PDA

View Full Version : WWYD - Janie and Jack

SoCalMommy
11-10-2013, 06:45 PM
I have around $185 in Janie and Jack merchandise credit. I have had it for a couple of years now and wonder if I should try to sell it since I don't really shop there. The clothes are a little too fancy (dd is 3 and there is no way I would send her to preschool in anything that nice) and while i occasionally like some of the stuff, it really isnt my (or DD) style. It would be a great place to shop if we had any special occasions coming up in the next year but we don't. We live in California so it doesnt expire and is good as long as they are still in business.

I asked if i can use it at Gymboree since they are part of the same company but they said no. It has to be used at Janie and Jack.

I have thought I could try to sell it locally on one of my mommy boards, maybe with a discount? Or ask my friends if they are interested? It kills me that it just sits (I have tried to spend it but it hasn't worked out.)

What would you do? If you would sell it, would a discount be a good idea? How much?

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice is welcome! Thank you!

swissair81
11-10-2013, 06:51 PM
If you decide to sell it at a discount, let me know. ;)

elbenn
11-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Are you sure there isn't anything you would want there? Maybe a special occasion dress? Their clothes are so expensive, it wouldn't take long to use up that credit!

sntm
11-10-2013, 11:59 PM
I'd probably buy it too :)

egoldber
11-11-2013, 10:07 AM
Not everything is fancy.

They have cute cotton knit t-shirts and sweaters.

In the summer they have bathing suits and they are very nice.

They also have nice basics, like solid cardigans, tights, etc.

TxCat
11-11-2013, 04:52 PM
Not everything is fancy.

They have cute cotton knit t-shirts and sweaters.

In the summer they have bathing suits and they are very nice.

They also have nice basics, like solid cardigans, tights, etc.

:yeahthat:

OP, I was in a similar position a few years ago and ended up using a $500 credit over the course of a year - some cute, lightweight knit pants and shirts and skirts, and their layette pieces for new baby presents. They have some really cute cardigans and tops, especially for nice but not fancy holiday wear.

crl
11-11-2013, 06:42 PM
I would spend it. They have cute stuff. I'd use the clothes for a dressy photo shoot. Or I'd buy some of the less dressy stuff. They sell bathing suits and underwear and pjs. And here's a link to their "basics". http://www.janieandjack.com/shop/dept_category.jsp?productSizeSelected=0&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374303718788&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443472974&bmUID=1384209625570

I wouldn't spend that much on those kinds of things generally, but since you already have the store credit I definitely would use it.

Catherine

barkley1
11-11-2013, 08:57 PM
Would anything be suitable for a gift you need to give - like new baby or something? They have cute bibs, blankets and small toys.

mommylamb
11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Next time you go to a baby shower or similar event, buy your gift there.

iaam
11-11-2013, 11:23 PM
I would see if it makes sense to use for a baby gifts. If their clothing isn't your style (for the most part, it isn't mine either), I wouldn't force youself to use it. Selling on ebay is probably not a bad option but you will pay ebay's commission, which is annoying. You could also check out what a gift card reseller site (like plasticjungle.com) will give you for it.

meggie t
11-12-2013, 01:24 AM
I have been slowly chipping away at my $300 credit for 3 1/2 years now. I don't care for much of their stuff but I have been able to get gifts there and last year bought my DS his first pair of jeans from there! Their jeans are nice, wear well and aren't trendy. So this year I bought new jeans for him and did happen to find a cute summer shirt for DD.

If you feel you'll never buy anything there then I would sell it. But for me it has come in handy.

edurnemk
11-12-2013, 11:28 AM
My kids have tons of basics from Janie and Jack: knit pants, jeans, shirts, tops, cardigans, sweaters, bathing suits. And I love it for baby gifts, but I'd keep it. But otherwise I'd sell it at a discount.

AnnieW625
11-13-2013, 06:23 PM
Agree I would use at least some of it. I am actually debating one if the white or ivory dresses for a first communion dress for DD1 if I can get a 20% off coupon next spring, which will bring the dress down about $40 and cheaper than some of the dress shops here for silk dress.

I would probably only sell it if you knew the store was going out of business because there are some big J&J fans on the Gymbofriends board who would stalk that board.

I love their little boy clothes so if I had a credit and a infant to toddler boy to buy for I would use it for that.