PDA

View Full Version : Is this early labor and what to expect at this point?

Myira
11-10-2013, 11:51 PM
My sister started spotting yesterday, she is 39 weeks and the doctor said its bloody show and labor is inevitable anytime in the next 2 days. She has no contractions but has now started having lower back pain.

Is this early labor? What should she do at this point? Try and get as much sleep as possible until contractions start? Also a bit off topic but I was wondering if trying to pump colostrum would be a good idea at this point?

Sorry for the naive questions, but labor didn't start this way for me so I have no idea really and am anxious for her and curious.

SnuggleBuggles
11-10-2013, 11:57 PM
1. has she had an exam recently? Sometimes it isn't really bloody show but just the result of the exam.
2. for me, I didn't have bloody show till in active labor.
3. she should check and see if her back pain is coming and going. Some moms never feel the contx in the front so don't rule out looking for a pattern in back pain. Stronger, longer, closer together. when in doubt, drink a big glass of water and relax in a tub or bed for a while and see if things ease up. No easing, pay more attention. Easing- take your mind off of it.
4. She should spend a good amount of time on her hands and knees to help encourage baby into the optimal anterior position. At her next appt. she should verify what position baby is in. If posterior, that can cause a host of challenges so it's good to address it ahead of time or at least be aware of it during labor. Posterior babies can make labor longer and not follow a typical pattern. Get a clock impatient Dr. and that can lead to a c-section.
5. I see no good reason to pump colostrum. Let those breasts get all the rest they can now. :)

Myira
11-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks Beth. She started having contractions since morning and now they are quite intense, so looks like things are moving along. The baby was posterior at the last appt., hoping he has moved by now.
And she thought my idea of pumping was totally out there, which was good!

Myira
11-12-2013, 04:44 PM
My nephew arrived today, labor was long and painful and she did tear but overall everything went well. I am so excited to be an aunt and cannot wait until tomorrow when I get on the flight to meet him!

BDKmom
11-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Congratulations on your new nephew! Enjoy some sweet baby snuggles!