PDA

View Full Version : Would your 6 & 9 y.o. DDs enjoy...

ha98ed14
11-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Pretty girls' sheets and/or monogrammed pillow shams as a Christmas gift? This is for SIL's 2 girls. SIL is a hoarder and their rooms are not "done" or pretty. They have tons of stuff, but sheets are practical and (hopefully) would be used.

As background, SIL only buys used things. The 9 y.o. was here for ToT on Halloween and I admired her top and asked her where it was from. "Garage sale," she said. Nothing wrong with that, but I thought something new/pretty might be nice. I don't want to buy them toys.

Another Option would be pretty LLT Hanna Dresses...

WDYT?

egoldber
11-09-2013, 05:55 PM
My 6 year old wouldn't but older DD would have liked that. :) (Younger DD is all about toys and "stuff".)

What about a pretty comforter or blanket though instead? A sheet gets buried under blankets and the comforter would be a focal point of the room.

georgiegirl
11-09-2013, 05:57 PM
My DD (7.5) would like that. I agree with a cute blanket or throw for the bed as an alternative.

Pennylane
11-09-2013, 06:05 PM
Nope, although I would love it! How about some cute clothes instead ?

Ann

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ha98ed14
11-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Nope, although I would love it! How about some cute clothes instead ?

I think they would enjoy LLT Hanna dresses. WDYT?

abh5e8
11-09-2013, 06:34 PM
how about a pretty or cute patteren on the sheets? PBK or TCS have some cute kids options. i know my dc would love that as a gift.

wellyes
11-09-2013, 06:53 PM
I would get the 6 year old the dress and the 9 year old the sheets.

Green_Tea
11-09-2013, 07:02 PM
I would get the 6 year old the dress and the 9 year old the sheets.

:yeahthat:

By the time my girls were 9, they thought Hanna stuff was babyish. I agree with PPs that a throw would be really nice. There are awesome cozy throws at Target! My girls also love anything accessory-ish - fun fashion hats, bracelets, tote bags, etc.

AnnieW625
11-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I would do the sheets or pillowcases. I still use the embroidered pillow cases or the cases from some sheet sets I got as a child as spares (we had a lot of sheets growing up). I would do that over the Hanna dresses.

Twoboos
11-09-2013, 08:04 PM
My girls have been thrilled to get fun sheets in the past! A couple of years ago I got the nice fleece ones in a flowery pattern, and this year it's polka dot flannels.

SnuggleBuggles
11-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Skip clothes. They will be outgrown or possibly unworn (we have so many clothes that some stuff gets worn 0-1 times. The bedding has longevity. Also, you don't need to provide a "wow" gift. It's ok if they won't be all that excited. It'll get used.

Green_Tea
11-09-2013, 09:20 PM
I would check out that Vera Bradley deal that Melbel posted. Maybe new tote bags or lunch boxes?

Aishe
11-09-2013, 09:27 PM
My 7yo dd would love both the sheets and the LTT dress. Something monogrammed would be especially exciting for her, I think.

Sweetsunshine
11-09-2013, 09:34 PM
My DDs both chose for their birthdays to redo their rooms. No painting but new sheets, cozy comforters, vinal stickers, lamp, night light. All from Target so not too expensive but it does add up. Not sure what your budget is so all that stuff might not work. I found good deals on cute sheets at TJ Maxx.

kristenk
11-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I vote for the comfy throw idea instead. DD no longer sleeps between sheets. She made the switch when I bought a super fluffy blanket to use in her bed. She wanted to sleep on top of all of the softness! A few more blankets later now and she sleeps on top of the original soft blanket and under one of two throws, depending on how cold she is.

The other nice thing about a big throw is that they can use it on the bed or cuddled up on the couch, etc.

ETA: DD is 9yo. At 6, she would have liked a fluffy throw but would have been more open to a dress. Now, a dress would be a bit of a let-down present.

mommy111
11-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Pretty girls' sheets and/or monogrammed pillow shams as a Christmas gift? This is for SIL's 2 girls. SIL is a hoarder and their rooms are not "done" or pretty. They have tons of stuff, but sheets are practical and (hopefully) would be used.

As background, SIL only buys used things. The 9 y.o. was here for ToT on Halloween and I admired her top and asked her where it was from. "Garage sale," she said. Nothing wrong with that, but I thought something new/pretty might be nice. I don't want to buy them toys.

Another Option would be pretty LLT Hanna Dresses...

WDYT?
My DD would have loved either at that age...the monogrammed sheets and the LTT dresses....but you can get LTTs at a garage sale, the monogramming would be special. We got DD her own towel at 6 (not monogrammed, it was just a kiddie towel with owls on it) and she used to absolutely love it, so sheets, comforters or anything with their initials on them would be special for my DD at 6 and especially at 9

lalasmama
11-09-2013, 11:46 PM
At 6yo, DD would have wanted the HA dress. At 9yo, DD would love some fun "pretty to her" sheets (ie, bright colors, prints, something we wouldn't normally buy).

HannaAddict
11-10-2013, 04:24 AM
Mine all loved cozy fleece blankets our nanny made for them, one was dinosaur pattern, one firetrucks, and great print for my daughter. They use them and love them, I think it is an easy pattern or you could find something similar and even have it monogrammed. They wash up great and are cozy for the couch. I'd skip the HA dresses, my six year old was not into them by that point at all. And I don't think many kids get excited by sheet sets. But I think the blanket idea an earlier poster also mentioned, would be great.

ETA: Or do lockets, my daughter loves lockets, wants to give pretty lockets as gifts and they seem popular for both ages. And a little more lasting than other kid jewelry. Just thinking of items, that aren't toys, that my own daughter and others IRL love.

BunnyBee
11-10-2013, 11:05 AM
Even at 6, my oldest DD had very strong clothing preferences. She might have worn the dress if she liked the color/pattern. At 9, she thought the dresses were babyish. She would've thought the sheets were an odd gift at both ages, but her room is "done" and she has sheets.

I got my big kids personalized throws when Garnet Hill had them on a great sale with free monograms after Thanksgiving last year. They love those things! They get dragged to and from their rooms/living room all the time. We put on a movie--hold on, let me get my blanket! There's a basket beside the couch with the same blankets, but they're beige. :)
http://www.garnethill.com/products/18461?categoryId=10137&path=~cotton-fleece-blanket-and-throw~bedding-bath~blankets-throws~
I forget how low the price went, but I'm pretty sure it was under $30 and free ship, free monogram (even a cute little design for kids). Everyone got one. They're great blankets.

Corie
11-10-2013, 08:19 PM
I would check out that Vera Bradley deal that Melbel posted. Maybe new tote bags or lunch boxes?

Yes! Check out Melbel's deal in the Bargains section.

There is a really cute twin comforter in the sale section priced at $111.75. If you get 2 comforters, that would be $223.50.

Since the comforters are on sale, you'll save an additional 25% off. ($55.86)

Now your total is $167.64.

Type in the promotion code AUTUMN for another $30 off. ($30 off when you have $100 in your cart)

Shipping is free if order is over $75 which it is.

New total is $137.64 plus tax.

AND, you get a free tote for yourself!! :)

Forgot to mention: The comforter comes with a sham.

mom2binsd
11-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Not always popular on these boards, but given they don't seem to get new clothes, gift cards to justice might be a big hit, they have clothes, bags, jewelry, etc... My DD loves gift cards.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

KrisM
11-10-2013, 09:27 PM
My DD is 7.5 and if they were the right theme of sheets, she'd be happy.

We also did throw blankets one year for Christmas. They were a big hit and they really like having their own blanket for movies, long car rides, etc.

She'd also like other bedding things - a fuzzy pillow, themed throw, etc.

crayonblue
11-10-2013, 10:53 PM
My dd is 9 and would love bedding items. She loves blankets so I might steer that direction. She would not be happy at all about Hanna stuff. She is 100% into Justice clothing at this point.

anonomom
11-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Depending on the kids and what they're into, also check out Disneystore.com for personalized fleece throws. They have several on sale and with free personalization. My girls got them as gifts a few years ago and still love them. The 9yo might like one from the newest movie (Frozen), or at least my about-to-be-8yo was ogling all of the Frozen stuff at the store yesterday.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Depending on the kids and what they're into, also check out Disneystore.com for personalized fleece throws. They have several on sale and with free personalization. My girls got them as gifts a few years ago and still love them. The 9yo might like one from the newest movie (Frozen), or at least my about-to-be-8yo was ogling all of the Frozen stuff at the store yesterday.

Wet blanket here...I have been burned on movie and tv merchandise bc once they tire of that movie or show, they want nothing to go with the tie in stuff. Hence, my extra blanket is currently a very soft, warm Cars' blanket right now. :).

Corie
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Hence, my extra blanket is currently a very soft, warm Cars' blanket right now. :).

Well, it's better than my Jonas Brothers blanket. :)

egoldber
11-11-2013, 09:26 AM
PBTeen has these really nice throws on sale! And there is free shipping.

http://www.pbteen.com/products/pbt-essential-throw/?pkey=cgirl-decorative-pillows&

I was thinking of getting them for my girls!! They have fleece ones that we got from LLBean years ago, but these are more fun.

elektra
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I think you are definitely on to something with the monogramming too, whether it's the bedding or a jewelry box or whatever. I have an unusual name and I remember getting this customized little cash box with my name painted on it when I was about 9 and I loved it. I still remember it!
If they only get used stuff, I imagine something with their name would mean a lot.

wendibird22
11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
My DDs (4 and 6) would be thrilled with bedding. In fact, my soon to be 4yo is getting bedding for her birthday next month (moving to a big girl bed finally) and she can't hardly wait.

Twoboos
11-11-2013, 04:57 PM
I think you are definitely on to something with the monogramming too, whether it's the bedding or a jewelry box or whatever. I have an unusual name and I remember getting this customized little cash box with my name painted on it when I was about 9 and I loved it. I still remember it!
If they only get used stuff, I imagine something with their name would mean a lot.

It's funny you say that. I have a little drawstring bag with my name on it that I actually still have! :) I think it was the first item I ever found with my name spelled correctly on it and I was thrilled.