PDA

View Full Version : Stitch Fix?

HipMama
11-11-2013, 09:46 AM
Has anyone tried Stitch Fix?
It is a personal styling service. You fill out a "style profile" and for $20 they send you 5 items that they think you will like. If you decide to purchase 1 or more items, the $20 is taken off of the total. If you like all 5 pieces you get the $20 off plus 25% off the total. If you don't like anything you are out the $20 styling fee (they pay shipping both ways). It's not a monthly membership. You can pick if/when you want a "fix". I signed up but haven't received a box yet.

I'm in a rut. All I wear is dark jeans and a solid color t. Half my clothes don't fit yet (7m pp) and the other half are like 8 years old. I like shopping but I buy the same ol things! Has anyone tried this service or one like them? Were you happy with it?

westwoodmom04
11-11-2013, 10:26 AM
I just signed up for it a few weeks ago and also haven't go my first package yet. I too find myself buying variations on the same thing over and over again and am curious to see what they come up with. I should get a box in the next week or so and then I can update. However, I heard the service gets better as they get a sense of what you keep and what you return.

elektra
11-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Haven't heard of it. It sounds fun though!

hellbennt
11-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Kinda OT but : I love buying lucky brand (on sale of course ;) )
I also lean towards plain, but I feel like their tops are a 'step up' for me
Hth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

crl
11-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Haven't heard of it. It sounds fun though!

:yeahthat:

Looking forward to hearing what you all think!
Catherine

HipMama
11-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Me too. I feel like I can't match, that's why I stick to plain stuff. I even don't buy my dd Matilda Jane because I can't deal with the matching!

westwoodmom04
11-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Just got my first box, here's what I got:

(1) long gray cardigan -- fairly basic, but fit well. I've already got two gray cardigans, though, so this one is going back;

(2) notch neck sleeveless button down patterned shirt -- fit like a tent, so its going back

(3) striped knit dress with short sleeves -- the fit of this was actually cute, but the horizontal stripes were not flattering so back it goes;

(4) burgundy pullover shirt with henley type collar and short sleeves -- material was scratchy and I have two shirts in a similar color and style; this one was also too long but not long enough to be a tunic;

(5) tan knit moto jacket -- fit well and was cute, would have kept but I already have a brown leather moto jacket.

Most items were around $60. Not sure what to make of it as I signed up for the service to get stuff I usually wouldn't buy, but three of the five items were near identical to things already in my closet. The service is suppose to get better as it learns your likes/dislikes, so I'll go an additional few months and see if it gets better.

lovin2shop
11-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Sounds like a fun idea, sorry the items didn't work this time. Do they allow exchanges for different sizes? I can't imagine this working for me otherwise. I can easily fluctuate from a S,M, or L, due to my odd proportions at times!

westwoodmom04
11-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Sounds like a fun idea, sorry the items didn't work this time. Do they allow exchanges for different sizes? I can't imagine this working for me otherwise. I can easily fluctuate from a S,M, or L, due to my odd proportions at times!

No, they don't. I would have definitely exchanged a few things for a different color if that was an option. You either keep what you get or send it back and wait for your box (I've signed up for monthly). They do ask you to put down all your sizes, plus indicate your proportions for arms, legs, waist, etc. .

crl
11-21-2013, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the review!
Catherine

mackmama
11-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Interesting idea - and glad to read about your first box. I'd love to hear about your 2nd box if you're up to posting. Sounds like a potentially neat service.

westwoodmom04
12-16-2013, 02:10 PM
Second box arrived today. Better results this time. I'm keeping 3 pieces: green knit blazer with ruche three quarter sleeves (unusual flattering shade of green and flattering fit); black and white patterned knit shirt (wouldn't have picked based on the pattern, but looks cute on); and skinny ponte knit black pants (wouldn't have picked myself because I'm not at my skinniest, but flattering and very comfy). Going back: another black and white striped dress (seriously how many women want to wear horizontal stripes), and a black peplum top w/jeweled collar that neither fit nor flatters. If you keep all 5 pieces, you get a 25 percent discount, so maybe next time. Each piece in my box was between $60-80, so not top end, but good for trendy things that I won't wear more than a year or so.

minnie-zb
02-28-2014, 04:43 PM
Any updates on Stitch Fix? I signed up today -- completely forgot about this until this week.

westwoodmom04
03-02-2014, 10:15 AM
I have a shipment arriving next week. I skipped February as I'm pretty well stocked up on and sick of winter clothes. I'm hoping this package has spring stuff, as I'll need a pick-me-up after tomorrow's anticipated snow storm.

minnie-zb
03-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Let me know what you think. I'm busy preparing for the storm too -- they are saying it is going to be a doozy.

My first package comes in April -- I used your link so you should get credit for me. :)

westwoodmom04
03-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Let me know what you think. I'm busy preparing for the storm too -- they are saying it is going to be a doozy.

My first package comes in April -- I used your link so you should get credit for me. :)

Thank you!

essnce629
09-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Any more updates? Anyone else start using the service? I heard a story about Stitch Fix on NPR yesterday and got interested. I know there's now several different online personal shopper subscription services for women's clothing, but I think Stitch Fix is still the most popular.

georgiegirl
09-10-2014, 07:31 AM
I signed up and got my first box last month. All of the items fit, but I only kept one, and orange kut from the kloth dolman sweater. Other things in my box were knit ponte pants (I already have almost identical ones), a striped cardigan with some weird detailing in the back (duck tail), a blue button down mixed media shirt (it was just okay, and I would have kept it if it was $20), and a bracelet (cute but it kept getting caught on things when I was trying the clothes on, so I didn't think it was practical.). I should be getting my next shipment next week. I did give a lot of feedback, which is supposed to help. And you can link your style page on Pinterest, so your stylist gets an idea of what you like.

hillview
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM
I signed up and had 3 shipments. I kept 1-2 items total. It wasn't worth it IMO. The shirt I kept has held up well in the washer

westwoodmom04
09-10-2014, 09:48 AM
I signed up and had 3 shipments. I kept 1-2 items total. It wasn't worth it IMO. The shirt I kept has held up well in the washer

I've changed my shipments from monthly to every other month. Unfortunately, the feedback hasn't really helped -- I liked my first few shipments more than the later ones. However, the stuff I keep I get lots of compliments on, so I think I'll keep going for a while longer.

cookiemonster80
09-10-2014, 10:13 AM
I had 1 shipment and was sorely disappointed. I was very specific in what I wanted and it's like the stylist didn't even look at my comments- yeah I would have kept a couple things in the box but I was so peeved that it was nothing like I requested that I just sent everything back.

endlessheather
09-11-2014, 01:43 PM
My first box is supposed to ship behpginning of Oct. I have a few friends using it & I love some of the things they've got so I'm hopeful.

hillview
09-11-2014, 07:21 PM
I had 1 shipment and was sorely disappointed. I was very specific in what I wanted and it's like the stylist didn't even look at my comments- yeah I would have kept a couple things in the box but I was so peeved that it was nothing like I requested that I just sent everything back.
:yeahthat: they dont listen

twowhat?
09-11-2014, 09:05 PM
:yeahthat: they dont listen

I thought the point of this was to try some stuff outside of your comfort zone? Or does this go beyond that? Like if you know FOR SURE that empire waists are hideous on you and you request that you don't get anything with an empire waist, and they send it anyway?

hillview
09-11-2014, 09:15 PM
I thought the point of this was to try some stuff outside of your comfort zone? Or does this go beyond that? Like if you know FOR SURE that empire waists are hideous on you and you request that you don't get anything with an empire waist, and they send it anyway?
right it is this. Like I need a vneck and don't wear yellow or pale green since you have yellow undertones and you get round collars in pale green

HipMama
10-29-2014, 11:36 AM
I'm the OP and finally got around to signing up for my first box. It is supposed to be here on the 12th. I'm excited for it. I hope I get some things that I like.

ahisma
10-31-2014, 11:39 PM
I've tried 2 boxes and only kept on item. The second included a dress so shapeless that a literal potato sack would have been a step up. It seriously looked like something off the Walmart rack, I was baffled. Overall, my main gripes are that the quality is sub-par and the styles just aren't what I'm after.

I am trying a third box though. I have friends who have had great successes and I do love the items that they get. I made a note that quality fabric is important to me, I hope that helps with some of my issues. I also made an extensive pinterest board.

kmkaull
11-06-2014, 11:59 PM
I've used Stitch Fix for about 8 months and really like it. I started because I was post partum and needed some fresh things for my closet. It can be hit and miss. Some things I have loved and wear multiple times a week. Other things were immediate NO's and sent back. My advice is to be very specific in your feedback. If you hate skinny jeans, you need to spell it out. If you hate cropped sweaters, tell them. I have found that the more detail you give, the better the response.

Also, do make a good Pinterest board for your stylist. Keep it updated with comments.

If you find a stylist you like, request that same stylist the next time.

It is fun and I've added some good things to my wardrobe.

HipMama
11-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I got my box!! I loved everything and everything fit great! I got:
Horseshoe print infinity scarf
A fab pair of dark skinny jeans that fit perfectly!!
A cool black & white stripe and mustard color blocked shirt. Sounds ugly and I wasn't sure about It but once I put it on I loved it.
A cute teal sweater/top
A asymetrical grey cardigan.
My stylist included a sweet note and instructions on how to wear each item different ways. I was really excited to see the horseshoe scarf as I wrote in my style profile that I ride hunter/jumpers and liked equestrian things. My only "issue" is the cost. If I keep all 5 items my total is $225. Wayyy more than I would spend on myself. Ever. I'm still debating with myself over what to do. I'm really glad I signed up and will order another box for sure. Maybe a few months down the road.

Sweetsunshine
11-13-2014, 09:11 PM
Never heard of this but I'm intrigued. Maybe I'll start a new pinterest board and try it out once I pin a good amount of outfits. Hopefully that will help the stylist.

HipMama
11-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Never heard of this but I'm intrigued. Maybe I'll start a new pinterest board and try it out once I pin a good amount of outfits. Hopefully that will help the stylist.
I only had like 3 outfits pinned and my stylist did an awesome job. It's free to join and fill out a profile, you only have to pay the $20 when you decide to order a box.