PDA

View Full Version : What's the rule for rescheduling bday parties?

WatchingThemGrow
11-09-2013, 03:04 PM
DS is having a bday party tomorrow, but he's really snotty and doesn't feel great. He's able to play around the house, but not with his usual exuberance. Should we go on with his party or reschedule it? It's an outdoor party (racing remote control cars in the street) and will only get colder in the coming weeks.

indigo99
11-09-2013, 03:14 PM
I think it would depend on who/how many are coming. If people have made arrangements to attend then I'd go through with it, especially if it's an outdoor event and the weather is decent. Not feeling great isn't the same as vomiting non-stop or running a high temp.

On the other hand, if it's really small with just a few relatives/people that you know well then you may check with them to see if they'd be able to reschedule for next weekend.

AnnieW625
11-09-2013, 03:29 PM
I would probably reschedule. Hope your DS feels better.

KpbS
11-09-2013, 03:51 PM
I don't think there are set rules. If he is snotty and not feeling well he most likely won't enjoy his party nearly as much and also sounds pretty contagious. For those reasons I would reschedule, even if it means jackets/coats for the rescheduled party. The boys won't mind. :)

ilfaith
11-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Aside from the cold, the other issue with rescheduling it in the coming weeks is that with the approaching holidays, people's calendars tend to fill up. If it were me, and we had a lot of people invited, I would probably give the kid some Benadryl (unless he is really feeling awful) and go on with the party.

We are invited to a birthday party tomorrow, and since they are good friends, we decided to stay in town and attend, even though it's a long holiday weekend and we were thinking of going away before the invitation arrived. I think we'd all be a little bummed out if the party was cancelled at the last minute when we could have gone to Disney World.

wellyes
11-09-2013, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't reschedule a birthday party for a mild-to-medium cold unless it is a very small affair.
When I go to a birthday party, I have to arrange for sibling childcare and basically schedule my weekend around it. I'd be annoyed to be cancelled on if the kid isn't sick-sick.

WatchingThemGrow
11-09-2013, 05:15 PM
He doesn't seem to have a fever, so we will see how he is in the morning. We are keeping him home from his celebratory fancy dinner with the grandparents bc FIL tends to get our colds given the opportunity.

Several families already had travel plans with our (oops) 6 day notice. Even with that we have 15 kids coming. (Several families with 3 each.)

If we wait, our play set will be up, so that will be good. Tomorrow, we'll just have pea gravel and a sideways play set in the driveway. :(

ahisma
11-09-2013, 08:24 PM
He's about 6 yo, right? Would you keep him home from school? I'd probably go ahead given that he has no fever. Our school expects them to be at school unless they have a fever, vomiting or just can't function - so in our case he'd be spreading it the next day at school anyway.

I hope he's feeling great in the morning!

HannaAddict
11-10-2013, 04:28 AM
With what you describe, I wouldn't reschedule, especially over a holiday weekend when people could have left town. I'd give him some Tylenol or Ibuprofen, blow his nose and let the adrenaline of having a party take over. If he just has a bad cold, I bet he will rally and be fine for the couple hours. Then let him curl up on the couch and relax. Hope it works out. And I agree with your concern about schedules, it is pretty solidly crazy for us from here on out until after New Years.

TwinFoxes
11-10-2013, 06:11 AM
With what you describe, I wouldn't reschedule, especially over a holiday weekend when people could have left town. I'd give him some Tylenol or Ibuprofen, blow his nose and let the adrenaline of having a party take over. If he just has a bad cold, I bet he will rally and be fine for the couple hours. Then let him curl up on the couch and relax. Hope it works out. And I agree with your concern about schedules, it is pretty solidly crazy for us from here on out until after New Years.

:yeahthat: Kids can rally. It would be really hard for us to make a rescheduled party in the next several weeks.

WatchingThemGrow
11-10-2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the perspectives. The party is on! Nose was completely clogged, but y'all are right. He can rally for a couple hours of 66 degree weather before below freezing temps start this week. And we have 2 parties to attend almost every weekend starting next weekend. Thanks!

I'll adopt the rule, "If you'd keep him home from school, then reschedule the party."

PZMommy
11-10-2013, 11:57 AM
It would be curtious of you though, to inform your guests he has a cold. I have a son with health issues, and even a cold could land us in the hospital for a week. I wouldn't expect you to cancel a party because your son has a cold, but we would not be able to attend. I would be really upset if we showed up to a party and saw the birthday boy had a bad cold. Typically we decline all invites if they are at a party place as they are too germy, but I tend to try and go to at home parties. You don't know what families may have another family member with health issues.

♥ms.pacman♥
11-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the perspectives. The party is on! Nose was completely clogged, but y'all are right. He can rally for a couple hours of 66 degree weather before below freezing temps start this week. And we have 2 parties to attend almost every weekend starting next weekend. Thanks!

I'll adopt the rule, "If you'd keep him home from school, then reschedule the party."
that sounds good. one kids are a little older (3 or older) personally, i'd only reschedule a party if there was fever or vomiting, just like daycare rules. my DS bday is in January and we've already had to reschedule 2 out of his 3 birthday parties so far bc of illness (fever and/or vomiting) as it is.. if i had to reschedule it for one of the DC's having snotty nose, he'd never have one. to me i see it no different than going to daycare and half the class with snotty nose anyway.

wellyes
11-10-2013, 12:04 PM

Hope they have fun!

HannaAddict
11-10-2013, 04:43 PM
It would be curtious of you though, to inform your guests he has a cold. I have a son with health issues, and even a cold could land us in the hospital for a week. I wouldn't expect you to cancel a party because your son has a cold, but we would not be able to attend. I would be really upset if we showed up to a party and saw the birthday boy had a bad cold. Typically we decline all invites if they are at a party place as they are too germy, but I tend to try and go to at home parties. You don't know what families may have another family member with health issues.
For a cold I think you have to take your chances. You could be infected just as easily with a child who was contagious and didn't have symptoms or any guest at a home party. I'd focus on hand washing for your child but not expect a host to advise guests of a cold. I'm sure this season is a hard one and sorry your son has to be more worried.