PDA

View Full Version : Any ornament-making kits you love?

buttercup
11-11-2013, 11:38 AM
i am not crafty (though have recently come to possess a hot glue gun) but a family memeber has asked for an ornament, and I would like to "make" one. Barely home-made is fine. Any cool kits you may have come across, on etsy or otherwise? Many thanks in advance.

lalasmama
11-11-2013, 11:45 AM
We love borax snowflakes. I'm on my phone, and have no idea how to post links, so google "snowflake borax". Little labor, sparkly cute returns. Get the kids involved, and make them for everyone! Our family LOVED them!

brittone2
11-11-2013, 02:08 PM
We have a group of friends who enjoy exchanging handmade gifts. Last year and again this year I've made beeswax ornaments. You can buy the beeswax pellets from amazon, and then I just melt in a double boiler (old pan I no longer use filled with water, and then I use a clean can inside of it to hold the wax as it melts). Basically you melt the wax, pour into a candy mold, insert a string or make a hole, and that's about it. I pop them in the freezer until they pop out pretty easily. Last year I had lollipop molds, so I could lay the string in the space for the stick. This year the molds I'm using have an indentation for a hole, although I still have to go back through once they are set to get the hole to go all the way through the ornament. I found candy molds on amazon that represent the 12 days of Christmas. With lights behind them, the beeswax ornaments have a really pretty glow.

I wouldn't do that for one ornament, but if you have any interest in making more of them for yourself or family/neighbors, it isn't that hard. I was doing it yesterday while taking care of other kitchen tasks and reading the BBB ;) It takes some time, but it is the kind of thing where you can do some other stuff in between steps.

Maybe you'll be making it with your own beeswax one of these days ;)