hug:

Thanks for the reply... I'm hoping she outgrows it quickly. This is really frustrating and I just don't know what to do to fix things. It's definitely an impulse control issue!

YouAreTheFocus
11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I wouldn't say DS was ever "a biter" but he did lose it and bite a few times when he was in the toddler room. We got the book "teeth are not for biting" and it really seemed to help. He still asks me to read it, even though he's now 4 and past his biting period.

Pinky
11-08-2013, 10:25 PM
I wouldn't say DS was ever "a biter" but he did lose it and bite a few times when he was in the toddler room. We got the book "teeth are not for biting" and it really seemed to help. He still asks me to read it, even though he's now 4 and past his biting period.

Thank you for the book suggestion! I just reserved it at the library!

PZMommy
11-09-2013, 12:31 AM
My DS1 was never really a biter, but twice when he was 3 1/2 he bit another student in his class. I didn't know what to do. I just talked to him and reminded him to use his words. Both times it seemed that he was very impulsive when someone took a toy from him. Thankfully it was just those two isolated incidents.