PDA

View Full Version : Your review(s) of "Charlie Brown Thanksgiving," "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmas," &

ourbabygirl
11-11-2013, 03:07 PM
"Mickey's Twice Upon a Christmas?" I was thinking of having a little movie night with our kids (3 & 5) and our 4 year old neighbors & their parents; just wondering if you think they're appropriate for this age group? The Amazon reviews seem pretty good, but at least in the "Once upon a Christmas" one, some people mentioned that it made their kids question the idea/ existence of Santa. Should we skip that one and just do the "Twice upon a Christmas" one (I bought all of these in VHS at a recent consignment sale for really cheap), or would they need to see the "Once" one first to be able to understand the "Twice" one?
Also wondering if the Charlie Brown one is age-appropriate, or if it has bad language (in another Charlie Brown movie, there's a lot of the kids saying 'stupid,' 'dumb,' etc.). I can preview them soon, but wanted to send out a little e-mail invite today.

Thanks for your help! :)

wendibird22
11-11-2013, 03:26 PM
We showed CB Thanksgiving to the kids last night. They enjoyed it. I was only half paying attention so I can't comment if there was any bad language in this one. My kids always point out when the say "stupid" in the other CB movie since they know we don't permit them to say it. They didn't say anything last night so I'm guessing this one must be "stupid" free.

jam224
11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
CB Thanksgiving is not "stupid" free, unfortunately. In the opening scene, Lucy wants CB to kick the football and he says, "You must really think I'm stupid."

sariana
11-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Lucy uses "bad" language in most, if not all, of the Charlie Brown movies. If that is a problem for you, I would skip those.

What about "Mickey's Christmas Carol"?

I have not seen either of the other Mickey ones you mention.

wildfire
11-11-2013, 03:48 PM
You don't need to see "Once" to understand "Twice", it's a series of stories. Definitely no questioning Santa in this one, since Santa is featured in two of the stories. I know the story in the "Once" that makes kids question Santa...Pete the cat tells Max, Goofy's son, that Santa doesn't exist. Goofy tries to change his mind, and Max catches him dressing up as Santa. In the end, he does believe in Santa again, and my kids didn't question it when they saw it at that age, but I could see other kids doing that.

Twice has 5 stories, the first is Minnie and Daisy getting jealous of each other at a skating exhibition and try to one up each other (and act snotty about it) but they end up making up. The second is Huey, Dewey, and Louie breaking in to the North Pole in order to add themselves to Santa's nice list and finally understanding what Christmas is about after almost getting it cancelled. The third is Max, now a teenager, bringing a girl home for Christmas to meet his dad and not wanting to be embarrassed by his dad's goofy behavior. The fourth is Donald Duck being grumpy and wanting to stay home but gets dragged out to the mall at Christmas time by Daisy and his nephews and eventually finding the Christmas spirit. The last one is Mickey gets upset with Pluto after Pluto accidentally ruins his Christmas decorations. Pluto runs away and ends up at the North Pole sort of as a mascot for the elves who take care of the reindeer. Mickey is upset and wants Pluto back, and they are eventually reunited by Santa.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2013, 04:34 PM
I honestly hate the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving show. It bothers me that even Charlie Brown's parents don't seem to give a rat's behind that he's not with them for Thanksgiving. That always upset me as a kid, so I refuse to watch it as an adult. (I also find the overall storyline to be really weak and kind of overkill. The only part about it that doesn't bother me is the toast & popcorn for Thanksgiving dinner. *shrug*)

We watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! and Charlie Brown Christmas every year, though. I am especially fond of the Christmas special, but they do have a lot of the use of the term "blockhead," among other things, so some families may find them in poor taste. If you don't care for any kind of put-downs, I'd skip Peanuts-related anything altogether.

No experience with the "Once Upon ..." and "Twice Upon ..." Disney collections, but it sounds like PPs have that one covered!

bnme
11-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Love "Twice". My kids have been watching it since they are about 3, maybe younger. I think it's a great choice for that age group. Lots of music and not too deep a storyline. Great Christmas spirit. Not a huge fan of CB for that age group.

ourbabygirl
11-11-2013, 05:34 PM
Awesome; thanks so much, Everyone! Especially for the detailed storyline, wildfire! :bowdown:

TwinFoxes
11-11-2013, 05:40 PM
I really disliked the Minnie/Daisy story in twice. They were acting jealous and catty. Yeah, they make up at the end, but it's not like that erases all of their "bad" behavior. I don't need DDs picking up snotty comments or learning to be jealous. So far so good on that front. (I saw the DVD years ago pre-kids, so maybe it's not as bad as I remember).

I think all of the Charlie Brown movies feature Lucy calling someone a mean name.

buddyleebaby
11-11-2013, 06:11 PM
I honestly hate the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving show. It bothers me that even Charlie Brown's parents don't seem to give a rat's behind that he's not with them for Thanksgiving. That always upset me as a kid, so I refuse to watch it as an adult. (I also find the overall storyline to be really weak and kind of overkill. The only part about it that doesn't bother me is the toast & popcorn for Thanksgiving dinner. *shrug*)

We watch It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! and Charlie Brown Christmas every year, though. I am especially fond of the Christmas special, but they do have a lot of the use of the term "blockhead," among other things, so some families may find them in poor taste. If you don't care for any kind of put-downs, I'd skip Peanuts-related anything altogether.

No experience with the "Once Upon ..." and "Twice Upon ..." Disney collections, but it sounds like PPs have that one covered!

The reason his parents don't make dinner is because they're going to his grandma's at four. In the end, his friends are invited too. I always assumed his parents were the ones driving the station wagon they all pile into at the end!