PDA

View Full Version : This is what a real "post baby" body looks like

goldenpig
11-12-2013, 05:39 AM
I love how gutsy this lady is. And funny too! As a post-3 kids apple, this really resonates!
This is what a real "post baby body" looks like. (http://www.mamamia.com.au/social/post-baby-body-taryn-brumfitt/)
Check out her "before and after" pics--I actually prefer the softer mom after to the sinewy weight-lifter before!

maestramommy
11-12-2013, 08:24 AM
That's awesome! She's really funny too, lol! I can relate to way too many of the wee incidents! I'm starting to accept that no amount of kegels is going to fix this.

hellokitty
11-12-2013, 08:30 AM
That was hilarious and very down to earth! I'm glad I read it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Fabulous! Thank you for posting. Thankfully my pelvic floor is in tact but I totally get the mummy tummy. I am now 1.8lbs from my pre-kids weight. And to get to this weight, I work out constantly and I certainly wasn't working out when I was this weight the first time. So my body should look better right? I do tons of crunches. But my tummy is not the same or better. It is floppy. Instead my fingers, calves, neck and face are much thinner but the tummy remains. A few months ago, while I was staring disgustedly at my paunchy tummy my DH came up and said "you created the two most amazing people on earth with that tummy. So what if it isn't flat. That is a badge of honor and it reminds me of how amazing and strong you are." It really gave me a new perspective. Of course I can't expect to have the same body as my pre-baby self. That body didn't do the amazing things that this body has done. So im trying to love my mummy tummy now.

Momit
11-12-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks for sharing, OP. And BabyBearsMom, your DH rocks! :)

TwinFoxes
11-12-2013, 09:03 AM
I loved "how to get a bikini body? put a bikini on your body!"

marymoo86
11-12-2013, 09:45 AM
So in line with the OPs article, I am almost back to my prepregnancy weight and of course, the tummy is not quite what it use to be but it is okay. However, my belly button is not the same showing the kind of saggy sad look of delivery :D

Will this change with diet/exercise or is it just going to be that way no matter what barring surgical intervention? Just curious.

Ceepa
11-12-2013, 09:50 AM
I think she's awesome. I love her attitude.

But we don't need to draw a comparison by labeling her body as a "real" post-baby body. Every woman who has carried a child has a real post-baby body, whatever that may look like.

elektra
11-12-2013, 10:17 AM
I definitely have the pee issues, and a gnarly varicose vein as a badge of honor. I think this woman sounds great, I did really enjoy the piece, but my brainwashing runs deep I suppose! I still think she looks 10 times better in her before pick- not too sinewy- just in great shape.
I was just watching dancing with the stars last night and thinking about how awesome our bodies are, all they can do, and trying to get motivated to move more get more flexible, etc. I do think that feeling good is the ultimate goal but for me that is still closely tied to looking good too. And to me, looking good would mean no bulging veins. Not sure if I could ever love that part of me!

TwoBees
11-12-2013, 10:19 AM
before I click...is this safe for work, or should I wait until I get home?

vonfirmath
11-12-2013, 10:24 AM
before I click...is this safe for work, or should I wait until I get home?

I'd wait to be home. There are scantily clad bodies

TwoBees
11-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Thanks, that's what I needed to know!

elektra
11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Nothing you wouldn't see on a magazine cover in your office lobby though probably. I do think we are generally more uncomfortable looking at these "real" bodies though! I don't think most people would bat an eye in terms of these pics being inappropriate if there were no stretch marks involved.

vonfirmath
11-12-2013, 11:17 AM
Nothing you wouldn't see on a magazine cover in your office lobby though probably. I do think we are generally more uncomfortable looking at these "real" bodies though! I don't think most people would bat an eye in terms of these pics being inappropriate if there were no stretch marks involved.

Our office lobby does not have magazines with scantily clad women on them, no matter whether the bodies are photoshopped or not.

The last place I worked was an Engineering company and they didn't have such magazines in their office lobby either.
At a doctor's office, etc you might see a magazine such as People. But they do tend to have more clothes on the cover pictures. At least so far as I've noticed.

wellyes
11-12-2013, 11:19 AM

She is wearing paper plates instead of a top. Same amount covered, very different effect!

rin
11-12-2013, 12:19 PM

But we don't need to draw a comparison by labeling her body as a "real" post-baby body. Every woman who has carried a child has a real post-baby body, whatever that may look like.

:yeahthat:

goldenpig
11-12-2013, 01:28 PM

I agree with you, I hate the phrase "real women" too. All women are real. I didn't pick the title though. In this case I took it to mean "this is what we really look like after babies" as opposed to some airbrushed photo.

goldenpig
11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
I definitely have the pee issues, and a gnarly varicose vein as a badge of honor. I think this woman sounds great, I did really enjoy the piece, but my brainwashing runs deep I suppose! I still think she looks 10 times better in her before pick- not too sinewy- just in great shape.
I was just watching dancing with the stars last night and thinking about how awesome our bodies are, all they can do, and trying to get motivated to move more get more flexible, etc. I do think that feeling good is the ultimate goal but for me that is still closely tied to looking good too. And to me, looking good would mean no bulging veins. Not sure if I could ever love that part of me!

OK elektra you're right, I looked at the before photo and it looks OK too. For some reason when I glanced at it, I thought it was one of those tan rippling hardbody weightlifter photos. Would love to have a flat tummy like that, but it's just not going to happen for me!

petesgirl
11-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Fabulous! Thank you for posting. Thankfully my pelvic floor is in tact but I totally get the mummy tummy. I am now 1.8lbs from my pre-kids weight. And to get to this weight, I work out constantly and I certainly wasn't working out when I was this weight the first time. So my body should look better right? I do tons of crunches. But my tummy is not the same or better. It is floppy. Instead my fingers, calves, neck and face are much thinner but the tummy remains. A few months ago, while I was staring disgustedly at my paunchy tummy my DH came up and said "you created the two most amazing people on earth with that tummy. So what if it isn't flat. That is a badge of honor and it reminds me of how amazing and strong you are." It really gave me a new perspective. Of course I can't expect to have the same body as my pre-baby self. That body didn't do the amazing things that this body has done. So im trying to love my mummy tummy now.

Is it ok if I just fell head over heels for your DH? That is SO SWEET of him to say that!

TxCat
11-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Your DH is awesome.

goldenpig
11-12-2013, 02:09 PM

BabyBearsMom, your husband rocks!

BabyBearsMom
11-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for sharing, OP. And BabyBearsMom, your DH rocks! :)

Is it ok if I just fell head over heels for your DH? That is SO SWEET of him to say that!

Your DH is awesome.

BabyBearsMom, your husband rocks!

Aw! Thanks ladies, he is really awesome. I lucked out with him and he has been incredibly supportive with my body image issues and my focus on achieving healthy body.

AnnieW625
11-12-2013, 05:11 PM
I have a great supportive DH as well and I like it. DD2 did ask me if I had a baby in my tummy recently, but I told her no and I think that question came about because 3 of the daycare kid moms had their second child recently so I think she was more curious than anything.

I am now as a second time mom a big believer in genetics. I am lucky to have my height because if I didn't I would be a spitting image post kids of my two great grandmas, one who was 5'3", and the other who was barely 5' tall. Body build has a lot to do with it too. My mom weights 20lbs less than I do, but if you put us next to each other you would think we weighed the same. I am lucky in that regard.

Thanks for sharing GP!:)

twowhat?
11-12-2013, 05:14 PM
I loved this! The dinner plates, LOLOL!!!

My DH has said similar things about my tummy. But, it doesn't make me feel any better about it:) It's just gross!!

american_mama
11-12-2013, 06:29 PM
I am endlessly curious about how others who have had babies regain their shape, from celebrities to ordinary people. I assume the celebrities are working out with personal trainers, having chef-prepared meals, and the pressure of their livelihood to make a difference. I also assume that there is a far amount of plastic surgery/cosmetic procedures for celebrities. But what about ordinary people? I look a lot like the mom in the article, but if I lost 20 pounds, would I? If I did the most effective ab exercises and lost weight, would I look like that? Would I have to become a little underweight to "compensate" for the mummy tummy?

marymoo86
11-12-2013, 06:40 PM
I am endlessly curious about how others who have had babies regain their shape, from celebrities to ordinary people. I assume the celebrities are working out with personal trainers, having chef-prepared meals, and the pressure of their livelihood to make a difference. I also assume that there is a far amount of plastic surgery/cosmetic procedures for celebrities. But what about ordinary people? I look a lot like the mom in the article, but if I lost 20 pounds, would I? If I did the most effective ab exercises and lost weight, would I look like that? Would I have to become a little underweight to "compensate" for the mummy tummy?

once the skin is stretched it will only be ore obvious with toned muscle underneath according to my OB and only surgical intervention will help. It is just extra sskin much like what happens when a very obese person loses a lot of weight.

crayonblue
11-12-2013, 06:46 PM

I am 5'7 and very long-waisted and after DD1 was born, I morphed back into my pre baby body within a couple of months with no effort other than breastfeeding. I was the same size as pre baby with no stretched out skin and not one stretch mark. I think it helped a LOT that I only gained 27 lbs. while pregnant. With DD3, I was 6 years older, started out 10 lbs. heavier, gained 60+ lbs. while on bed rest and did NOT morph right back into my previous shape! In fact, almost 4 years later and I am not where I want to be. In fact, I weigh more NOW than the end of my pregnancy with DD1. Gross.

twowhat?
11-12-2013, 06:51 PM
once the skin is stretched it will only be ore obvious with toned muscle underneath according to my OB and only surgical intervention will help. It is just extra sskin much like what happens when a very obese person loses a lot of weight.

Totally this. Once the skin is stretched, it only recovers up to a point. Only surgical intervention can fix that. I can suck in my abs to where they are totally flat (I have a diastasis) and it's clear as mud that all the sagging and wrinkling is all loose, stretched-out skin.

Which makes me think celebrities are either incredibly lucky (there are some folks with amazing skin elasticity but I wouldn't say that's the norm!) or have gotten plastic surgery for those bikini shots, or only "show" their bellies in photoshoppable moments like magazine covers.