PDA

View Full Version : My 23 month old still has a bottle

flashy09
11-09-2013, 11:30 AM
How big of a deal is this? She has two every day. Morning and night she wants her milk in a bottle only. Is it really that bad for her mouth development and cavity causing? She drinks them so fast it's like she only has a bottle in her mouth for 5 minutes every day. She will drink water or juice out of anything and sometimes the lunch time milk is accepted in a straw cup.

KLD313
11-09-2013, 11:53 AM
My 37 mo old still has a bottle. Lol. She's the same way. Won't drink milk any other way, downs in a minute and moves on. We've tried picking new cups at the store, talking about it, putting a sippy top on her bottle. None of it works. Her mouth and teeth are fine. It's not a battle I want to fight right now. She's skinny and won't eat any veggies, hardly any meat. Idk what she's existing on so I'm letting her have the bottle.

Nooknookmom
11-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Just don't let her have it a night and brush well! "I" had my bottle till I was four and DD1 was over two.

DD has zero cavities at 18 :)

Just roll with it. I nursed my second till she was four.

petesgirl
11-09-2013, 02:08 PM
I've heard even giving them a drink of water right after the milk can cut down on tooth decay. And of course brushing well. I probably wouldn't sweat it.

citymama
11-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Um, my 3.5 year old still has a bottle. She has agreed to say bye bye to it by Christmas! I wouldn't sweat it but gradually try and wean to a cup.

mackmama
11-13-2013, 08:31 PM
My almost 3yo still has a bottle LOL. I just never give it right before bed and always brush before sleep. I don't think it's a big deal. I think it's only a problem if they have it right before bed without brushing.

daniele_ut
11-17-2013, 08:28 PM
DS2 isn't using a bottle but he still drinks milk from a Munchkin soft spout sippy cup before bed. I make sure to brush his teeth well before I put him down and then I give him some water in a sippy to take to bed with him. At this point I'm more worried about getting him potty trained while he's drinking so much liquid at night than I am about cavities!

flashy09
11-17-2013, 08:55 PM
Thanks so much, I feel better! We are making a little progress and she will take a cup and straw if happy, but if she is the least bit tired or cranky she asks for a bottle. She still seems to really associate the bottle with comfort and that is what is so hard!