PDA

View Full Version : how much did you pay for your fridge?

AnnieW625
11-10-2013, 10:17 AM
We don't need a new fridge immediately, but we were at Lowes last night getting other stuff and both DH'S and I liked a narrow 33" wide and 24 cu ft. 4 door French door fridge from Samsung (I think it is the narrow model of the one a few people got last year during the holidays). It was 40% off so $1799 (it's list price is $3100) I just ha e a hard time spending a lot of money on a fridge, but then the similarly sized side by side was really basic and had no deli dwarer, but a $1000 less. Our current fridge a basic 18.2 cu. ft. top fridge has been working just fine and we paid $600 for iirc in 2004.

egoldber
11-10-2013, 10:30 AM
Our current fridge came with our newly built house. We could have upgraded, but chose not to. Frankly I hate it soooo much I wish we had upgraded to something completely different.

http://www.sears.com/ge-25.9-cu-ft-side-by-side-refrigerator/p-04631153000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

It retails for $1500 but can be had readily for $1200-$1400.

The one we left behind in our old house was an older version of this one, with water but no ice in the door (which is what I prefer since we are not big ice users).

http://www.sears.com/lg-27.6-cu-ft-french-door-stainless-steel/p-04649180000P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

We got a friends&family discount because DH has a friend who works at LG North America. But I know we paid over $1000 for it.

I think that is what all the larger, stainless refrigerators cost.

brittone2
11-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Kenmore french door, water inside, ice maker in lower freezer. 1200 at the Sears Outlet. Reviews are mixed, but sadly that seems to be the case with nearly everything these days! We had PO's almond or bisque Amana SBS that was 25 years old and still working pretty well. We finally decided to replace it because the ice maker did jam pretty often, and I couldn't take the almond anymore ;)

Our fridge opening is not as large as current houses, and for us it would not be an easy fix. The Kenmore was appealing because we could get a french door in the existing opening. Many of the french door models are too large. The last few homes we've been in, we've inherited a SBS, and I hate the space limitations. We have an extra freezer, but not an extra fridge at the moment. When we had an extra fridge, the SBS didn't bother me all that much.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-22.7-cu-ft-bottom-freezer-refrigerator/p-04671303000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

BunnyBee
11-10-2013, 11:11 AM
French door absolutely worth it over a side by side. You'll be amazed at how convenient it is! I think ours was on sale for $2300 but went down to less within 30 days and Best Buy refunded the difference. We bought it before Thanksgiving (our old one died) and it went down around Black Friday? DH stalked the price.

daniele_ut
11-10-2013, 11:45 AM
We paid $1300 for a GE Profile 22 cubic foot 3 door french door fridge. It was a scratch and dent from a local appliance store and it retailed for $2500 at the time. We bought it 4 years ago and prices seem to be lower in general on French door fridges now.

meggie t
11-10-2013, 11:47 AM
We recently bought our first fridge (and our first house!). We needed a dishwasher and a fridge. I did a ton of research and as brittone pointed out, reviews are always mixed. First off, we wanted white. Also counter depth and large capacity and no water/ice in door. Basically there are 2-3 models with this criteria. We ended up with the Electrolux French Door: http://www.electroluxappliances.com/Kitchen-Appliances/Refrigerators/French-Door-Refrigerator/EI23BC30KW.aspx
We are very pleased with it thus far. The French Door, while there are some drawbacks (like having to open multiple doors when trying to find something), the pros outweighs the cons. The LED lighting is very cool! And the touch controls are very intuitive. When we purchased, there was a rebate going on. So we were out the door with installation, etc, at just over $2k.

zukeypur
11-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I stalked my fridge and jumped on it last year the week before Black Friday, as I'm sure you all remember, lol. I love that fridge, and I miss it terribly. My BFF has it now, which is fine I guess, but DAMN I miss my fridge. We had to leave it behind because it wouldn't fit in our new house, even if we were to rip cabinets out. We've since decided that we want a counter depth fridge, but it has to be shorter than 67.7 inches. That leaves us with two options: a Fisher and Paykel French door, or a F&P bottom freezer, both with ice and water in the door. From what I've found searching online this weekend, we are going to be spending just over $2000.

cvanbrunt
11-10-2013, 12:01 PM
We had a very expensive side by side in our house when we bought it and it was a piece of junk. We bought something very similar to what you are considering and it is soooooooo worth it. Same cubic feet but all the space is functional; it was like getting a much larger fridge. Take a look at the LGs, I think this is one we have http://www.designerhomesurplus.com/LG/LFX25991ST.php?ref=1355&adGroup=LGOver&gclid=CPOYvPHL2roCFeHm7AodQhkAfg
It's the counter depth that makes it so expensive but we did not pay that much.

KrisM
11-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Ours is 13 years old and was about $600 when DH bought it. It works fine and we have no plans to replace it. I'd probably replace it with something similar rather than the more expensive options. It's a basic, white, top-freezer model.

vludmilla
11-10-2013, 12:22 PM
I think we paid around $1800 (on super sale) for our Samsung french door refrigerator. I LOVE it. We've had it for about 3 years now and it is so much better than the old fridge that came with our house. I am pretty frugal but it really feels like money well spent.

o_mom
11-10-2013, 12:23 PM
We have never bought a fridge, lol. Both of them came with the houses we bought. I hated them both, but they just wouldn't die. I really, really want this one to go, but I'm also not looking forward to the cost.

We would be looking at a counter-depth model when we replace. The position of the fridge is right next to a door and it kind of sticks out. We will probably do french door as well because of the position (or SBS, but I think I want the wider fridge part). I would love to find one that fit both of those with water but no ice in the door, but I think that may be a lost cause, so something will have to give.

twowhat?
11-10-2013, 12:28 PM
We paid $900 for a GE stainless steel side-by-side with water/ice dispenser several years ago. We haven't sprung for a french door because we have a garage fridge now in addition to our kitchen fridge, and the garage fridge is a simple top freezer, single door model which is plenty wide enough for a Costco birthday cake and big enough to stick a bucket with a brining turkey inside:)

BabyBearsMom
11-10-2013, 12:34 PM
We have a French door Kenmore Elite and it was $1600. We didn't have many options that fit in our minuscule kitchen and this really maximized the space. Totally worth the cost.

crl
11-10-2013, 12:36 PM
We paid about $575, iirc. We had a very limited space to work with (original kitchen from 1926) so we had very little choice. I am perfectly happy with it though. I actually prefer a smallish fridge. I find I just create science experiments in the depths of big ones.

The only reason I would get a more expensive refrigerator is if doing so would make a significant positive difference in the layout of the kitchen (ie some of those very tall skinny fridges might fit in a tight space and they are $$$). For me all a refrigerator needs to do is keep my food cold. I don't need or even want ice or water in the door, not even an ice maker actually, thank you very much. I would put kitchen money into everything else first.

Catherine

basil
11-10-2013, 12:49 PM
We have a built-in Kitchenaid and I LOOOOVE it. It's one door with freezer drawer on the bottom. It's tall and shallow. We got it as a floor model so it was around $3k which is obviously more than most fridges, but not like a $10k subzero.

Nothing ever gets lost and even though the cubic ft is not huge, it seems to fit so much more than my old fridges. It seems to always stay neat (and we are not neat people). In our old fridge, we are always knocking things over, having spills, and "finding" old things in the back of the fridge after they'd been there for weeks. Hasn't happened since we moved.

AnnieW625
11-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Kenmore french door, water inside, ice maker in lower freezer. 1200 at the Sears Outlet. Reviews are mixed, but sadly that seems to be the case with nearly everything these days! We had PO's almond or bisque Amana SBS that was 25 years old and still working pretty well. We finally decided to replace it because the ice maker did jam pretty often, and I couldn't take the almond anymore ;)

Our fridge opening is not as large as current houses, and for us it would not be an easy fix. The Kenmore was appealing because we could get a french door in the existing opening. Many of the french door models are too large. The last few homes we've been in, we've inherited a SBS, and I hate the space limitations. We have an extra freezer, but not an extra fridge at the moment. When we had an extra fridge, the SBS didn't bother me all that much.

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-22.7-cu-ft-bottom-freezer-refrigerator/p-04671303000P?prdNo=8&blockNo=8&blockType=G8

Sounds very similar to us less the SBS, which I initially thought I would be okay with, but yesterday I realized that I would either prefer a standard top freezer, or a French door. I don't need water and ice in the door, just an ice maker, which I have never had. The Sears Outlet closest to use has the white one in stock for just over $1000. The online price is $1235 for white. I don't really care about color tbh.

We will most likely keep the current fridge as a spare for parties, and we have a 9 cu. ft. upright freezer as well.

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2013, 02:37 PM
We have never bought a fridge, lol. Both of them came with the houses we bought. I hated them both, but they just wouldn't die. I really, really want this one to go, but I'm also not looking forward to the cost.

ug.

Same. Actually, our current fridge came with our last house and we moved it to this house. Old city- people took their refrigerators; current city- people leave them behind.

We took the owners' old fridge and put it in the basement. Usually filled with drinks. I'm sure it costs way too much to operate since it's ancient.

I thought our fridge was dead- we went shopping and everything. Dh came home from shopping and gave it a kick and it's worked great for the past 7 years. He's a fridge repair genius. :). As much as I want a new one, I'm not buying till there is an amazing deal or this dies.

niccig
11-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I LOATHE the fridge that we have. It's old and I bet costs a lot of electricity to run, but the space means only 1 or 2 models will fit, and they're all side by side too, which I hate. To replace with what I want means ripping out cabinets and it'll still jut out into the walkway too much. So I put up with it for now. It still works and does it's job. I keep crossing my fingers it lasts until we're ready to redo the kitchen - about 2 years out at earliest.

Besides, we did just replace washing machine and dryer over the summer (love what we got), so I don't want any large appliance purchases right now. We'll wait for the fridge to die then figure out what we do about it.

westwoodmom04
11-10-2013, 03:26 PM
We have a Kitchenaid french door that is about three year old. We bought it with a new cooktop and over the range microwave, and got a good deal on the fridge as part of the package plus Maryland was running an energy efficiency rebate at the time. I think retail was $1800 and we played closer to $1300 after rebates/sale. It is on the smaller size but was the largest that fit in the space (use to have a side by side). I love the french door though my husband often doesn't close it properly and the alarm goes off.

JElaineB
11-10-2013, 05:06 PM
We paid just under $1500 for our Samsung French-door fridge from Lowe's in April on sale. It is a good size one - around 25 cu ft, I think. I really like it.

DualvansMommy
11-10-2013, 09:01 PM
We paid just under $1500 for our Samsung French-door fridge from Lowe's in April on sale. It is a good size one - around 25 cu ft, I think. I really like it.

This!! That's what we got last year during Black Friday deals , so we paid for it less than 1500. Think it was around 1200 after taxes and such. Love love our new fridge now !!