PDA

View Full Version : HOW much per plate????!!!!!!

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
We got an invitation to DD1's school's Christmas banquet. Per plate minimum donation is…$1,250!!!!!!!!!

We are not going. And we don't feel one bit bad about it. Honestly, I would rather donate $2500. Something doesn't sit well with me. I guess because I know that 60% of the families at this school are on financial aid and I think this sort of event majorly alienates people. It just seems to be a gathering for the wealthy families.

But, I grew up poor so I know that colors my view.

Well, I guess I should just be happy that families are willing to donate the big bucks cause it is an awesome school and gets huge donations each year that make it even better.

P.S. If we did go I could wear my new TJMaxx dress, LOL!!!!!

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Ouch!!!!

I charge $35/ person for our fundraiser and that price alienates our families (I think the school has about 40% free/ reduced lunch).

I hope you can find somewhere to wear your new dress. :)

Staraglimmer
11-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Oh my goodness! Our fundraiser was $300 a couple and that made it impossible for our family to attend! That was only admission to a auction where we couldn't afford anything, but over $1,000 is pure crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

HannaAddict
11-11-2013, 01:43 PM
That is totally nuts and I've never heard of anything so high. That is major political fundraiser price, not a school fundraiser. Our private school auction is about $100 per person and that is dinner and wine at the Four Seasons Hotel. The priciest school in our city is slightly more for their big fundraiser, $150 a person. Who thought that up for your school, it seems totally crazy and bad as a policy. I wouldn't do it even if I could, sorry.

hillview
11-11-2013, 01:44 PM
Is that not perTABLE? WOW.

Neatfreak
11-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Yes, this.

My kids were in private school for a few years, and none of the fundraising was priced higher than a nice dinner out.

MMMommy
11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
:47: Wow. That seems ridiculous for a Christmas dinner fundraiser for a school! There better be a damn good party favor!

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 01:52 PM

It's per plate. And apparently it is well attended every year? DD1's school has quite a number of NFL and major league baseball player families and millionaires of all sorts. Last year the spring auction for a parking spot went for $10K.

DH and I are comfortably financially and DH is growing his business but DD1's friends are in a whole different league…

Maybe I won't pick her up from school in my flannel pj's this year, LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

ChristinaLucia
11-11-2013, 01:55 PM
WOW! Are you kidding? That is insane. I thought ours was crazy at $250 per couple.

niccig
11-11-2013, 02:00 PM
It's per plate. And apparently it is well attended every year? DD1's school has quite a number of NFL and major league baseball player families and millionaires of all sorts. Last year the spring auction for a parking spot went for $10K.

DH and I are comfortably financially and DH is growing his business but DD1's friends are in a whole different league…

Maybe I won't pick her up from school in my flannel pj's this year, LOLOLOLOL!!!!!

Wow..that is a HUGE difference. DS's old school was not that exclusive thankfully. We had $100 tickets to a silent auction and things were priced from $20 and up. Some things went for more eg tickets to shows or local events. There was never a feeling of the haves and have nots that a $1250 per plate event would create. This is probably their major fundraiser and hopefully other events are more inclusive for all to participate.

georgiegirl
11-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Really? That's insane!!!!

Indianamom2
11-11-2013, 03:11 PM
WOW! Dh and I went to a fundraiser that sounds a lot like that last year, but I don't think even this was that expensive and the school that the fundraiser was for is the elite one in our area. We only went because Dh is the rep from the bank that handles their accounts. So we went for free! Still, they were auctioning off things like boats and cars and stuff that we couldn't even dream of bidding on.

Globetrotter
11-11-2013, 03:12 PM
My goodness! I have never heard of such a thing in an elementary school!

wencit
11-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Are you sure that's not a typo?! :eek:

zukeypur
11-11-2013, 03:37 PM
I was positive that was a typo as well. That's INSANE!!!!

HannaAddict
11-11-2013, 03:59 PM
It is insane even with NFL players. Heck, Bill Gates and other early Microsofties' kids go/went to school here and there isn't that expensive of an event you can attend. We don't auction parking spots, but the class projects for up to $10k, but tickets to the event are still a fraction. I guess California is on a different level! Wow. Is there no way it is really $125 a ticket?

Twoboos
11-11-2013, 04:02 PM

That was my first thought, too! Threw a 0 on there by accident.

That is insane.

tabegle
11-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Holy crap. Things like that make me think about who I want my kids to hang out with. With prices like that, maybe I'd start looking for financial assistance myself! :)

BunnyBee
11-11-2013, 04:04 PM
That's insane, even for an exclusive private school! Insane.

SnuggleBuggles
11-11-2013, 04:41 PM
I would love to see their financials. How much are they spending on the event? How much do they raise in donations?

MamaSnoo
11-11-2013, 04:44 PM
It is insane even with NFL players. ......the class projects for up to $10k, but tickets to the event are still a fraction. I guess California is on a different level! Wow. Is there no way it is really $125 a ticket?

:yeahthat: Ours is $150 for a couple. Class projects go from $2K-10K depending on the projects and the crowd that year. Parking spots go for a few grand as well.

Our school is not over the top affluent, but we have had a few regional celebs with kids there and major politician's kids.

Ceepa
11-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Do they assume everyone in the school is extremely well-off? If not, they might want to consider a more private donation route.

elektra
11-11-2013, 05:33 PM
That does seem really divisive.
I have only been a part of a private school fundraiser when my college boyfriend worked at a private school where tons of celebrities' kids went. But they also had scholarships and just "regular" kids too who I am sure had working parents who still had lots of bills to pay.
I just looked up their fundraising deal because I was curious and it looks like they do have one big event. But there are no minimums. It's all cash donations of your choosing. They suggest $25-$10,000. And if they still do it like they did years ago, it is sort of like a big cocktail party with a bunch of auctions and raffles vs. a per plate dinner. I remember that it did get competitive with the donations. One family would donate their Martha's Vineyard home for a week, another would donate the use of their private jet. But at a set amount per plate, it totally alienates people who could not swing an extra $2500 at the holidays. So yeah, instead of a cocktail party for everyone, it's the rich people's club. Lame.

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 05:53 PM
They do have a spring auction that is affordable. We will hit that one!

And I know that they receive huge donations throughout the year. If these types of events keep the tuition "reasonable" then I am OK with them. They do seem polarizing to me but perhaps the thought is that different people will go to the different events? Maybe if they kept things "fair", the money wouldn't come in like it does? Not sure.

Last year out of a class of 100 seniors, the college scholarship total was in the millions and every Ivy League school was represented. We moved DD1 to this school because she needed to be challenged and to enjoy school again, rather then being bored, and this school most definitely does that for her. She loves it.

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 05:54 PM

I'm sure! I asked one of DD's classmate's mom and it is most definitely $1,250!

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 05:57 PM
I would love to see their financials. How much are they spending on the event? How much do they raise in donations?

I vaguely remember looking at the financials but can't remember now! Tuition covers all of their operating costs 100% and all the extra donations go to expanding/improving/adding.

Binkandabee
11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
That is nothing short of insanity. I'm always baffled by the cost of things in other parts of the country. My DD's school fundraiser dinner didn't even COST $1,250.00 to put the whole thing on. Guess that's why tickets were $10.00 per person or $40.00 for a family, not matter how many.

specialp
11-11-2013, 09:03 PM
That does seem really divisive ....
..... But at a set amount per plate, it totally alienates people who could not swing an extra $2500 at the holidays. So yeah, instead of a cocktail party for everyone, it's the rich people's club. Lame.

Agree. That seems so odd and divisive, like a rich people's fundraiser and then a spring fundraiser for the ... umm, "others" who happen to go here. Just odd. I'm curious how much $ the more affordable one brings in vs. this one.

boolady
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
Perhaps they're looking for corporations or other charitable donors to buy seats. Who do they solicit to attend?

MamaMolly
11-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Holy crap! I'll never complain again about Lula's KINDER graduation costing $75. Ok, maybe not never, but I'll sure think of you!

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Perhaps they're looking for corporations or other charitable donors to buy seats. Who do they solicit to attend?

I bet you are right!!!! I am going to poke around and see what I find out but I think this would make a lot of sense. I do NOT get the impression from this school that there is a divisive atmosphere so this whole thing threw me for a loop. Perhaps they include the families in the invites (we got an invitation) but the primary target is corporations. I'm gonna figure this out. :)

crayonblue
11-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Holy crap! I'll never complain again about Lula's KINDER graduation costing $75. Ok, maybe not never, but I'll sure think of you!

Ha, ha, well, it's good to be remembered for something. :)

KpbS
11-11-2013, 11:24 PM

Yes, end of the year financial giving--some need to make those gifts so I can see why if it is more targeted to wealthy families/corporations.

BabbyO
11-18-2013, 05:51 PM
Good grief. I couldn't even afford to use the bathroom in that school!

MelissaTC
11-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Wowser!

Our old school was $150 per couple. Parking spots went for $5k or so. We skipped the last one. I wrote a check for $100 and called it good. Things were better when we had our NHL coach and all the goodies he was able to bring in. I'm not paying $19k for a weekend at the Outer Banks, no matter how gorgeous the house is!

lovebebes
11-24-2013, 05:15 AM

this is too funny. same thing happened in DD2's school with the 10K parking spot. i wonder if our dds are in the same school.