PDA

View Full Version : Another Ortho Question--Damon Braces

baymom
11-11-2013, 12:43 PM
I posted a month ago about the use of palate expanders, as I began to research orthodontists for DD. Well, we have now visited 4 practices and have narrowed it down to two that she and I both loved and that come highly recommended by friends. One doctor uses traditional braces with an expander (which I am no longer scared of! :)) and the other uses something called a "Damon" brace (which won't require an expander).

The use of expanders is now a non-issue to me, after learning more about them. I am completely comfortable with them. From what I understand, though, is that traditional braces have a fixed wire and use the elastic rubber bands around each bracket to help move the teeth. The Damon braces don't use rubber bands and the wire is not fixed. The brackets are more like 'doors' that allow the wire to slide and move teeth in a more gentle way. The main difference seems to be that perhaps the Damon braces are more gentle, have a potentially quicker treatment time and fewer opportunities to collect plaque/stain around the bracket (since there is no rubber band). Am I missing something?

The Damon braces are about $1,500 more expensive than the traditional braces and our insurance benefits have a lifetime cap on orthodontics that is pretty low, so we will be paying for a lot of this out of pocket. Are they worth it? Has anyone used the Damon braces and what are your thoughts? TIA!

willow33
11-11-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm very curious too!

baymom
11-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Bumping

minnie-zb
11-11-2013, 05:13 PM
We have Damon braces. I didn't know that's what they are called. I just went and checked out my ortho's website. They worked really well and we did not have any stained teeth even though my daughter was/is not the best about brushing. That's a whole thread in itself. My youngest will be getting them in December. I have no idea about the cost -- ours seemed really reasonable and we didn't question. Honestly I did not get multiple quotes (embarrassed to admit this).

BunnyBee
11-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Our orthodontist uses Damon braces as well. I was amazed by how long you go between appointments with them! No stains on my oldest's teeth, and the braces were on for 15-18 months.

okinawama
11-11-2013, 10:28 PM
I had Damon braces as an adult, and was incredibly happy with my results. I have a nice wide smile with beautifully straight teeth. I had zero staining, never had a bracket brake off and had them on 18 months start to finish. My sister works as an orthodontist assistant, and she highly encouraged me to go the Damon route.

baymom
11-11-2013, 10:37 PM
I had Damon braces as an adult, and was incredibly happy with my results. I have a nice wide smile with beautifully straight teeth. I had zero staining, never had a bracket brake off and had them on 18 months start to finish. My sister works as an orthodontist assistant, and she highly encouraged me to go the Damon route.

I'm glad to hear the happy feedback about Damon braces...I think we are leaning that way, too. Can you share any specific insights/reasons your sister gave you to go the Damon route?

baymom
11-11-2013, 10:38 PM
Our orthodontist uses Damon braces as well. I was amazed by how long you go between appointments with them! No stains on my oldest's teeth, and the braces were on for 15-18 months.

Hooray for no staining!! I have to say, the going longer between appointments part of it definitely appealed to me!:tongue5:

daniele_ut
11-11-2013, 10:55 PM
DS1, who just turned 9, is getting his Damon braces off this week. He has had them for a year and we have been VERY pleased with the results. He had very little discomfort after appointments. They have definitely been more gentle than my braces were as an adult.