PDA

View Full Version : First bike recomendations?

bw52
11-09-2013, 09:51 PM
For a 4 year old for Christmas. With training wheels. We had lots of trikes and big wheels, but never a balance bike. I'm not even sure what size she needs and can't really have her pick one out since it's from Santa. Ideas?

Mommy_Mea
11-09-2013, 10:36 PM
We love our specialized hotrocks, DS1 got one for Christmas last year, and DS2 is getting one this year. Both were bought off craigslist.

Once you know what type of bike you want, I would measure her inseam, and then go to a bike shop that carries that bike and check to make sure she could easily straddle the bike (ie, the lowest seat height is less than her inseam). From what I understand, a 12 inch bike can mean very different seat heights for different brands.

LMPC
11-09-2013, 10:52 PM
We love our specialized hotrocks, DS1 got one for Christmas last year, and DS2 is getting one this year. Both were bought off craigslist.

Once you know what type of bike you want, I would measure her inseam, and then go to a bike shop that carries that bike and check to make sure she could easily straddle the bike (ie, the lowest seat height is less than her inseam). From what I understand, a 12 inch bike can mean very different seat heights for different brands.

I agree with all of this! DD fits very differently on a 16" REI brand bike vs a 16" specialized.

YouAreTheFocus
11-13-2013, 02:35 PM
I am also considering a bike w/ training wheels for my 4 yo Xmas, and am wondering about the size. Is it possible that the 12" Specialized would fit him, or would it definitely be 16" at this age?

chays
11-13-2013, 11:03 PM
Average sized 4YO needs a 16" bike. 12" is TINY.

georgiegirl
11-13-2013, 11:25 PM
My small 4 year old rides a 12" bike without training wheels. We will get him a 16" one in the spring. If you plan on using the training wheels for a while and your child is average size, then 16" is good.