PDA

View Full Version : Would you wear boots that are big around the calf?

AnimalBabe
11-11-2013, 09:50 AM
So a family member bought me the most gorgeous pair of black sued boots last winter. They are so cute! I never wore them though and intended to try to exchange them b/c the tops around my calves are just too wide, but I missed the return window. I guess I have skinny legs but no tall boots seem to work with me. Anyway, they don't cling to my legs, instead being maybe 1.5 inches too wide up top. I think they might still look ok paired with a mini skirt and tights or with tight black leggings..but even my husband who never tells me the truth said "are they supposed to look that big up top?" Ugh. So would it look weird to wear these? Do boots usually fit everyone perfectly on top? How do you even know how to find boots that fit skinny legs?

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2013, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't. I have skinny calves and won't consider boots that gape. I hard an analogy once that it looks like an umbrella in an umbrella stand and I keep thinking that when it happens. However, you own these boots now so you could find a cobbler. They can do amazing things to make shoes and boots work. If it weren't an inch and a half I'd probably just wear them but that's just too much in my book. But, my book could be weird so let's see what others say. :)
Eta- I spent the weekend IRL and only boot hunting. I need like 13.5-14" calf circumference. I tried a bunch on and online some places let you filter by calf circumference and most all at least list it in the description.

AnimalBabe
11-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the reply, SnuggleBuggles. Rats, I had hoped you'd say the opposite. ;-) I didn't think it looked that good either with how big they are. Probably a very dumb question, but is a "cobbler" the same thing as a regular shoe repair business? I can't imagine what they could do to make the top smaller. Hmm. Have you ever had this done?

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Yeah, a shoe repair place. :). I know my guy can work miracles but I've never asked about too big boots. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

TxCat
11-11-2013, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the reply, SnuggleBuggles. Rats, I had hoped you'd say the opposite. ;-) I didn't think it looked that good either with how big they are. Probably a very dumb question, but is a "cobbler" the same thing as a regular shoe repair business? I can't imagine what they could do to make the top smaller. Hmm. Have you ever had this done?
If you have high-end shoe stores in your area, call and ask who they recommend for shoe or boot repairs. They won't necessarily steer you someplace expensive, but they will steer you towards someplace that's really good.

And yes, with the gap that you are describing, I would try to get them fixed.

AnnieW625
11-11-2013, 01:57 PM
May I ask what brand they are? I have large calves (16") and need some large calf boots.

If it were me and they were too big I would get them fixed.

AnimalBabe
11-11-2013, 02:24 PM
May I ask what brand they are? I have large calves (16") and need some large calf boots.

If it were me and they were too big I would get them fixed.

I think they're Calvin Klein. I called one local shoe repair place already and they said they don't do anything like that to make boots smaller.

niccig
11-11-2013, 03:19 PM
I think they're Calvin Klein. I called one local shoe repair place already and they said they don't do anything like that to make boots smaller.

I read this on You look fab blog...maybe it's an option for some outfits so you can wear the boots. Maybe tucking in jeans will help fill the gap too.

http://youlookfab.com/2013/11/04/close-the-gap-with-boot-liners-and-leg-warmers/

brittone2
11-11-2013, 03:21 PM
It may not fit your personal style, but if you like them and want to try it, look at some boot socks/leg warmers to fill the gap. It may be worth trying before giving up on them completely.

I'm not wild about the styling in some of these pics, but I think there are variations of this that are cute. http://youlookfab.com/2013/11/04/close-the-gap-with-boot-liners-and-leg-warmers/

Pinterest has the occasional cute version of it too. Maybe search for boot socks or legwarmers on pinterest.

eta: sorry, must have crossposted with Nicci.

sariana
11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Try a leather store. Depending on how the boots are put together, it may be possible to reseam them. A leather store might know how to do this, or whom to contact.

abh5e8
11-11-2013, 09:34 PM
op, i'm also going to suggest some "leg warmers" i have some in black. i wear them with black tights and my black boots that gap at my calves. the black on black (on black) makes the leg warmers pretty subtle, but they still help to fill in that "empty space."

buuuut....now i'm off to call the cobbler!! what a great idea to all the pps. i never thought about it. but they have some gathers at the back, are these soft black boots, so maybe there is hope?

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Sofft-Flora-Black-Leather-Boots/4102756/product.html

they are so soft and comfy...just gap around my skinny calves.

(other option: start doing calf raises every night before bed!)

okinawama
11-11-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd say while it's not ideal, it absolutely wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I live in a small town, and finding a cobbler would involve at least a 3 hr drive, and right now, gaping boots aren't worth that kind of time and $ for me. I'd much rather wear them with a slight gape in them, than not wear them at all. I have at least 3 pairs of boots that are too big around the calves, and if those cute boot socks work with the outfit, great! If not, I don't bother.

So, I say wear them!