PDA

View Full Version : Orgasms and the show "Masters of Sex"

american_mama
11-11-2013, 08:09 PM
Dh and I have been watching the Showtime show "Masters of Sex," based on lives and research of the sex researchers Masters and Johnson. According to the show, their early research focused a lot on male and female orgasms, and make it clear this is undiscovered territory in 1957. They say things that I wonder about. Specifically, in a recent episode, a woman with a nearly non-existent sex life says she doesn't know if she's ever had an orgasm and Virginia says "You would know." Do you agree? I do not. I think some women don't know if a sensation is an orgasm or not, especially if that sensation occurs infrequently.

Both in the show and in real life, they conducted research with real humans in a lab, who masturbated to orgasm or had sex with assigned partners. They even had a vibrator (although I don't know if it actually vibrated), presumably just for the women. I can believe that the people willing to volunteer for the study leaned on the sexually free side, but the series also portrays a high level of sexual ignorance at the time. I would suspect that many women in the study had never seen a vibrator before and I would think lack of familiarity would reduce the number of women having an orgasm with a vibrator. The setting also didn't help - the solo subjects are on a hospital bed, in a hospital room, hooked up to a few monitors, and initially with Masters and Johnson in white coats observing in the same room. The show shows them later observing behind a glass window. I just think it shows orgasms as a simple mechanical process - provide the tools and it will happen - and I don't think it is that straightforward for a lot of women. Maybe it is for a lot of men and a few women, but not for most women, I don't think.

What do you think? On the flip side, I wonder if I am making female sexuality too narrow.

Clarity
11-11-2013, 09:43 PM
I think if someone is not sure if the have had an orgasm, they probably have not. I did not when I was in my young 20's and if you asked me then I would have said, "I don't know." Now that I do, and multiples, there's no way I wouldn't know.
As for the tools, once you know what stimulation your body needs, I think all you need is intent and sharp focus. You have to be comfortable and confident. However, someone who is repressed or may have never had the experience would have trouble, I think, performing on level. There is a ton of research on M&J that I bet would be interesting reading.

wellyes
11-11-2013, 09:55 PM
They found dildos used by cave people. It may have been odd to the particular demographic of the characters in the show, but then again, maybe not.

lizzywednesday
11-11-2013, 10:35 PM
The M&J studies are VERY interesting, as are the Kinsey reports.

If you want a good overview, I really recommend reading Mary Roach's book Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex: http://www.amazon.com/Bonk-Curious-Coupling-Science-Sex/dp/1480532932

As for orgasm, the way we're socialized to look at sex can impact whether or not we feel or understand we feel orgasms, but not everyone orgasms from intercourse. (I didn't in my 20's; TMI or not, I just had no idea how to get off while with a partner because I was hung up on the idea that I was a "good girl" and that really hampered the way I thought about sex. The book The Good Girl's Guide to Bad Girl Sex helped. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Good-Girls-Guide-Girl-Indispensible/dp/1590771281/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384223815&sr=1-1&keywords=the+good+girls+guide+to+bad+girl+sex ... and, honestly, a book like THAT wouldn't have been possible without either Kinsey OR Masters & Johnson!)