PDA

View Full Version : ugh! red item ran in laundry and then i put in dryer without realizing - can i fix?

lmh2402
11-10-2013, 10:38 PM
i washed a new outfit of DD's in a full load of cold water wash

the outfit was red knit pants and knit top of red & white stripe

i know better!! but my head was not in the game and i was in a hurry - took everything out of wash and threw in dryer

low & behold, the red ran in the top and now the white stripes are pink.

can i fix this? could i/should i try to soak in oxiclean? i'm somewhat concerned about ruining the fabric since it's knit, but i guess it's not really wearable in the condition it's in anyway

boolady
11-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Does it look ok with the stripes red and pink?

hillview
11-10-2013, 10:51 PM
Oh no I am so sorry -- no advice.

Mom Magic
11-10-2013, 11:11 PM
I recently had a similar thing happen and rewashed the item with 2 sheets of Shout "Color Catcher." I was surprised, but all of the unwanted color totally came out and the item is like new. Worth a try. I bought it at Target.

lmh2402
11-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Does it look ok with the stripes red and pink?

no, it looks bad. the pink is uneven and runny looking

I recently had a similar thing happen and rewashed the item with 2 sheets of Shout "Color Catcher." I was surprised, but all of the unwanted color totally came out and the item is like new. Worth a try. I bought it at Target.

i'll try this - thanks!

westwoodmom04
11-10-2013, 11:34 PM
Fit color removal, available on amazon, goes in the wash. Don't do anything before that, or it won't work.

lmh2402
11-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Fit color removal, available on amazon, goes in the wash. Don't do anything before that, or it won't work.

not finding this...

rit, maybe? not fit?

westwoodmom04
11-11-2013, 12:08 AM
Yes , sorry, sloppy typing, Rit.

gummibear
11-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Rit color remover will take out ALL the color. Not just the colors that bled.

It's used to remove color from clothes before dying them. It's great if you are trying to get a *plain/solid color item white again.

DS had a white/brown striped button down shirt. It was turned pink when I washed it with some new towels while we were on holiday. I used Shout spray on the shirt (not the color catcher, just a regular stain remover), coated the shirt really, and washed it several times, but it didn't work.

I got some Rit when I got home, a few days later. It got out all the red dye that had bled onto the shirt, along with the brown tones in the stripes. End result: White button-down with yellow stripes.

If this happened today on a striped shirt, I'd try the Shout color catcher first. The Rit is always my very last try, because its so strong.

westwoodmom04
11-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Rit color remover will take out ALL the color. Not just the colors that bled.

It's used to remove color from clothes before dying them. It's great if you are trying to get a *plain/solid color item white again.

DS had a white/brown striped button down shirt. It was turned pink when I washed it with some new towels while we were on holiday. I used Shout spray on the shirt (not the color catcher, just a regular stain remover), coated the shirt really, and washed it several times, but it didn't work.

I got some Rit when I got home, a few days later. It got out all the red dye that had bled onto the shirt, along with the brown tones in the stripes. End result: White button-down with yellow stripes.

If this happened today on a striped shirt, I'd try the Shout color catcher first. The Rit is always my very last try, because its so strong.

I haven't had that problem, and I've used the Rit on multi-colored items. If you use the Shout first, the Rit is unlikely to work.

BunnyBee
11-11-2013, 11:37 AM
If you followed the washing directions on a new outfit and the stripes on it ran (versus another item running onto the new item ), I would return it. If you really like it and want to deal with the hassle, try the Color Catchers because they won't damage the item more. I wouldn't try the Rit because if it bleaches the item, you won't be able to return.

BabyBearsMom
11-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Where did you get it? I know Gymboree will take it back, they have for me before. I didn't even try to return it, I was looking at a shirt and put it back and said something like "No, the last time I got a red shirt with white sleeves, I ended up with pink sleeves." The manager was there and said "Do you still have the shirt? Bring it in, I will give you a refund, our clothes are not supposed to bleed no matter how you wash them." They really stand by the quality of their clothes.

AnnieW625
11-11-2013, 12:22 PM
Honestly I would return it because it sounds a bit defective. I always wash dark colors with cold water and I haven't hadn't an issue with them running, but then honestly I am not sure I have ever bought something that was red/white stripe. Good luck!

123LuckyMom
11-11-2013, 12:29 PM
I agree about trying to return it. A clothing item that bleeds onto itself in a cold water wash is defective! Even though you think it might have been the solid top that bled into the hat, there's no way to know unless all the other items are also pink. If not, it's likely the hat's red stripes were the main culprit, and I'd insist on a return.